SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Ray
Joseph
matilda
iCocker
alexbb
clioguy
10 posters

What tools do you have in your toolbox?

clioguy
    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

What tools do you have in your toolbox? Empty What tools do you have in your toolbox?

Post  clioguy Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:02 pm

Wanted to start a thread where we can know what kind of tools and hardware each of us use. This is especially aimed at the more "senior" or "experienced" members, so that us juniors (I still consider myself as a junior or inexperienced) can see what is a must have and what is just money down the bin. Photos and sources would not be a bad idea as well.

Thanks!
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

What tools do you have in your toolbox? Empty Re: What tools do you have in your toolbox?

Post  alexbb Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:33 pm

an industrial jack hammer with a 300 bar compressor to cut away my panel lines Twisted Evil a 24 inch paint roller Twisted Evil and a 2hp skorpion power saw to cut plastic off sprues. Twisted Evil

dont take any notice of me im still under the influence of ur recent trip, suffering from over eating, over tpecliq and over fun

nice idea that way we can shre our opinions on differt tools and methods lol! lol! lol! lol!

p.s. want to know anything on anything specific just fire away
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

What tools do you have in your toolbox? Empty Re: What tools do you have in your toolbox?

Post  iCocker Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Invest in a DREMEL power tool with minibits, that is one investment surely worth all the money!
    clioguy
    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  clioguy Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:54 pm

what about more basic tools and hardware? like what do you use to apply putty, what putty/filler, what tool to cut parts from sprues, etc?
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:55 pm

iCocker wrote:Invest in a DREMEL power tool with minibits, that is one investment surely worth all the money!

definetly ivan. most if not all the mini bits can come in handy
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:13 pm

clioguy wrote:what about more basic tools and hardware? like what do you use to apply putty, what putty/filler, what tool to cut parts from sprues, etc?
    i usually apply putty with dental probes these can be easily found nowadays in most online model shops el greco miniature have good ones besides(he is also maltese and a great guy i hear)

http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk/index1.html?lang=en-uk&target=search.html&lmd=0.3298563047579242,

as for cutting plastic from sprues i use a good quality flush cutting nipper
    What tools do you have in your toolbox? Nippex10
    matilda
    matilda
    Highly Commended
    Highly Commended

Post  matilda Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:17 pm

scriber.
    if u wanna i bring one to you in thursday
    bom
    clioguy
    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  clioguy Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:25 pm

matilda wrote:scriber.
    if u wanna i bring one to you in thursday
    bom

Thanks Stevan, but I have enough scribers. What I was after is the most basic tools. Personally, I tend to collect a great number of tools which I end up not using. Instead, I feel like I am missing the most important and basic tools. Eg, I don't have a flush cutter like Alex mentioned... instead I cut the parts off the sprue with scissors, then eat away at the remaining plastic with a knife (and usually damage the part in the process).

I also have rubbing compounds, dissolved putty, etc.... but then I have never used milliput (although I have it and it is still new).

So what I am looking at is.... what are the essential tools?
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:32 pm

Best tool for putty nad sculpting is the cheap toothpick dipped in superglue ... economy at it's best LOL
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:32 am

This is a list of the basic tools that one would require to start 'Scale Modelling', it may be seen a bit childish but this forms part of the handout we distributed to students during the summer school. Some copies are still available at club.

Modelling Tools
    To start building scale models, you need to create a "tool kit" of basic and some more specialized tools and materials. For the most part, inexpensive tools and materials are available and you can even find household and hardware items to fill up your tool kit. The basic tool/material list is:
    • hobby knife (standard #11 pointed blade)
    • cutting mat
    • sandpaper (#400 grit or finer wet or dry sandpaper)
    • liquid cement, white PVA glue and ‘super glue’
    • masking tape
    • modelling paints (the collection will be built along the time)
    • paint brushes (#00 and #1 size brushes)
    • putty or filler (A+B putty)
    • clamps or vices (number of different types)
    • needle files
    • pin drill + drill bits
    • a small pair of side cutter
    • scissors (cutting decal sheets)
    • toothpicks (to hold parts like wheels for painting or for stirring paint)
    • kitchen cleansers (for washing plastic parts)
    • small plastic or glass tubs or containers (to hold parts, for decal solutions and paint mixing)
    • plasticine or clay (for holding parts and weight distribution)
    • black ink (for detailing parts such as panel lines)
    • and tweezers (great for holding parts and positioning them).
    The big challenge is to learn to use each of the tools and make the most of them. Remember the old adage "A good workman (or craftsperson) never blames his tools".

Hope that this would answer some of your questions, and don't tell me that you are still using the scissors to cut the plastic parts!! so you were not paying attention during our talks on scale modelling Smile Smile

I for one do not posses any specialized or fancy tools, just the basic.

Duncan when are we going to start bending those photoetched parts Smile
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:21 am

Duncan you've just earned a COPY for your negligence Laughing

Write this 500 times "I must pay attention in class" and no you cannot use carbon paper and no you cannot use two biros lol!
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

What tools do you have in your toolbox? Empty For anything...

Post  Dottore Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:22 am

but the smallest PE parts I recommend a bending tool...though I doubt the diehards like cus Alex has one...I know Ivan has the latest generation one which is sweeeet!For the larger parts and especially fenders and boxes it is a must IMHO...

Echo the others re Dremel...its the only good thing I got from my last relationship and it saved my skin when 3hrs before leaving for euro the Cromwell turret didnt fit because the screw used to fix hull to base was hitting the breech...enter Mr Dremel and that was the end of the breech...just imagine hacking off a chunky plastic breech of a fully painted and weathered tank with anything else!

