1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Paul Salomone
    Silver
    Silver

1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Paul Salomone on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:38 am

Below are some picrures of the works in progress on the hull. The material used for the construction of the hull is 1mm thick grey cardboard, which can be found in 900mm x 1000mm sheets. The hull is made up of 6 to 8 laminations of this type of cardboard. and was sanded down like normal wood, once it has been treated with the primer paint.

Ageneral view of the hull which measures 3260mm

I had to modify the brass portholes on my lathe, in order to cut off the flange, as German portholes had no flange on the outside of the ship side; but was always on the inside. Around 300 portholes are required for both the starboard and portside of the ship.

The porthole eyebrows, made from 0.3mm copper wire.

The brass propeller spinners, turned on the lathe. An advise for all marine modellers. German Propeller spinners have a very different streamline then that of the Bristish and Allied counterparts. They are longer and the end of the spinners resemble the shape of a rocket.

A view of the Starboard side showing the propeller shafts and the "A" type support brackets.

Another view of the Starboard side with all the porthole eyebrows in place.

General view of the portholes and eyebrows.

A view of the Stern.

A close up of the bulbous bow, showing the echo sounder, and the raised inspecyion panels.

A view of the bows, showing the prop shafts, the "A" type brackets and the middle prop connection.

Starting the port holes on the Port side.

Genaral view of the port side.

bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Re: 1:72 Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  bcauchi on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Impressive Paul to say the least, what a huge beautiful beast you are building, it will be a life project.

Paul Salomone
    Silver
    Silver

1:72 scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser K.M.S. Scharnhorst 1943

Post  Paul Salomone on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks for your comment Brian, yes it will be a lengthy project, but not a life ime job. By March the hull details will be finished off pending camoflage and weathering. By the end of 2012, I must have the decking and the superstructure ready. By 2013 and 2014. the ship will be ready to be take the road faring rides for the exhibitions. I lost a lot of time with the house and furniture, and now I must really catch up and make good for the lost time, as i have to start on the real project the 1:35th scale K.M.S. Bismarck.
    Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Paul Salomone
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Paul Salomone on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Some pictures of the camoflage scheme as used in March 1943
    Scheme on the portside.

Scheme on the Starboard side.

A 3-dimensional view of the ship.

Front view of the hull.

David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:24 pm

What a massive project. You keep surprising us . By any chance are you doing a maginot line? Wink

D

Paul Salomone
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Paul Salomone on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:57 pm

David, do not tempt me. I have enough on my hands for the moment.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Majestic & Imperial to say the least Paul king

Honestly, your attention to detail is amazing, and shows that you've done a lot more then just your homework Twisted Evil

It will be a show stopper for sure I love you

Paul Salomone
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Paul Salomone on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:52 am

Thanks Ray, for your comments. the only thing that is worrying me is how to create the shadows and highlights for all the guns and fittings, but I guess I will have to take it step by step. At the end I must decide, or to have the model finished as a museum mnodel, or with some minor weathering and drybruching to highlight the details, or to go for the real thing and finish the model as should be.
    below are some wartime colour photos of the Scharnhorst some time after commissioning, showing the straight bow, prior to the refit to include the atlantic bow and enlarge the bulbous bow.

iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:30 am

A mammoth of a project ... i respect modellers who take such a challenge!

But please you have been timing this for ages, now that you are upgrading to a show stopper do not not rush the finishing, to me such a beast finished in simple museum quality with the drastic dry brush style will look an unfinished project ... so why not start working areas at a time and at lesat detail them with pin washing and subtle weathering, at least you'll be releaved from the ongoing scratchbuilding ... that would be my idea ...

By the way take a peep here, these might help you out with some accessories ...

http://www.rbmodel.com/index.php?action=products&cat=news

Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 am

iCocker wrote:A mammoth of a project ... i respect modellers who take such a challenge!

But please you have been timing this for ages, now that you are upgrading to a show stopper do not not rush the finishing, to me such a beast finished in simple museum quality with the drastic dry brush style will look an unfinished project ... so why not start working areas at a time and at lesat detail them with pin washing and subtle weathering, at least you'll be releaved from the ongoing scratchbuilding ... that would be my idea ...

By the way take a peep here, these might help you out with some accessories ...

http://www.rbmodel.com/index.php?action=products&cat=news

Paul, ABIDE with this quote (which echoes MOST opinions for sure) & you can't go wrong Twisted Evil

Don't forget that 1:72nd scale for ships is a Mammoth Scale pale

Good Luck cheers

Paul Salomone
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Paul Salomone on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:16 am

You are both right, I know that I have to finish the model in the best way possible. As a matter of fact, I will finish off the full with all the related details in base colour, so that I can display it for the March 2012 Exhibition. then I will continue with the superstructure, which is a challange in itself. When it's time to have a break, I will continue with the Smaller things, such as the anti aircraft guns and stowage boxes, and experiment with the finishes, to get the optimum result.

Next Saturday, I will start working on the Chimney. At least that will surely keep me going during the night.

Ivan, with regards to the 20mm Flakvierling installations on board the Scharnhorst, the mountings were were different then those normally used on land. As a matter of fact the Flakvierling was at first intended to be a naval weapon to be mounted only on the Kriegsmarine vessels. but the High Command saw it's ability as a land based weapon as well. tomorrow I will post some pitures of the mounting.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:18 am

and ships in 1/48 scale are a mammoth tusk Twisted Evil

Paul Salomone
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Paul Salomone on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:45 am

I guess all model ships in latge scale are a huge and difficult task. the bigger they are, the more detail you have to add to the model, and believe me, you must include all the details to the last conduit, brackets, bolt heads, rivets and any other ancillary equipment and fittings found on the real thing.
    1:48 is a much larger scale then 1:72, so yes you are right David ships in 1:48 scale are a mamoth task, especially the period ship that you are constructing; which was built in the age where copper and brass and shine, was the must and order of the day.

cheers cheers cheers

iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:54 am

No quarrel guys both of you are doing a masterpiece, and not forget HMS Hood by Romeo which is another large scale scratch ... BUT it is time to show these gems to the general public, useless keep them in your studios, viewers including as would like to admire and discuss teh project as is, we know these are gonna take time to be finished so lets at least see the progress during next expo ... bring them as they are, it's a living sbs on show : )

David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:45 am

Guys it was just a pun

I said Tusk not Task

D

Current date/time is Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:48 pm