SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

A-3B Skywarrior - WIP, advanced

A-3B Skywarrior - WIP, advanced Empty A-3B Skywarrior - WIP, advanced

Post  Guest Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:46 pm

A-3B skywarrior, finally taking shape and form after years laying around unpainted. The decals were not up to standard being old and white not white. Did retouch the white check on the tail with paint but not happy, so most likely to leave the rest as is, instead of ruining the model. Same - acrylic wash Sad
    A-3B Skywarrior - WIP, advanced IMG_1381
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

A-3B Skywarrior - WIP, advanced Empty Re: A-3B Skywarrior - WIP, advanced

Post  Ray Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:06 am

Was going to reply on the Crusader thread re acrylic wash, as IMHO Oils are unbeatable (their depth of tone & the way they dry are two factors) for this procedure, but on the pics it looks OK Suspect

And I applaud you for leaving the checkerd as it is as it would have required superhuman efforts if at least you couldn't mask the procedure Sad

Ray affraid
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

A-3B Skywarrior - WIP, advanced Empty Washes....

Post  Dottore Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:24 am

Insomma Ray have been experimenting with enamel washes and I quite like the results....they dry matt and errors can be easily wiped off with some thinner without leaving any sheen....

Just a thought....

Dottore

PS I am referring to pin washes here not filters.....
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:34 pm

Dottore wrote:Insomma Ray have been experimenting with enamel washes and I quite like the results....they dry matt and errors can be easily wiped off with some thinner without leaving any sheen....

Just a thought....

Dottore

Doc, I use Oil washes where applicable that is Oils + white spirit......never used enamels (enamels are humbrols for example) AFAIK pale

Ray affraid
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:43 pm

joe just one question
    do you ever sleep?
    keep em rolling
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:37 pm

Dottore wrote:have been experimenting with enamel washes and I quite like the results

I HATE enamel washes! they've screwed up many planes! they change colour when they dry and sometimes almost disappear. they leave behind grainy looks instead of a nice dirty line
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:55 pm

AdriaN wrote:
    Dottore wrote:have been experimenting with enamel washes and I quite like the results

I HATE enamel washes! they've screwed up many planes! they change colour when they dry and sometimes almost disappear. they leave behind grainy looks instead of a nice dirty line

Adrian, don't take no notice of Doc Roe as he's still living in the DARK AGES, as I told him I NEVER SAID THAT I USE ENAMEL WASHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really don't know from wher he conjured this up pale ? Maybe from where he read or saw re that STONE AGE FLOOR POLISH!!!!!!!!!

You know what Adrian? I've been a member since 1986 (Doc was still catching and torturing poor innocent cocroaches as a hobby in the name of SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH......well you just smash them ugly things to pulp and that's it hux Twisted Evil ) and way back then, the top Aircraft nuts were ALREADY way ahead and using PROPER enamel gloss finish and PROPER enamel matt finish What a Face Idea

Ray affraid
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

A-3B Skywarrior - WIP, advanced Empty Ray....

Post  Dottore Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:33 am

Brian uses Klear.......and he's one of the best Aircraft modellers.....

Dottore

....sorry Ray! cat
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:12 am

Dottore wrote:Brian uses Klear.......and he's one of the best Aircraft modellers.....

Dottore

....sorry Ray! cat

I APOLOGIZE and take it BACK, in the SAME way I SAID it, as I REALLY NEVER KNEW Brian uses Klear Floor Polish What a Face Sad

However, I NEVER USED/USE ENAMEL WASHES pale

Luv Ya to Bits I love you

Ray affraid
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:06 pm

Ray wrote: that STONE AGE FLOOR POLISH!!!!!!!!!

Ray affraid

*gulp* Are you referring to Klear floor shine? i just recieved 2 by post this morning Wink i finally got my hands on that thing i use to drool on and dream about on the internet. really.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:59 pm

AdriaN wrote:
    Ray wrote: that STONE AGE FLOOR POLISH!!!!!!!!!

Ray affraid

*gulp* Are you referring to Klear floor shine? i just recieved 2 by post this morning Wink i finally got my hands on that thing i use to drool on and dream about on the internet. really.

Adrian, good luck and enjoy REALLY as I never FATHOMED (during these 23yrs of SSM) that someone like Brian was using Kleer No pale Embarassed
    Even though I've been into figures since 1995 and as Marco calls me TRADITUR, I did some aircraft in my early years of SSM and believe me I had no idea that anyone at SSM was actually using Kleer and if the finish Brian gets is with Kleer, then go ahead and use it as Brian's models are just AWESOME!!!

After all this was not re Kleer per se Evil or Very Mad it was re NON EXISTENT enamel wash which I was afraid you might get the wrong indoctrination when ACTUALLY I never used enamels, gotch it Question
    I mentioned the Kleer re reasons specified above and again I wish you luck with your long awaited drool Laughing (loved that, as we all drool like kids over some thing or the other in this crazy hobby of ours Cool )

Ray affraid

Post  Guest Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:40 pm

I think that abroad they make a lot of fuss about this klear. Used it, a long time ago on the avenger and the white has yellowed more that it did on other models with Revell or modelmaster clear. That was the first and last time I used it, apart when I have a scratched canopy, which when dipped in this klear comes out shining clear and the scratches gone, if no trouble occurs during the drying process. This is the only use I have for this klear and only use it as a last resort.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:01 am

Dottore wrote:Insomma Ray have been experimenting with enamel washes and I quite like the results....they dry matt and errors can be easily wiped off with some thinner without leaving any sheen....

Just a thought....