On another note I CANNOT not mention Gator Glue...you dont realise how precious it is until u start using it...which reminds me I'm running out of it so if someone is going to order any soon factor me in please...

And as Ivan mentioned good old tooth pics I find useful for applying glue...putty...removing glue remnants and a host of other things...

Apart from all the other basic tools mentioned above obviously...

Dottore
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:40 am

Dottore wrote:but the smallest PE parts I recommend a bending tool...though I doubt the diehards like cus Alex has one...I know Ivan has the latest generation one which is sweeeet!For the larger parts and especially fenders and boxes it is a must IMHO...

Echo the others re Dremel...its the only good thing I got from my last relationship and it saved my skin when 3hrs before leaving for euro the Cromwell turret didnt fit because the screw used to fix hull to base was hitting the breech...enter Mr Dremel and that was the end of the breech...just imagine hacking off a chunky plastic breech of a fully painted and weathered tank with anything else!

On another note I CANNOT not mention Gator Glue...you dont realise how precious it is until u start using it...which reminds me I'm running out of it so if someone is going to order any soon factor me in please...

And as Ivan mentioned good old tooth pics I find useful for applying glue...putty...removing glue remnants and a host of other things...

Dottore

cus you baffle me
    why cut the breech when you could have easily cut the top part of the screw with a disc cutter (black round flat things) whithout risking damage to the model, re etch mate i do have one but i only use it to bend long pe parts i prefer my pistarino square flat pliers
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:03 pm

I apply putty with an old blunted blade. i often add nail polish remover to make it more managable.

Joseph.. I have all the tools you mentioned, except i do not have needle files, ink? & scissors. I use surgical blades almost for everything.

You forgot loads of CLOTH for cleaning brushes/plastic, holding, protecting...

Also an important tool in your inventory... GLASS PAINT! (green & red) used for navigation lights & those green glass panels you find on helicopters king
    clioguy
    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  clioguy Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:08 pm

I am no longer using scissors to cut plastic because I did pay attention (frankajta il-COPY Ray!)

This is why I started this post. During the lessons I noticed how incorrect my tool box is. Now I have a Christmas shopping list!

Joe, are you coming to the club tomorrow? We can bend those PEs tomorrow, if you don't mind.....
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:31 pm

I have to agree that Etchmate is another gadget worth the investment especially when you need to do boxes and fenders which are long ...
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:59 pm

alex GIMLI wrote:
    Dottore wrote:but the smallest PE parts I recommend a bending tool...though I doubt the diehards like cus Alex has one...I know Ivan has the latest generation one which is sweeeet!For the larger parts and especially fenders and boxes it is a must IMHO...

Dottore

cus you baffle me
    why cut the breech when you could have easily cut the top part of the screw with a disc cutter (black round flat things) whithout risking damage to the model, re etch mate i do have one but i only use it to bend long pe parts i prefer my pistarino square flat pliers

Lurked in the shadows until I comprehanded exactly what went wrong lol!

Doc Roe, you are a LEGEND for PUNISHMENT lol!

So do you occasionally take off the turret to GAZE & ENJOY THE POINTED TIP OF THE SCREW??????? WAS IT A PHILIPS OR A FLAT SCREW??????? lol!

I HIGHLIGHTED YOUR NEAR ORGASMIC STATEMENT/EXPLANATION kemm int helu imma lol!
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

What tools do you have in your toolbox? Empty No Ray....

Post  Dottore Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:30 pm

The turret is fixed so I can't LOL...and it was a bolt!!!

Dottore
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Dottore wrote:The turret is fixed so I can't LOL...and it was a bolt!!!

Dottore

Could you have cut off the BOLT with MR.DREMEL instead of hacking at the breech? Sad
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

What tools do you have in your toolbox? Empty Common sense says....

Post  Dottore Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:14 am

that since neither breech nor bolt were visible...its much easier to cut away a plastic breech than a 4mm metal bolt!!!!
    As they say common sense is not common at all eh Ray? cheers

Dottore

Post  Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:09 am

not to barge in, when not unbolt the bolt???? Suspect Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:20 am

Dottore wrote:that since neither breech nor bolt were visible...its much easier to cut away a plastic breech than a 4mm metal bolt!!!!

Dottore

TRY & EXPLAIN THIS TO YOUR VENERABLE COUSIN SINCE HE INSTIGATED THIS DISCUSSION/BASHING RE YOU lol!
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:44 am

Dottore wrote:that since neither breech nor bolt were visible...its much easier to cut away a plastic breech than a 4mm metal bolt!!!!

Dottore

cus. we are talking about a dremel mini drill minimum 5000 rpm any cutter you where using would start melting the plastic and make cutting all the more difficult. now if you where using the dremel metal disc cutters (black round flat things) you could cut a 1cm stainless steel bolt in seconds let alone a 4mm soft steel bolt. this i was thought by our departed freind ray borg, god bless him. and yes you are right common sense is not that comom.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:11 pm

alex GIMLI wrote:

Dottore

cus. we are talking about a dremel mini drill minimum 5000 rpm any cutter you where using would start melting the plastic and make cutting all the more difficult. now if you where using the dremel metal disc cutters (black round flat things) you could cut a 1cm stainless steel bolt in seconds let alone a 4mm soft steel bolt. this i was thought by our departed freind ray borg, god bless him. and yes you are right common sense is not that comom.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

XI PJACIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIR Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Ray wrote:
    alex GIMLI wrote:

Dottore

LET THE GAMES BEGIN lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

XI PJACIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIR Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

idhak idhak ray
    what goes round comes around lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
    ejja lets get this place into normal running mode cos we slacked down a bit lately
    lol! lol! lol!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content