SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
David
Wayne
bcauchi
Ray
skyhigh
iCocker
10 posters

Malta International Airshow ...

iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Malta International Airshow ... Empty Malta International Airshow ...

Post  iCocker Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:37 pm

... is it me but I am seeing this annual event getting worst year in year out, not that I fancy not seeing the Red Arrows [we have seen them enough] but having just one jet fighter [basically a Hawk trainer] flying ????? ... the only good idea this week was the Spitfire flypass over the Grandharbour and the Libyan Chinook ... but a flypass with the 'Hawaiin' Airmalta is not something so exciting to me, it's a military show [was] not a civil airline cheap PR!

Bring back the old days when we had a modest yet good airshow ... that was the day when we saw the Phantom skimming the Grandharbour!

Am I getting old and grumpy?
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Malta International Airshow ... Empty Re: Malta International Airshow ...

Post  skyhigh Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Ivan I was there yesterday ...I still go for this Airshow even for one aircraft flying display.. because it's only ones in a year ....

But the thing is, that these organizers or call them what ever... how much they are disorganized in these shows ...

We were waiting all that time to see the last display of the Spitfire , after the pilot took off and start to see something worth it ,,

Came these a#### bunch of civil dressed with orange vest together with some AFM soldiers pushing us back and with the F### landrovers..

Just in time of the display , you could hear the response from them how much they are arrogant , and have no respect for us visitors...

And this year for such event getting worst year in year the fee was higher... Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:03 am

skyhigh wrote:Ivan I was there yesterday ...I still go for this Airshow even for one aircraft flying display.. because it's only ones in a year ....

But the thing is, that these organizers or call them what ever... how much they are disorganized in these shows ...

We were waiting all that time to see the last display of the Spitfire , after the pilot took off and start to see something worth it ,,

Came these a#### bunch of civil dressed with orange vest together with some AFM soldiers pushing us back and with the F### landrovers..

Just in time of the display , you could hear the response from them how much they are arrogant , and have no respect for us visitors...

And this year for such event getting worst year in year the fee was higher... Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Get out of the F&^%#$*& way & give SECURITY its due PRIORITY you Morons lol! lol! lol!
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:32 am

The iconic moment was the flypass by the Spitfire and the new Airmalta ... wooooooooow so exciting, a moment of Malta's aviation history [as some said over the Times Blog]! ;p

bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 pm

I only went to see the Spitfire fly, no other reason whatsoever. If it weren't for the spitfire it would not even have been worth seeing for free let alone paying 12 euro. But of course, the Spitfire is always worth it, whatever it costs!!
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Wayne Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:37 pm

bcauchi wrote:I only went to see the Spitfire fly, no other reason whatsoever. If it weren't for the spitfire it would not even have been worth seeing for free let alone paying 12 euro. But of course, the Spitfire is always worth it, whatever it costs!!

I share the same feeling. Pity the noisy airbus spoilt a bit of the merlin music, but hearing it start, smelling the exhaust and seeing that MkIX in the air was breathtaking nonetheless. My next wish is seeing the spit's nemesis the 109 and it's partner in crime the 190 in the air. Twisted Evil

Guess a trip to Germany is in order...

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:24 am

That would be a dream Wayne seeing a dogfight over the Malta again, but who gonna come over hopping to Malta with a rare 109? If not mistaken neither the one in UK is still flying?

It is a wonder seeing the old birds still flying ... for that a big merit to the organisers for bringing this back ... yet we still wonder for the future ... continue like this gonna be a death sentence!
    David
    David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:33 pm

At the air wing they had a me108 in full WWII scheme

Thought they were going to use it in dogfight

D
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:59 am

Wayne wrote:
    bcauchi wrote:I only went to see the Spitfire fly, no other reason whatsoever. If it weren't for the spitfire it would not even have been worth seeing for free let alone paying 12 euro. But of course, the Spitfire is always worth it, whatever it costs!!

I share the same feeling. Pity the noisy airbus spoilt a bit of the merlin music, but hearing it start, smelling the exhaust and seeing that MkIX in the air was breathtaking nonetheless. My next wish is seeing the spit's nemesis the 109 and it's partner in crime the 190 in the air. Twisted Evil

Guess a trip to Germany is in order...
    I share th same feelings...it's getting poorer every year....the only reson I went was to hear Merlin music in my deaf ears Laughing Laughing Laughing ...put my hearing aid full on and managed to hear that magical sound.....marred by the sound of the APU of the Air Malta A320 which will now be having BINGO for goodness sake in flight.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
    they should now put slot machines in their empty pantries now they will not be serving any food....ludicrous just ludicrous...it pains my heart ...to hear these things....once proud Air Malta having bingo on their flights./...shame !
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:46 am

Prosit Nan. That should they have mentioned the advent of Bingo in the skies not a'historical flight' with a Spitefire! By itself No ... LOL

Ivan
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:05 am

How can you say getting worse?? Mad 2010 was an amazing airshow! 2009 & 2011 were good ones too! better than 2007/08. This year we were just unlucky with the reds and americans cancelling at the last minute.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:39 am