Dottore

Sorry for misinterpreting you Twisted Evil but, you COULD have icluded a COMMA after the Ray and you could have said I HAVE, not that CONTINIUOS BLABBER pale

Again SORRY REALLY IT IS MY FAULT What a Face I think the decals got to me much before they got to Joseph Sad

Ray affraid
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:08 am

FJ wrote:I think that abroad they make a lot of fuss about this klear. Used it, a long time ago on the avenger and the white has yellowed more that it did on other models with Revell or modelmaster clear. That was the first and last time I used it, apart when I have a scratched canopy, which when dipped in this klear comes out shining clear and the scratches gone, if no trouble occurs during the drying process. This is the only use I have for this klear and only use it as a last resort.

I havnt really used my new Klear, since i do not know exactly with what to clean it with! Crying or Very sad
    its amaizing how light and thin this Klear is Shocked
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:12 am

Ray wrote:

Just a thought....

Dottore

Sorry for misinterpreting you Twisted Evil but, you COULD have icluded a COMMA after the Ray and you could have said I HAVE, not that CONTINIUOS BLABBER pale

Again SORRY REALLY IT IS MY FAULT What a Face I think the decals got to me much before they got to Joseph Sad

Ray affraid

Haha now (at the club) everything made sense. i couldnt understand why u were so 'angry' at Dott. I understood what he said about his washes. Its you who missunderstood him :p lol!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:39 am

AdriaN wrote:
    Ray wrote:

Just a thought....

Dottore

Ray affraid

Haha now (at the club) everything made sense. i couldnt understand why u were so 'angry' at Dott. I understood what he said about his washes. Its you who missunderstood him :p lol!

Sad Adrian, I'm reknown for my GAFFS and BLUNDERS so nothing new here and as I said, the adrenalin build up prior to Folkestone, plus the non arrival of the expected DIII decals have decayed my brain cells even more What a Face Sad pale Embarassed

What a crazy bunch we are eh.......old gaffers we may be, but we're still young at heart I love you

Ray affraid

Post  Guest Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:27 pm

Actually Ray is right about the misunderstanding cause what the Dott.. wrote, without a coma, etc........................ ,the way, it is written, implies that ray has been using the enamels as a wash and the dott liked the results achieved by Ray. So next time, use a coma, every time, you write, a sentence,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..just in case I left one out Very Happy Twisted Evil
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

A-3B Skywarrior - WIP, advanced Empty Adrian...

Post  Dottore Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Youre fast becoming one of my favourite SSM brothers cheers
    I get the stick from Ray very often for nothing...just as a big brother picks on the younger sibling affraid
    HAHAHAHA

As for Klear....U clean the airbrush after using it with Windex or Windolene or any other ammonia based window cleaner...Hard/impossible to find in Malta but I have loads so if you need let me know.

As for Joseph F...I havent used Klear myself but on foreign forums everyone raves about it...many use it to precoat before decals esp on AFVs where colour is not such an issue. I DONT KNOW IF IT YELLOWS WITH TIME...but never heard anyone mention it not even on airplane/aviation forums....and it happened to you just once so maybe it merits abnother trial on another maybe scrap model for investigation.

Brian uses the KLEAR on canopies too as does JF so even if you dont use it to gloss the entire model BELIEVE me it does make a difference to the canopies making them much clearer...even if you dont have any scratches to eliminate!

My thoughts.

Dottore
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:47 pm

Dottore wrote:

As for Klear....U clean the airbrush after using it with Windex or Windolene or any other ammonia based window cleaner...Hard/impossible to find in Malta but I have loads so if you need let me know.

Dottore

Sur Dott, I went to the iron monger and he said ammonia is very hard to find and youv just said that Windolene & Windex is hard to find... great im screwed!Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Iv tried using water to clean my brush and it works but im insecure about cleaning my AB with water, esp in this weather! Can you get some ammonia or window cleaner next time?
    Btw i tried your cervi-swap brush. works well but im gonna trim some plastic so it will fit better in some places. <-Dont take that double sensed tongue
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:34 pm

try phamacies, or supermarkets there is an ammonia based product which i cant remember at the moment which is used for dry cleaning purposes as for clear coating models i find nothing better than the tamiya acryllic clear cote a thin layer is all you need, even on enamels and it protects the paint without yellowing. i thin mine with isoprop alcohol and it works all the time
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:36 pm

adrian another solution for cleaning your brush/airbrush is bardhal carb cleaner sprey from autoparts shops one word of warning though always use in a very very very well ventilated area
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:39 pm

alex wrote:adrian another solution for cleaning your brush/airbrush is bardhal carb cleaner sprey from autoparts shops one word of warning though always use in a very very very well ventilated area

No no cleaning is no problem, i use white spirit for enamels. its just cleaning it from this Klear whic im not sure about...

Is this tamiya clear cote matt or gloss?
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:54 pm

i was refering to klear. carb cleaner is a universal cleaner with loads of carbon tetra chloride which is the most powerful and dangerous solvent on earth you can even clean dried up hardend two part spray paint with it
    as for tamiya clear NEVER I REPEAT NEVER use the tamiya matt cote to spray a matt finnish it is not a matt varnish but a matting agent for paint, i was refering to the acryllic tamiya clear which is a gloss coat
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:57 pm

alex wrote:i was refering to klear. carb cleaner is a universal cleaner with loads of carbon tetra chloride which is the most powerful and dangerous solvent on earth you can even clean dried up hardend two part spray paint with it
    as for tamiya clear NEVER I REPEAT NEVER use the tamiya matt cote to spray a matt finnish it is not a matt varnish but a matting agent for paint, i was refering to the acryllic tamiya clear which is a gloss coat

Id better go with window cleaner rather than carb cleaner Wink i think ill stick with enamel coats of model master..

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:32 pm