So, I'm sure you'll all agree that my first attempt at scratch building the seat belts was far from successful. Frankly It looked hideous.
But I wasn't going to give up, so here's my next attempt. I used thinner wire and carefully used tweezers to correctly shape the buckles:
Compared to a toothpick
Compared to the kit's decal
I purposely left the excess wire there until the belt was finished as I found it much easier to handle. The seat belt itself is made out of a 1mm strip of Tamiya tape, roughly twice the required length. I then passed the tape through the triangular buckle until the buckle was in the middle of the strip. Bending the tape around the buckle produced the correct length belt with the buckle at the end.
The other buckle was slightly trickier. I made a small ring out of wire for the buckle, bent the tape where the buckle would be positioned and passed the tape through the ring forming a loop. I then took another piece of wire, passed it through the loop and pulled back the tape to tighten the belt around the miniature buckle. Super Glue did rest.
I'm pretty pleased with the result, and compared to the decal, the scale is there.
Now it's just a question of making another one!
Once again, comments are welcome!
Bench: Bv 141 B, Ju 87 G-2, Macchi C.205, Arado Ar.234
Stash: Ju87D-3, Bf 109 E-3, Bf109 F-4/trop, Bf 109 G-10, He219....www.ScaleModelBench.com