He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Share

    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1065
    Join date : 2011-01-11
    Age : 37
    Location : Smack in the middle of the Med

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Wayne on Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:49 pm

    So, I finally started to paint the engine.  I stripped off some of the wiring that was getting in the way and applied a coat of a mix of flat black and white.

    I could not get the Testors Acryl Aluminium to spray evenly through the airbrush so I brewed a mixture of (very old) Humbrol enamels Nos 11 and 56.

    I also picked out a couple of details using a mix of Citadel Color Brass and Vallejo Old Gold.





    At this point I need some help.  I have turned my attention to the area below but cannot figure out what colour to use for the pipig.  I've tried mixing some RLM 02 with aluminium but it doesn't look right.


    Images of the restored engine show the piping in semi-gloss black but I'm not sure that's authentic.

    Any ideas?


    _________________

    Bench: Bv 141 B, Ju 87 G-2, Macchi C.205, Arado Ar.234
    Stash: Ju87D-3, Bf 109 E-3, Bf109 F-4/trop, Bf 109 G-10, He219....

    www.ScaleModelBench.com

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  skyhigh on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:01 am

    Wayne here you better ask Ivan..or Ray of Arabia......cheers 

    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1065
    Join date : 2011-01-11
    Age : 37
    Location : Smack in the middle of the Med

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Wayne on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:21 am

    I went out on a limb and tried using Alclad's exhaust manifold paint. It's a bitch to apply with a brush as it's practically a wash, but I found that if I let it dry a bit on a palette it was much easier to apply. It took some 10 coats but I'm quite happy with the result.

    Will post pics later when I'm on the PC.


    _________________

    Bench: Bv 141 B, Ju 87 G-2, Macchi C.205, Arado Ar.234
    Stash: Ju87D-3, Bf 109 E-3, Bf109 F-4/trop, Bf 109 G-10, He219....

    www.ScaleModelBench.com

    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1065
    Join date : 2011-01-11
    Age : 37
    Location : Smack in the middle of the Med

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Wayne on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:34 am

    Here's the pic. Piping looks black in the photos but it's not, so the pic is kind of pointless tongue 

    Will bring the engine along with me this Wed.



    _________________

    Bench: Bv 141 B, Ju 87 G-2, Macchi C.205, Arado Ar.234
    Stash: Ju87D-3, Bf 109 E-3, Bf109 F-4/trop, Bf 109 G-10, He219....

    www.ScaleModelBench.com

    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Noel Petroni on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:53 pm

    Nice work Wayne.

    Did these HE see action?
    If so where?
    What Month/Year?


    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4047
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : St. Julian's

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  bcauchi on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:44 pm

    Nice work Wayne, i like the colour but you need some more pipes, if you note there are more than 3 pipes grouped and clipped together.

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Ray on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:11 pm

    bcauchi wrote:Nice work Wayne, i like the colour but you need some more pipes, if you note there are more than 3 pipes grouped and clipped together.
    Ghandu RAGUN Twisted Evil

    Ippruvajt TISKARTA Evil or Very Mad

    Marco tieh COPY ghal 7,000 darba "I must add ALL wires on HE 162's Engine" cheers

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  skyhigh on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:13 pm

    Noel Petroni wrote:Nice work Wayne.

    Did these HE see action?
    If so where?
    What Month/Year?

    Noel just made a quick look , infact yes They did........

    The He 162 finally saw combat in mid-April. On 19 April 1945, a captured Royal Air Force fighter pilot informed his German interrogators that he had been shot down by a jet fighter matching the description of the He 162. The Heinkel and its pilot were lost as well, shot down by an RAF Hawker Tempest while on approach to land (a point when German jets were at their most vulnerable). Though still in training, I./JG 1 had scored a number of kills beginning in mid-April, but had also lost 13 He 162s and 10 pilots. Ten of the aircraft were operational losses, caused by flameouts and sporadic structural failures. Only two of the 13 aircraft were actually shot down. The He 162's 30-minute fuel capacity also caused problems, as at least two of JG 1's pilots were killed attempting emergency landings after exhausting their fuel...........Rolling Eyes 

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Ray on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:21 pm

    Marco we are waiting for you to PULL Wayne's ear lol!

