I was sure that I had posted previously here on the forum some in progress photos of this, but I can't find them if I did! I have been building this for a couple of years at least, and thanks to our Polish friend here on the forum, Jerzy Ciupek, I got some much needed info. I have been mixing the colours for the camo myself, but I am not happy with the green here as I think that it is too light (the shade is much closer than in the photos), so I will add some more chrome green to the mix and respray the whole colour. I have added so of the dark green today but no photos yet, and there is some retouching required. The dark green seems to be a good match for Humbrol no. 3 emerald green.
The real aircraft:
Last edited by Scirocco on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Some more update pictures. I airbrushed the light green with a slight brown added to the previous mix, and now I am more satisfied with the tones of the camo scheme. Now starting to mask the leading edges for the aluminium finish, and some black panels next to the exhausts. Some touch ups are still required to the camo colours, mostly on the dark green areas. The nose cone is going to be the same colour as the wheels, as most Russian aricraft, as this is going to be finished as 1406, which seems to have the cone either replaced at some time or something happened and it remained in that colour, although there are photos with the cone in the camo colours as well. The aluminium on the prop blades will be narrower as I mistakenly follow the engraved lines on the kit, and they are way too wide with the real thing.
Now in the final stages. Still needs some aerials and a couple of antennas. There is also a frame on the bulged observation window which is not in the camo colour which I still need to add. There are also two small doors for the main undercarriage which still will not be visible in these views even when added.
As can be seen in the middle photo, I opted to make the windows from punched plastic sheet instead of Micro Kristal Klear, as the latter tends to dry deep in the holes, even though I thin them from inside to leave a sharp edge as possible. I attached small pieces of Tamiya masking tape to hold them with, then once dry I pulled them off with a pair of tweezers. (Photo cropped and oversharpened!)