HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Share

    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2019
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 68
    Location : Qawra Malta

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  in nannu pec on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:22 pm

    Ray wrote:You work like a Veteran when you are definitely not cheers


    agreed...!!!!!!!!!!!!! well done Robert...well done !!!!!
    inannu Cool

    Robert
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2012-06-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Haz-zebbug

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Robert on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:56 pm




    Robert
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2012-06-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Haz-zebbug

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Robert on Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:10 pm

    Maybe someone can help me in this please...

    I had to cover a part with masking tape and i chose Acrylic paint for this part(paint and varnish) but after spraying it i left it few minutes to dry .The problem is, when i took off the masking off i also took the varnish ...shall i remove the masking tape as soon i finsh spray?

    Next question Smile

    i sprayed model master thinned with white spirit. How long do you think it will take to drys completely . coz after 24hrs its still a bit sticky..


    David
    Silver
    Silver

    Posts : 420
    Join date : 2009-07-22
    Age : 54

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  David on Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:17 pm

    Try using low tack tamiya masking tape and avoid thinning with white spirit for spraying

    D

    Robert
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2012-06-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Haz-zebbug

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Robert on Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:03 pm

    David wrote:Try using low tack tamiya masking tape and avoid thinning with white spirit for spraying

    D

    I used tamiya masking ....if not white spirit what shall I use pls

    David
    Silver
    Silver

    Posts : 420
    Join date : 2009-07-22
    Age : 54

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  David on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:00 am

    Unless you're using acryilics I normally use cellulose thinner but never over white spirit undercoats as it dissolves previous coats
    Probably the masking tape lifted the pait because it did'nt adhere to the plastic either being applied direct to plastic without primer. tape tends to stick more to gloss finnish.
    These are basic tips. Its better it you talk to J Fenech as he did some spraying lately!

    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2019
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 68
    Location : Qawra Malta

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  in nannu pec on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:10 am

    Robert wrote:
    David wrote:Try using low tack tamiya masking tape and avoid thinning with white spirit for spraying

    D

    I used tamiya masking ....if not white spirit what shall I use pls

    I use cellulose thinner as well Robert (fina)...I also use Humbrol Maskol which is quite convenient...at times...
    In nannu Cool

    J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2103
    Join date : 2009-08-01
    Age : 42
    Location : MALTA - South

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  J.Fenech on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:28 pm

    About the enamels/white spirit question - I mix both modelmaster and humbrol enamels with white spirit and I have found that the end finish is much much better than using cellulose as a thinning medium. One thing I have been doing is removing from the jar/tin that 'oily looking' medium first thing, leaving the color pigment that had settled on the bottom of the jar/tin. I remove most of this 'oily looking' medium, replacing it and thinning with white spirit followed a good mix/stir of the paint. The only problem with this mix is that unused paint may/may not last long but it seems not to be a set rule as I have used mixed paint that is over 1 year old and thrown away ones that where 1 month old mix! Use good quality white spirit. It might take slightly longer to dry than cellulose (personally found there is not that much difference in scale modelling, especially with matt paints) but paint sprays and settles much better than with cellulose.(managed to spray/mask a 1/48 spitfire in WWII temperate scheme in about a day, started early morning and finished in late evening) I use cellulose almost only for airbrush cleaning. Important - do not spray cellose thinned paint on white spirit thinned paint. All said, the choice of thinner to use is yours and you decide which one you prefer and feel comfortable to use.


    About the masking problem, if you removed the varnish with the masking tape it means that the varnish did not adhere to the undercolor. Maybe somebody who uses acrylics can help since I do not use them. I do encounter such problem, but not that common, mostly when tryimg to mask modelmaster/humbrol metallic colors and the varnish had a nasty habit of coming off with the masking tape no matter what. Luckily such problem I resolved when I started to use Alcad metallic colors. Another problem area where you might encounter trouble is when removing masking tape around canopy frames. If there is some build up of varnish in this area, paint/varnish might get peeled off when removing the tape. A solution to this problem is to use a new blade and just lightly go around the edge of the masking tape before removing the tape. Try as much as possible to avoid paint build up in this area.
    Hope that this has been helpful.


    Robert
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2012-06-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Haz-zebbug

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Robert on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:44 pm

    J.Fenech wrote:
    About the enamels/white spirit question - I mix both modelmaster and humbrol enamels with white spirit and I have found that the end finish is much much better than using cellulose as a thinning medium. One thing I have been doing is removing from the jar/tin that 'oily looking' medium first thing, leaving the color pigment that had settled on the bottom of the jar/tin. I remove most of this 'oily looking' medium, replacing it and thinning with white spirit followed a good mix/stir of the paint. The only problem with this mix is that unused paint may/may not last long but it seems not to be a set rule as I have used mixed paint that is over 1 year old and thrown away ones that where 1 month old mix! Use good quality white spirit. It might take slightly longer to dry than cellulose (personally found there is not that much difference in scale modelling, especially with matt paints) but paint sprays and settles much better than with cellulose.(managed to spray/mask a 1/48 spitfire in WWII temperate scheme in about a day, started early morning and finished in late evening) I use cellulose almost only for airbrush cleaning. Important - do not spray cellose thinned paint on white spirit thinned paint. All said, the choice of thinner to use is yours and you decide which one you prefer and feel comfortable to use.


