SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark

slingshot392
    slingshot392
    Silver
    Silver

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Empty Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark

Post  slingshot392 Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:28 am

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Box_art

My Space Ark is pretty much put together now, I just need to put a tiny bit of filler on a couple of seams on the Ark. Need to do just a tiny bit of sanding on a couple mold lines by the concrete supports and I will probably use some epoxy to glue the concrete supports/launch rails to the base. I will use a combination of painting and try out some railroad scenery on the base. The support for the rocket that's under the rocket on top of the launch rails isn't glued into place yet, so it's not in quite 100% yet. I put some primer on the plaque which is separate from the base and also put a little bit of primer down the seam on the rocket so I can see where it needs to just get touched with a little sandpaper and along the fin to make sure that area is smooth. Rocket is 10 1/2 inches long.

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Space_Ark_01

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Space_Ark_02

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Space_Ark_03

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Space_Ark_04

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Space_Ark_05

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Space_Ark_06

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Space_Ark_07

bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Empty Re: Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark

Post  bcauchi Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:50 am

Looking great Brad, it is a very nice scene although it is really simple and straightforward, with some careful painting it can look really great. Looking forward to seeing some paint on it.
    slingshot392
    slingshot392
    Silver
    Silver

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Empty Re: Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark

Post  slingshot392 Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:15 pm

Thanks Brian! There are an awful lot of parts to this model, but the fit has been amazing, easily the best model I have ever built. It's going to be fun going to town on the base! Considering it's a brand-new tool, it's a really great buy it only between $20-$25, depending where you buy it online.

I was missing one of the rocket engines on the wings, don't know if it was missing in the model was packaged or if somehow I knocked it off, I e-mailed the company Sunday night and had a response right away Monday morning and they got part to me in just a couple days, excellent customer service!

Besides some sci-fi, they are also working on some airplanes including a P-40 which I am really looking forward to!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:19 pm

What plans for the base? i think you need to put in some good groundwork unless you just want to leave it as it is and go for rocks. But it can be a good base for any kind of terrain.
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:21 pm

I know you will not agree but i don't like that nameplate there. It is bang in the middle of the base. I would use it but somehow place it elsewhere. The base will look great if it is the same unless you somehow merge the nameplate in, having grass overgrow it, for example.
    slingshot392
    slingshot392
    Silver
    Silver

Post  slingshot392 Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:01 am

bcauchi wrote:What plans for the base? i think you need to put in some good groundwork unless you just want to leave it as it is and go for rocks. But it can be a good base for any kind of terrain.

I do like the plaque that comes with the model, I guess because it's so closely resembles the text from the movie, especially when painted yellow and then Fabian from each side with some red.

I have decided that on the rocket, I will use the Silverleaf wax, the way I put it on puts on a very thin coat and also buffs it somewhat, I will probably put on two, possibly three coats before giving it a really good buffing and then I will put on a couple coats of Future to protect it.

The launch rails I will use the pewter wax and probably leave as is except for maybe the top of the rails, I will give it a little bit of a buffing, just to offset it a little bit.

The pylon supporting the launch rails I will do as a concrete color, I had thought of trying to texture the pylons, but considering it is supposed to be 1/350 scale, you wouldn't realistically be able to see any of the texture. Even so, I might try a test putting some paint on some scrap plastic and then blowing a little baby powder on it to see how it looks. I would want it to be very subtle.

For the base, I will put up a picture later tonight of one that was built out of the box by the Company for their advertisement, you will see the area of the base which is pretty much in the center which is rocks and dirt in the areas that are green on their base I will use some different things for shrubbery and grasses, I will be doing it as a fall setting just for some more colors.

The plaque is kind of large, in my pictures, I didn't have it pushed down all the way. Most people do the plaque in black and then painting the letters, what I am planning on doing is painting the letters and then taping them off. I have some textured spray paint that is supposed to look like rock, I just can't remember what color I bought, don't remember if it was more of the sand color or granite color, and will pick up the granite color if I don't have that. I will then paint the plaque with that, then after it's glued in place, I will put some of my gray railroad ballast around that going up the edges of the plaque, that way (hopefully), the plaque will look like it was carved out of granite. It will also put some of the railroad scenery over the railroad ballast on the edges of the plaque so the plaque isn't quite so in-your-face and hopefully will look like it's actually supposed to be part of the scenery.
    slingshot392
    slingshot392
    Silver
    Silver

Post  slingshot392 Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:12 am

I have been working on this on and off for a long time, the rocket has been giving me nothing but fits when it comes to painting and I think I painted it at least three if not four times already and then had to soak the paint off. I also tried Rub N Buff Silver Leaf which worked really good on other things, but was an absolute disaster on this model and it was even more of a nightmare to remove for some reason.

For a number of reasons, I always seem to have at least 4-8 models going in various stages and sometimes even mediums, I recently pulled the rocket out and spent some time cleaning it up again and now have it in Vallejo black primer, I will be using silver craft paint on it and then a couple coats of Future afterwards as the craft paint can be a little delicate. I also have the base in granite stone texture paint and now it's ready for some washing and dry brushing on the rocks and landscaping.

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Space_Ark_08

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Space_Ark_09

Pegasus Hobbies When Worlds Collide Space Ark Space_Ark_10
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:51 pm

Does it have to be silver? It looks really nice in black, makes one hell of a contrast with the ramp and base. That base looks good, you can really have some fun with detailing it now.
    slingshot392
    slingshot392
    Silver
    Silver

Post  slingshot392 Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:38 am

The rocket really does look good in black and it would definitely be something different. The rocket was silver in the movie, but the movie made mention of other rocket ships being built around the country and around the world, so I guess it would be feasible to have it in black, pretty much anything is feasible in the sci-fi world. I am thinking about it as it would be different than the normal and I have some Vallejo black to paint it. I wanted to do another one some time of it after it landed in the snow on the other planet, that one I would do in silver like in the movie.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 am