SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Proximo41
Gordon
Joseph
skyhigh
Ray
Aldo
10 posters

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit

Aldo
    Aldo
    Bronze
    Bronze

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit Empty Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit

Post  Aldo Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:51 pm

Finally finished! This is an early version Heinkel He177 A-0 pre-series aircraft which was very much photographed and appears in most publications dealing with the particular aircraft.

A photo of this aircraft DL+AQ inspired me to switch from jet aircraft to World War 2 when I was still a young teenager and I have always wanted to build one. I used the Airfix kit not the better Revell one because I have six of the former (ok, ok I also have 8 Revell ones) and frankly did not know what to do with them. The way I see it, if I am going to chop off a lot of parts might as well use the oldies.

Conversion consistes of cut down fuselage shortened by about 30mm, lower tailfin & rudder, different engines and cowls, reworked prop blades, reshaped nacelles, new flaps, different glazing throughout, different exhausts and many many other little oddities like this.

The walk-lines were a nightmare and took around two weeks to do! I consulted Marco about the colour as this appeared very light in photos. Now normally, Luftwaffe walk lines are red but there are examples of white, grey, and brown. I opted for red and they came out perfectly - see the black & white photo.

Anyway, hope you like.

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit F0BWRepro

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit F2

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit F1

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit F20s

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit F3

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit F10

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit F13

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit F16

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit F19

Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit Empty Re: Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit

Post  Ray Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:14 pm

Same surgical strategy of Old is still reigning high Twisted Evil

Always refreshing to see your models I love you
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit Empty Re: Heinkel He177 A-02 - Conversion from Venerable Airfix Kit

Post  skyhigh Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:49 pm

Wow affraid beautiful Aldo just beautiful....the black and white looks more real ...welldone Aldo considering the airfix kit....... cheers
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:53 pm

Very nice, well done.
    Gordon
    Gordon
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Gordon Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:25 pm

well done Aldo
    Proximo41
    Proximo41
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Proximo41 Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:57 pm

bellezza Aldo, proset hi, min dejjem kien jogobni dal l ajruplan.

Post  Guest Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Very nice, well done!!

p.s. now do the others as well Smile
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Great model pres!

Interesting how the red changed to light grey in the monochrome image, contrary to the norm that red is darker in BW photos ... probably the result of the digitechnology ...

Iv
    Cyril.
    Cyril.
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Cyril. Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:04 pm

Well done Aldo, Very Happy

Another fantastic piece of work, up to your usual standard.

I quite like the undercarrage and the way it operated.

Cyril. Surprised Surprised
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Prosit Aldo another huge behemoth to add to your collection, love the way it turned out.
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Wayne Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Nice work Aldo and a very interesting subject.

Great model pres!

Interesting how the red changed to light grey in the monochrome image, contrary to the norm that red is darker in BW photos ... probably the result of the digitechnology ...

Iv

Ivan, I don't want to hijack Aldo's post but what you mention is very relevant to my degree thesis! I'm attempting to create an application that colourises ww2 greyscale images with the help of some user intervention.

I'm trying to find resources on what types of camera film was used during the war to determine the effect each had on colour.

I'd be really grateful if any of you guys have/could point me to this sort of information.

I can always start a new topic on the forum for this.

Thanks, and apologies to Aldo again for side tracking a bit

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:18 am

Wayne wrote:Nice work Aldo and a very interesting subject.

Great model pres!

Iv

Ivan, I don't want to hijack Aldo's post but what you mention is very relevant to my degree thesis! I'm attempting to create an application that colourises ww2 greyscale images with the help of some user intervention.

I'm trying to find resources on what types of camera film was used during the war to determine the effect each had on colour.

I'd be really grateful if any of you guys have/could point me to this sort of information.

I can always start a new topic on the forum for this.

Thanks, and apologies to Aldo again for side tracking a bit

Wayne more then the films you need to go indepth of what chemicals they used as developers, especially for BW. Colour was still in it's infant stage, so certain exposures created strange colours depending the chemicals. Beware that nowadays there are many digitally retouched wartime films and fotos.As I hinted and this example show digitally manipulated images [sepia and BW] play much different then the original BW. Nice interesting thesis mate ...as for film reel they already used 35mm but have a kind of lens that depicted strange subdued colours, as for fotos there were a mixture from large to minute negatives, Kodak was alreday one of the top brands ...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:59 am