    About the masking problem, if you removed the varnish with the masking tape it means that the varnish did not adhere to the undercolor. Maybe somebody who uses acrylics can help since I do not use them. I do encounter such problem, but not that common, mostly when tryimg to mask modelmaster/humbrol metallic colors and the varnish had a nasty habit of coming off with the masking tape no matter what. Luckily such problem I resolved when I started to use Alcad metallic colors. Another problem area where you might encounter trouble is when removing masking tape around canopy frames. If there is some build up of varnish in this area, paint/varnish might get peeled off when removing the tape. A solution to this problem is to use a new blade and just lightly go around the edge of the masking tape before removing the tape. Try as much as possible to avoid paint build up in this area.
    Hope that this has been helpful.





    Thanks for Ur advise it help yes...

    Robert
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2012-06-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Haz-zebbug

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Robert on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:25 pm






    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4061
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : St. Julian's

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  bcauchi on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:21 pm

    NIIIICE!!!

    Gordon
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 707
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : bormla

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Gordon on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:41 pm

    wow nice job

    Robert
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2012-06-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Haz-zebbug

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Robert on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:41 am

    So ..... Swearing Time !!!!!!.....After red colour was done i applied lacquer.(humbrol gloss cote)...the day after i tried to apply enamel AK wash but i mange to ruin every thing Evil or Very Mad ...I decided to start all over again grrrr

    Reaction of ak on humbrol


    Final decision



    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

    Posts : 621
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 48
    Location : Zurrieq - Malta

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Joseph on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:09 pm

    AK, I think are enamels, these are best applied on acrylic paint/varnish, I stand to be corrected, also why are u using Humbrol varnishes? these used to take ages to dry or never dry at all!

    matilda
    Highly Commended
    Highly Commended

    Posts : 147
    Join date : 2009-11-13

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  matilda on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:37 pm

    damn!!!
    shit happen , head up , will be better.


    stevan

    Robert
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2012-06-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Haz-zebbug

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Robert on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:00 am


    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Ray on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 am

    Bravu Rob looking extremely well repaired & mended as if sprayed for the 1st time cheers

    Gordon
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 707
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : bormla

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Gordon on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:48 am

    Robert dak ahmar uzajt? u wash xuzajt? ghax ftit skur, jien fuq ladjad nuza dark gray tal-ilma imma

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NONr9IuOfYk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=ocRx138f-I4&NR=1

    Robert
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2012-06-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Haz-zebbug

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Robert on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:15 pm

    Gordon wrote:Robert dak ahmar uzajt? u wash xuzajt? ghax ftit skur, jien fuq ladjad nuza dark gray tal-ilma imma

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NONr9IuOfYk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=ocRx138f-I4&NR=1

    ahmar tal Vallejo jghati ftit fl orange ...u bhal wash ak black.imma issa la jinxef iktar nerga nimshu ftit ihor ha .nahseb ahjar

    Gordon
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 707
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : bormla

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Gordon on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:29 pm

    jien kont xe nixtri coast guard org tal-testors 4225 ta Acrylic, jien fuq labajd nuza dark gray jew light gery,x-32 uzajt dark gray u fuq il-falcon 10 uzajt il-light gray dak tip ta helicopter ma kollux hafna hmieg fuqu l-wash tal-vallejo

    Robert
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2012-06-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Haz-zebbug

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Robert on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:39 pm

    Gordon wrote:jien kont xe nixtri coast guard org tal-testors 4225 ta Acrylic, jien fuq labajd nuza dark gray jew light gery,x-32 uzajt dark gray u fuq il-falcon 10 uzajt il-light gray dak tip ta helicopter ma kollux hafna hmieg fuqu l-wash tal-vallejo

    jien iktar bx nohloq naqra shadows.weathering xejn mjien ha nghamilu

    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2019
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 68
    Location : Qawra Malta

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  in nannu pec on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:02 pm

    much better Robert...prosit Xbin Smile
    IN nannu Cool

    Robert
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2012-06-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Haz-zebbug

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Robert on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:16 pm

    in nannu pec wrote:much better Robert...prosit Xbin Smile
    IN nannu Cool

    thanku nannu...and thanks for you tips

    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2019
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 68
    Location : Qawra Malta

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  in nannu pec on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:17 am

    Robert wrote:
    in nannu pec wrote:much better Robert...prosit Xbin Smile
    IN nannu Cool

    thanku nannu...and thanks for you tips

    welcome habib Smile

    Robert
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 257
    Join date : 2012-06-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Haz-zebbug

    Re: HH-60J Jayhawk HobbyBoss 1/72

    Post  Robert on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:08 pm


      Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:50 pm