SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Need some help on Vallejo

Need some help on Vallejo Empty Need some help on Vallejo

Post  Guest Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:10 pm

This paint is new to me, and i'm trying to paint the uniform of panzer crewmen
    and infrantry. I've tried German Uniform 085, but it appears to have too much blue
    in the green. Any suggestions on what Vallejo color is best.

In the past when i've used Tamiya, i've had good luck with XF-65 Field grey
    and sometimes i would use XF -22 RLM Grey.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Need some help on Vallejo Empty Re: Need some help on Vallejo

Post  Ray Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:49 pm

Lufttiger wrote:This paint is new to me, and i'm trying to paint the uniform of panzer crewmen
    and infrantry. I've tried German Uniform 085, but it appears to have too much blue
    in the green. Any suggestions on what Vallejo color is best.

In the past when i've used Tamiya, i've had good luck with XF-65 Field grey
    and sometimes i would use XF -22 RLM Grey.

Hi Luftriger Shocked

A nice surprise to find you here Laughing

My cardinal suggestion re Vallejo's is to STAY AWAY from them when painting uniform/clothing as they tend to dry with a satin finish, something very much undesired when depicting cloth Suspect

My cardinal suggestion on the other hand Twisted Evil is to use Andrea Color acrylics as you're SAFE that they will dry matt Very Happy

If for some reason you have to use Vallejo's I would suggest adding drops of Tamiya XF-21 Matt Finish......just don't trust Suspect Vallejo's at all!!!!

Re accuracy of uniform colours, I'm the wrong person to give you any feasable suggestions as I'm a complete ignorant cyclops re uniform colours/matches vis avis either Vallejo's or Andrea's to use straight out of the bottles pale but AFAIK all WWII figure painters mix their own uniform colours.

Until the AFV nuts come to your rescue, I would suggest Calvin Tan's and Jaume Ortiz's Osprey book on painting German WWII uniforms, that same book Ivan suggested in one of the AFV threads Idea

Hope I was of some help and if you need anything, just fire on........

Ray affraid

Post  Guest Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks Ray for your response, here's a couple of pics of one that i'm working on, the top uniform
    looks more blue here than in person.

Need some help on Vallejo Figele3Medium

Need some help on Vallejo Figele2Medium
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:05 pm

As far as I know, Anti Tank/Destroyer units wore the panzer uniform in a field grey colour. The piping on the shoulder straps were red (for motorized Artillery).

The field grey colour in the Vallejo range is 830 (102) German field grey.

However I prefer the Andrea NAC-04 Field grey. To get different shades I even mix the two together.

To highlight the Field grey I use Vallejo 976 (120) Buff and for more highlights I start adding Ivory. For shadows I add Black.

Need some help on Vallejo PB-tamfig1
    The guy on the left has a field grey type jacket and a grey trousers. The field grey for Anti Tank crews used to vary a lot from field green to grey.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Noel

Post  Guest Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks Noel, those figs are nicely done. I'm gonna have to stick with Vallejo, can't afford another brand
    right now.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content