SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Paul Salomone
Maxi_Model
in nannu pec
Ray
Dottore
bcauchi
Noel Petroni
11 posters

Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!!

iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!!

Post  iCocker Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:42 pm

I agree with the above the leg still look strange and long, I know it happens but you are basing facts on assuming the viewer will think that the leg has been broken, IMHO he will not come to that idea for sure. Keep it simple and no assuming Noel, death is already a macabre thing enough so do not overdo it ... the pose of a stiff body, not balanced is more then enough and personally I like it much more then the drop down unnatural death we all beleive in ... x'tahseb?

Ivan
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Yep!  I straightened the boot to normal position and it looks better (will post pics in near future). I like gory stuff and wanted to include the injury like a scene in Band Of Brothers!!!  This US solider gets a direct hit in the room he is in and his friends help him out on the pavement.... his leg is a total mess... all twisted and broken and a large shrapnel hole in his boot with smoke still coming out of the hole... tal genn man!

anyway....... this is my first scratch build... it's great fun and I think I'll be doing more..... more gory deaths!

Point of Order:

I think the right leg is a good length but the left leg seems long from torso to knee.... what say you lot?
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Noel Petroni wrote:Yep!  I straightened the boot to normal position and it looks better (will post pics in near future). I like gory stuff and wanted to include the injury like a scene in Band Of Brothers!!!  This US solider gets a direct hit in the room he is in and his friends help him out on the pavement.... his leg is a total mess... all twisted and broken and a large shrapnel hole in his boot with smoke still coming out of the hole... tal genn man!

anyway....... this is my first scratch build... it's great fun and I think I'll be doing more..... more gory deaths!

Point of Order:

I think the right leg is a good length but the left leg seems long from torso to knee.... what say you lot?

KUWL cheers
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:28 am

You can aslo make him with one leg thorn like the Cologne scene Smile
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:15 am

I shortened the arms slightly and they are ready for sculpting......... when my next free hour arrives!!!

Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!! - Page 2 DSC_2652_zps3809c721

Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!! - Page 2 DSC_2651_zps04048cd4

Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!! - Page 2 DSC_2650_zps80804f17

Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:51 am

Hello Noel, Very Happy

Well done mate, the figure is really coming up fine.

Just one note on the Panzer IA - these tanks were in reality used as infantry support tanks, and had no armour what so ever. At least the early versions didn't have any armour. As such a round fired from a heavy machine gun could penetrate the steel, while an anti tank rifle would disable completely the tank.
    Creating a damaged tank is no joke, but I am quite sure that you will, get the best out of it.
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:02 am

yes Noel...you got it !....nice work xbin
    In nannu8)
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Really good and realistic now. I still don't like the hand sticking up especially since the head is slumped backwards but then i am no CSI and don;t know the effects of death and rigor mortis. Just would not do it like that myself. Other than that, i prefer the way you placed to foot now, i realised that you had a broken foot in mind but it looks much better now. Well done, some really great scratch building.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:14 pm

I can only echo all the others' superlatives cheers I love you
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks guys, for your encouraging words!

It's my first ever scratch built figure and I always say that the first (to anything) is an introduction and will most likely have faults.... but now I have a slight experiance of how to tackle the next one. I was not aware of what fun it is to scratch built figures!!! I always imagined it was a daunting task and quite reserved for the masters......... however, even if I do say so myself, it does not look bad for a first time and it can only get better with more practice!

Last but not least........... fellow modelling friends like yourselves, with encouraging comments and noting faults to correct is what gives fuel to my enthusiasm and makes my look forward to post and progress!!!
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:10 pm

bcauchi wrote:Really good and realistic now. I still don't like the hand sticking up especially since the head is slumped backwards but then i am no CSI and don;t know the effects of death and rigor mortis. Just would not do it like that myself. Other than that, i prefer the way you placed to foot now, i realised that you had a broken foot in mind but it looks much better now.  Well done, some really great scratch building.

Brian, the head is not yet positioned in it's final angle. You are right to say that a slumped head does not go well with a rigid corpse.... I have noticed that myself, but thanks for pointing it out.

I'm not sure wether to leave only the tank and figure or to place a Polish soldier or civilian figure staring at the corpse to indicate more the effect of an overdue dead corpse.... so to speak!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:33 pm

My opinion, is that all options will make a statement. The tank by itself will make the face of death stick out. A civilian passing by oblivious to the carnage would also look good if the tank is placed in a street setting and the woman maybe holding a child's hand passes by. The child might be clutching a teddy bear or another toy and maybe he would be looking at the corpse, not his mother. A soldier would also look good, with an appraising look on his face sort of the guy got what he deserved.

An idea which just occurred to me and sparked by my recent watching of Schindler's list coupled with Ivan's work may be that you paint the tank in just greyscale and only the figure in colour. The piece could be titled 'death'

My two cents worth.
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:42 pm

bcauchi wrote:My opinion, is that all options will make a statement. The tank by itself will make the face of death stick out.  A civilian passing by oblivious to the carnage would also look good if the tank is placed in a street setting and the woman maybe holding a child's hand passes by.  The child might be clutching a teddy bear or another toy and maybe he would be looking at the corpse, not his mother.  A soldier would also look good, with an appraising look on his face sort of the guy got what he deserved.

An idea which just occurred to me and sparked by my recent watching of Schindler's list coupled with Ivan's work may be that you paint the tank in just greyscale and only the figure in colour.  The piece could be titled 'death'

My two cents worth.

I like both ideas, Brian!!

The second would surly make a nice piece of art and I'd be nearly tempted to do it! But, I enjoy weathering a tank and I am planning a new approach for this one. Thanks for your suggestions.
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:28 pm

More progress....