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  skyhigh on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:44 pm

    Ray wrote:Marco we are waiting for you to PULL Wayne's ear lol!
    no way, he's one our novice promised modeler .. so let him enjoy building...cheers 

    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1065
    Join date : 2011-01-11
    Age : 37
    Location : Smack in the middle of the Med

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Wayne on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:18 pm

    Wow... seemed I stirred quite a lot of interest Very Happy 

    As you may have noticed from the build pics, there's lots more detail waiting to be put onto the engine. I just took it out to make it easier to paint the base of the engine. However Brian's right... I have left this area quite bare compared to the rest of the engine. I tried adding some piping but whatever I tried tended to look over-scale Sad 

    Maybe some of you guys will be able to give me some pointers next Wed. Would be great if you were coming along Brian...seems I need your expertise at creating something out of nothing Very Happy 

    In the meantime I'll be concentrating on the rest of the detail. Expect more pics by tonight.

    Thanks for the comments and for watching.

    P.S. Ray, maybe we should all pull Skyhigh's ears for staying idle this long Twisted Evil 


    _________________

    Bench: Bv 141 B, Ju 87 G-2, Macchi C.205, Arado Ar.234
    Stash: Ju87D-3, Bf 109 E-3, Bf109 F-4/trop, Bf 109 G-10, He219....

    www.ScaleModelBench.com

    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1065
    Join date : 2011-01-11
    Age : 37
    Location : Smack in the middle of the Med

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Wayne on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:07 pm

    Here are the pics as promised.





    BRIAN, how do you MANAGE to keep your pipework straight? I spent the best part of 2 hours fiddling with the wires on this side of the engine and I'm not that happy with the way they are aligned!




    _________________

    Bench: Bv 141 B, Ju 87 G-2, Macchi C.205, Arado Ar.234
    Stash: Ju87D-3, Bf 109 E-3, Bf109 F-4/trop, Bf 109 G-10, He219....

    www.ScaleModelBench.com

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  skyhigh on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:35 pm

    Wayne wrote:Here are the pics as promised.





    BRIAN, how do you MANAGE to keep your pipework straight?  I spent the best part of 2 hours fiddling with the wires on this side of the engine and I'm not that happy with the way they are aligned!



    lol! You have to graduate for an engineer or electcion...lol! ...no jokeing apart wayne ..may be it's better paint the engine , then put the wires..scratch cheers 

    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Noel Petroni on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:00 pm

    skyhigh wrote:
    Noel Petroni wrote:Nice work Wayne.

    Did these HE see action?
    If so where?
    What Month/Year?

    Noel just made a quick look , infact yes They did........

    The He 162 finally saw combat in mid-April. On 19 April 1945, a captured Royal Air Force fighter pilot informed his German interrogators that he had been shot down by a jet fighter matching the description of the He 162. The Heinkel and its pilot were lost as well, shot down by an RAF Hawker Tempest while on approach to land (a point when German jets were at their most vulnerable). Though still in training, I./JG 1 had scored a number of kills beginning in mid-April, but had also lost 13 He 162s and 10 pilots. Ten of the aircraft were operational losses, caused by flameouts and sporadic structural failures. Only two of the 13 aircraft were actually shot down. The He 162's 30-minute fuel capacity also caused problems, as at least two of JG 1's pilots were killed attempting emergency landings after exhausting their fuel...........Rolling Eyes 
    Prosit ! Thanks!

    Very interesting.

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  skyhigh on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:53 pm

    Your welcome.. Noel..cheers 

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Ray on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:35 pm

    Wayne, I think you'll better align, bend, twist & stick whatever before painting because I'm sure you were "afraid" you'll spoil the painting underneath when you were trying to put in the rest of the piping. Suspect

    At least that is what I'm thinking scratch

    Having said all that, they look OK to me Cool 



    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4047
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : St. Julian's

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  bcauchi on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:51 pm

    Wayne, i will try my best to come this Wed. I plan to but can't say till the last minute. You are doing just fine and the pipes are wires are great. you just need to check your photos and add all you see there on to your model slowly. Each pipe and wire serves a purpose and has a start and an end point. But i like the way you are working and the alignment. You take the engine one section at a time and work on it and then move on to the next. Don't try and do it all at once otherwise you will go nuts. As i already told you, you need to do some homework first and work in layers. First paint the engine and weather it and do whatever you need to do to it and then build up the layers of wires/pipes as necessary making sure that you put in the underlying ones first. Every time paint the wires and pipes you put in otherwise it will be very diffiucult in the end.