Obviously as you do not remember the 'original' premier airshows ... the last good one for me was when we had Merlins over Malta, [forgot the date] with a good selection of jets [including the only time US airforce made a show with the B1] and the mythical Hurricane and Spite in Maltese schemes ... regarding red arrows I have seen them enough, so I do not really miss them though for marketing issue and having 'normal' people coming in which finally they make up for the upcoming next airshow that was a big drop ... but then seeing just a hawk flying and a Spitfire flying with an Airbus sorry that shows much to be desired and paying 12 Euro per head daily is a joke ... yet again that what we have u bhas-soltu u bhal hafna affarijiet lokali nikuntentaw bieghhom!

By the way and what the US Airforce cancelled for, been hearing this every year, I am still waiting the A10 from a decade ago, first because there was the Balkan crisis, then because they were transfered from Sigonella ... etc etc, and this always happen the day just before the event ... hallinha ta' ... better say it is getting difficult and expensive to bring over such material!

During the Libya Crisis we had better selection : )
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Ivan Merlins over Malta was on Sept 2005.........

and don't boughter anymore with these, Airshow if you call it an airshow, organizers... there interest is only in money... and for them a flying vintage aircraft is crap... Evil or Very Mad
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:03 pm

iCocker wrote:Obviously as you do not remember the 'original' premier airshows ... )

Ivan, how old did you think i am? 15 jew? Sad
    I remember all the premier airshows very much! especially the last 11 years with much detail. INCLUDING 1993 Twisted Evil
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Maybe you can all console yourselves with this:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20121003/local/safi-aviation-park-to-hold-open-day.439475

FREE ENTRANCE Suspect

Tankred afro
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:41 am

Tancred wrote:Maybe you can all console yourselves with this:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20121003/local/safi-aviation-park-to-hold-open-day.439475

FREE ENTRANCE Suspect

I think we missed the boat big time here ... as a club with the best aircraft talent on the island we should have made a display, at least maybe we try to get noticed by Lufthansa and Medavia ... everyone is taking part from schools to the Aviation Museum ...
    Maxi_Model
    Maxi_Model
    Highly Commended
    Highly Commended

Post  Maxi_Model Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:34 am

As already said in previous posts, the airshow is really getting poorer and the ticket cost higher, these organisers are not giving a damn about others because they have the luxury of flying out to UK and other places and watch real airshows, and who knows if they are not doing it with the money they collect from the local airshow.

I only failed to attend 2 airshows in these 20 years they are organising it, the 2001 (twin tower attacks) and this year. The Spitfire was the only real attraction and to disappoint more the general public and the enthusiasts, the Reds did not make it either (because of the incident they had).

I can say that even the first airshow they organised (in which they were still green on how to do it) was far better than these last 3 shows, there were Bucaneers, camberras a scimitar, French Display team, etc etc.

The last airshow that was to be called an "Airshow" was that of 2006, from then it started degrading to what we had this year, only (approx) 15 airscrafts showed up, and from these 15 only 8 were jets (mostly of the same type). So how can you call it an airshow with only 15 aircrafts for display, it was more like a static show first of all, because most aircrafts were on the ground and not flying, second we had more aircrafts coming in and out when there was the Libya war, than in this.

Dornier228MR (x1)- props
    Piaggio P-166 (x1) - props
    Boeing E-3A Sentry (x1) - jets
    C-130J-30 Hercules (x1) - props
    Hawk (x1 / x2) - jets
    Tucano (x1 / x2) - props
    Eurofighter Typhoon FGR.4 (x2) - jets
    Tornado GR.4 (x2) - jets
    Fairchild C-26D Metro 23 (x1) - props (more of a passenger aircraft)

The rest were just fillers like microlights, cessnas, diamond and other small local aircraft that are normally parked at park 2 & 3 and moved them to park 4 to show a little more volume, and for this I have to pay 12 euros? NAH, if you wanted to see the spit you could have easily stood outside the fence.

Not even the Netherlands F-16 is coming any more which used to make a big roar in each airshow, and the F-4 phantoms that used to come and Harriers.....

The Spitfire is worth to watch and hear but not worth paying that price, now they are exagerating with entrance fees. At fairford you pay approx 50 euros, but you see 100s of real aircrafts not 15.

Here are a couple of photos I took on arrival, I hope you like them

Malta International Airshow ... 471063_4705216072387_1573115383_o
    Malta International Airshow ... 616100_4705348875707_492669931_o
    Malta International Airshow ... 470951_4705351635776_1370239549_o
    Malta International Airshow ... 290408_4704601537024_1852526909_o
    Malta International Airshow ... 322622_4705349515723_957699289_o
    Malta International Airshow ... 324136_4705350115738_931469539_o
    Malta International Airshow ... 242189_4705351195765_942346624_o

I hope that this little airshow of ours will be revived once more as it used to be.

Regards

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:38 pm