Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Share

    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Noel Petroni on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:56 pm

    Next up is this Me 109 which will be with my favourite ....... yellow nose and the WORM!





    Last edited by Noel Petroni on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4061
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : St. Julian's

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  bcauchi on Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:50 pm

    Fast and nice!

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  skyhigh on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:59 pm

    And Here is the pilot and his aircraft........Hans-von-Hahn

    Bf-109E4-Stab-I/JG3 France-1940








    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Noel Petroni on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm

    That's the version I'll be doing Marco. The decal sheet has even the kill marks. However, on the colour plate the camo patches look sharp edge but I would imaging they are more correct in the colour plate you posted. so it's going to be delicate airbrush work!

    There are many versions for Han's plane and they are all interesting.... might do more!!

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  skyhigh on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:45 am

    There is even a challenge camo..Bf109F.....


    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Ray on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:59 am

    skyhigh wrote:There is even a challenge camo..Bf109F.....


    Go for it Noel  bounce cheers bounce 

    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4061
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : St. Julian's

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  bcauchi on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:17 pm

    That is one hell of a nice project Noel, it should not be a problem for you to do both versions.

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  skyhigh on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:03 pm

    skyhigh wrote:There is even a challenge camo..Bf109F.....




    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Noel Petroni on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:04 pm

    Very nice pics Marco and very helpful too!

    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Noel Petroni on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:06 pm

    Mobile shots.....not very good pics.... sorry...







    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4061
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : St. Julian's

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  bcauchi on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:39 am

    Beautiful work Noel, well done, what a great looking Emil.

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  skyhigh on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:32 pm

    War weary ... not that much remember this is an ace craft.. but looks aggressive...




    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Noel Petroni on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:43 pm

    skyhigh wrote:War weary ... not that much remember this is an ace craft.. but looks aggressive...




    Thanks Marco

    I'll first see how it looks with a matt varnish... if anything I'll just tone down the chippings. With a semi gloss varnish things look a bit more pronounced

    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Noel Petroni on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:44 pm

    bcauchi wrote:Beautiful work Noel, well done, what a great looking Emil.

    Thanks Brian!!

    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Noel Petroni on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:02 pm


















    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Ray on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:38 pm

    Very very nice on ALL fronts Noel  cheers 

    However I tend to agree with Marco re too much chipping since you're depicting an Ace's Emil  Evil or Very Mad
     

    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4061
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : St. Julian's

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  bcauchi on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:04 pm

    Wow Noel, truly excellent, i love your style. Try as i might i can never get my chipping to look as good as yours. You are the master chipper.

    J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2103
    Join date : 2009-08-01
    Age : 42
    Location : MALTA - South

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  J.Fenech on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:51 pm

    Nice work Noel!! Just one thing, go a bit lightly on the chipping next time!

    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1226
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 54
    Location : Balzan - Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Noel Petroni on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:05 pm

    Thank you everyone, for you comments.

    Regarding chipping...... mela, being a tank modeller I'm naturally driven to paint chippings  Very Happy 

    My theory is, the magazine refill panel would be unscrewed and screwed every time the planes returns, so this creates chippings and I don't suppose they are going to spray each time... muxx veru.

    Crew and pilot would walk on the wing next to the cockpit so more chippings there.

    Could it be that in the world of airplanes the general style is to put very little chippings or there are not enough photos to suggest that there were actually a lot of chippings?

    J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2103
    Join date : 2009-08-01
    Age : 42
    Location : MALTA - South

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  J.Fenech on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:23 pm

    Noel Petroni wrote:Thank you everyone, for you comments.

    Regarding chipping...... mela, being a tank modeller I'm naturally driven to paint chippings  Very Happy 

    My theory is, the magazine refill panel would be unscrewed and screwed every time the planes returns, so this creates chippings and I don't suppose they are going to spray each time... muxx veru.

    Crew and pilot would walk on the wing next to the cockpit so more chippings there.

    Could it be that in the world of airplanes the general style is to put very little chippings or there are not enough photos to suggest that there were actually a lot of chippings?

    Of course there will be paint chippings but I think you went a little overboard with the chipping, especially over the spine, flaps and tail section (there would not be much boots beating the metal there) You have to be selective as to were you apply chipping and it has to be done with measure! Smile

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Ray on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:27 pm

    J.Fenech wrote:
    Noel Petroni wrote:Thank you everyone, for you comments.

    Regarding chipping...... mela, being a tank modeller I'm naturally driven to paint chippings  Very Happy 

    My theory is, the magazine refill panel would be unscrewed and screwed every time the planes returns, so this creates chippings and I don't suppose they are going to spray each time... muxx veru.

    Crew and pilot would walk on the wing next to the cockpit so more chippings there.

    Could it be that in the world of airplanes the general style is to put very little chippings or there are not enough photos to suggest that there were actually a lot of chippings?

    Of course there will be paint chippings but I think you went a little overboard with the chipping, especially over the spine, flaps and tail section (there would not be much boots beating the metal there) You have to be selective as to were you apply chipping and it has to be done with measure! Smile

    And SHE was an Ace's Emil  I love you 

    I'm sure SHE was "looked after & pampered" much more than any "other" bird  Suspect 

    Cyril.
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 328
    Join date : 2009-08-20
    Age : 68
    Location : Attard, MALTA.

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  Cyril. on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:50 pm

    Well done Noel, Very Happy 

    Fantastic work,

    Prosit cheers 

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 4654
    Join date : 2009-07-30
    Age : 55
    Location : Qormi, Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  skyhigh on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:35 pm

    Apart the chipping ......... it looks like a 109 ..wow keep them flying Noel ..issa a Fw190 ..le

     cheers 

    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1388
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 38
    Location : Tarxien, Malta

    Very good...

    Post  Dottore on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:18 pm

    But the decals look like stickers. I would slice the decal with a blade where it overlies a panel line and add the pin wash in the panel line. If you look carefully markings should not cover panel lines?

    Otherwise great job!

    Dottore

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 3172
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 42
    Location : Marsascala, Malta

    Re: Airfix ME 109 1/72 - Tatzelwurm - FINISHED!

    Post  iCocker on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:23 pm

    Though this chipping idea might be overboard to some eyes, I do not agree with certain ideas that as this was an ace emil it has to look like a sportscar either ... Come on guys it was a war machine, it would have ingaged combat, probably got a couple of straffing aswell, mechanics handle it regularly, pour fuel with a pipete and armourers load it with bubble wrapped amunition? .... Come on, if this was involved in the Battle of Britian I guess it would have seen some good weathering to get a veteran status ... I more agree on suggestions that weathering should be more subdued and in proper areas especially at this timing of the war, personally such a beaten look more reflect a bird from the end of the war ... Maybe Noel I suggest to minimise them with some filters?

      Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:49 pm