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Ray on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:10 pm

    Ray wrote:Wayne, I think you'll better align, bend, twist & stick whatever before painting because I'm sure you were "afraid" you'll spoil the painting underneath when you were trying to put in the rest of the piping. Suspect

    At least that is what I'm thinking scratch

    Having said all that, they look OK to me Cool 


    bcauchi wrote:Wayne, i will try my best to come this Wed. I plan to but can't say till the last minute. You are doing just fine and the pipes are wires are great. you just need to check your photos and add all you see there on to your model slowly. Each pipe and wire serves a purpose and has a start and an end point. But i like the way you are working and the alignment. You take the engine one section at a time and work on it and then move on to the next. Don't try and do it all at once otherwise you will go nuts. As i already told you, you need to do some homework first and work in layers. First paint the engine and weather it and do whatever you need to do to it and then build up the layers of wires/pipes as necessary making sure that you put in the underlying ones first. Every time paint the wires and pipes you put in otherwise it will be very diffiucult in the end.


    I guess I'll better stick to Figurines Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4047
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : St. Julian's

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  bcauchi on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:13 pm

    Hallina Ray you are fishing for compliments from afar. When you built aircraft, they were award winning models so don;t act like you have never built a plane before, your aircraft were great and it is a pity that you never built more aircraft. You should throw in the occasional one in between the figures. There are some excellent models you can just build out of the box.

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Ray on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:21 am

    bcauchi wrote:Hallina Ray you are fishing for compliments from afar.  When you built aircraft, they were award winning models so don;t act like you have never built a plane before, your aircraft were great and it is a pity that you never built more aircraft.  You should throw in the occasional one in between the figures. There are some excellent models you can just build out of the box.
    The tandem with Joseph works fine for me Bri I love youcheers

    Wayne sorry for the hijack Suspect 

    As you can see, my pretended advices re wiring were revoked by Brian Sad lol! 

    However, Chris' revelations in his new thread re Spitfire seems to shed some light on my lack of aircraft wiring proceedures cheers  

    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1065
    Join date : 2011-01-11
    Age : 37
    Location : Smack in the middle of the Med

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Wayne on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:35 am

    So I followed the adivce of SSM's elite aircraft builders and re-painted the engine.

    The black sections were painted in Alclad Steel and given a heavy wash of black oil colour to darken it whilst keeping some of the sheen.

    The forward section of the engine was sanded, given a light coat of Zero paints Gloss Black followed by Alclad Aluminium.  No washes have been applied to this section yet.  I have tried a small section using burnt umber wash but it turned out looking rusty, so I will probably use black.





    This was also a good exercise in airbrush handling and control as I managed to re-spray the engine without blemishing the coloured wiring, which in itself is an achievement for me Very Happy 


    _________________

    Bench: Bv 141 B, Ju 87 G-2, Macchi C.205, Arado Ar.234
    Stash: Ju87D-3, Bf 109 E-3, Bf109 F-4/trop, Bf 109 G-10, He219....

    www.ScaleModelBench.com

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  skyhigh on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:12 pm

    Wayne the photos are not good enough , but it looks better...already..cheers

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Ray on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:08 pm

    skyhigh wrote:Wayne the photos are not good enough , but it looks better...already..cheers
    Agree 101% except re photos as they look ok to me Shocked Suspect 

    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4047
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : St. Julian's

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  bcauchi on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:28 pm

    Looking good Wayne, keep at it. Apply the washes and drybrush a bit and then get on with the rest of the wiring. Don;t stall on the engine, it is good and looking much better now that you have used metallic paints. Well done.

    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1065
    Join date : 2011-01-11
    Age : 37
    Location : Smack in the middle of the Med

    Re: He 162 Salamander 1/32

    Post  Wayne on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:29 pm

    Time for an update. Apologies for the poor quality of the pics but these are being taken as I work tongue 


    Engine almost finished. Added the remaining wiring and applied a black wash to the recesses.



    I also started work on the undercarriage doors. These were modified (lots of scraping) to make them more accurate, primed, RLM02ed and given a wash.



    I have also started to modify the engine cowl hinges. These are way too thick and given that I added the engine's bottom panel they are preventing it from fitting properly to the fuselage. I might have to resort to displaying the cowl halves on the ground so to speak, detached from the airframe.


    _________________

    Bench: Bv 141 B, Ju 87 G-2, Macchi C.205, Arado Ar.234
    Stash: Ju87D-3, Bf 109 E-3, Bf109 F-4/trop, Bf 109 G-10, He219....

    www.ScaleModelBench.com

      Current date/time is Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:42 pm