Sleeves are ready...
    Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!! - Page 2 DSC_2656_zpsa3da5d06

Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!! - Page 2 DSC_2654_zps435cfaab

I'm opening the holster to indicate the fact that it has been nicked by a passer by.... still more work to be done on the holster.
    Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!! - Page 2 DSC_2655_zpsfb782148

Last edited by Noel Petroni on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Mhux ahjar telimina dak ir-ritratt b'recasts bl-irjus tal-Hornet u tpoggih go areas li huma reservati ghalina biss! Nhalli diskusjoni ta recasts fuq livell personali u mhux ta forum ... tafu li ga kellna battalja fuq casting [science fiction] go dal forum u spicca l-artist originali qala plejtu ...
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:56 pm

iCocker wrote:Mhux ahjar telimina dak ir-ritratt b'recasts bl-irjus tal-Hornet u tpoggih go areas li huma reservati ghalina biss! Nhalli diskusjoni ta recasts fuq livell personali u mhux ta forum ... tafu li ga kellna battalja fuq casting [science fiction] go dal forum u spicca l-artist originali qala plejtu ...

Aw ras (get the punn)! Nehejtom Very Happy 

You do have a point.
    I know mine are done with Milliput and can't be commercially produced to sell.  What I can't understand is why the original artists get upset if they should come across a copy , as long as that copy is made for private use, when they know that there are materials out there for sale to produce copies at home. It is legal to make copy at home for your own personal use.

Pero.... fuq kollox........ do you like my first attempt at sculpting!!! Cool 
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:30 pm

What do you think if I put this figure walking past the tank and looking at the dead crewman. The scene is in Poland.

Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!! - Page 2 Natasha_zps64f8daf6
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:00 pm

i am no expert on figures but i think that you are doing a great job and the folds on the clothing look really good. I like that figure you chose to be walking past the tank, very expressive.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Coming out great 'ras' ...

I think in some parts the folds need to be soften a bit, remember that is thick wool so folds would be minimal and not so many near each other, I know this is a trap every scratchbuilder gets into, one get carried away easy! Enjoy the new field ...

Regarding this refugee looks very miserable and eastern european, more appropriate for a gettho scene or russia which happened later in the war. Remember in 1939 Polish forces were still defending till they reached Warsaw and the Soviet attacked from the other side, Poland was not in such a sorry state and people flarished, check the recent movie about Pope John Paul to get an idea and also the first scenes of Schindler's list

Ivan
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:34 pm

iCocker wrote:Coming out great 'ras' ...

I think in some parts the folds need to be soften a bit, remember that is thick wool so folds would be minimal and not so many near each other, I know this is a trap every scratchbuilder gets into, one get carried away easy! Enjoy the new field ...

Regarding this refugee looks very miserable and eastern european, more appropriate for a gettho scene or russia which happened later in the war. Remember in 1939 Polish forces were still defending till they reached Warsaw and the Soviet attacked from the other side, Poland was not in such a sorry state and people flarished, check the recent movie about Pope John Paul to get an idea and also the first scenes of Schindler's list

Ivan

I beg to differ, Ivan. I know what you mean but your view relates more to city people.
    Look, she is miserable........ war on your doorstep is a miserable thing, so I think we can let her go on this. Mela, I'm placing the panzer on dirt roads...... a field fence on one side, some grass and dirt road. So this wench is a villager and unlike city dwellers she lacks the opportunity of a good salary.

I chose this figure because it does not look too much typical Russian, in my opinion, and with her head turned to one side looking at the dead panzer crew will connect the scene more to the ground...... if you know what I mean. However, as always, thanks for your comment.

As for the sculpting.... Thanks!bounce  It's great fun and I would like to discover more materials such as Magic Sculpt...... is it an important tool to have? As for the folds.... yes you are right! There is a tendency to get carried away! I stilll have to polish the Milliput, and I'm going to use fine grade furniture polish steel wool and in the process tone down some folds like you said.
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:38 pm

bcauchi wrote:i am no expert on figures but i think that you are doing a great job and the folds on the clothing look really good. I like that figure you chose to be walking past the tank, very expressive.

Thanks Brian!

The part that is rally bashing my brain is what damage to do to the tank.

a) simple tiny holes (two maybe) on the side indicating Anti Tank rifle shots

OR

b) a shell hit on the lower structure with a couple of wheels blown off

Manafxx man!scratch 
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:05 am

Noel Petroni wrote:
    bcauchi wrote:i am no expert on figures but i think that you are doing a great job and the folds on the clothing look really good. I like that figure you chose to be walking past the tank, very expressive.

Thanks Brian!

The part that is rally bashing my brain is what damage to do to the tank.

a) simple tiny holes (two maybe) on the side indicating Anti Tank rifle shots

OR

b) a shell hit on the lower structure with a couple of wheels blown off

Manafxx man!scratch 

Can you make both? One after the other sort of scratch Shocked
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:36 pm

Figure nearly done....... did the hair and insignia...
    Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!! - Page 2 DSC_2659_zps88aec1e7

Panzer I A - 95% DONE!!!! - Page 2 DSC_2661_zps9d792ae1
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Very nice Noel Twisted Evil

Did you try using Duro for hair? I'm sure Ivan & Stephen would attest to this as it "holds" on to detail much better then MS or Milliput pale
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Ray wrote:Very nice Noel Twisted Evil

Did you try using Duro for hair? I'm sure Ivan & Stephen would attest to this as it "holds" on to detail much better then MS or Milliput pale

No, Ray! I don't know what materials there are out there to help with sculpting!!!!

In fact I would really like some pointers on what to use!! I'm using only Milliput! Mad 

Is Magic Sculpt better?

..... and what is Duro?

... SSM Band Of Brothers........... can you help please!?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:23 am