SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Carius
Tancred
bcauchi
Paul Salomone
ascomt
Wayne
skyhigh
Cyril.
Ray
Dottore
alexbb
iCocker
16 posters

Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun

Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Empty Re: Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun

Post  Paul Salomone Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:58 pm

Good afternoon all,

found some good technical photos of the real thing.

A shot of a restored 1943 Lancia 3/RO truck
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 113

A good view of the rear axle braking system
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 213

The engine compartment
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 418

A view of the flywheel and the clutching rig system. Still have to make heads and tails out of it.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 512

The full engine, mounted on the Lancia 3/RO. an interesting thing is the additional oil cooler.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 911

will post more pics tomorrow.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Empty Re: Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun

Post  Paul Salomone Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:04 am

Good morning brothers, Very Happy

Some more updates.

Basically this weekend, I directed my efforts to get the gun shield out of the way, only to realise that my supply of rivets is seeing the bottom line, so I have to make another order. But at least the back side of the shield is ready, and the front side is well under way, so not far to go. The only thing is that the delivery if the rivets from Tichy train Group USA is lengthy, but anyway.

Some pictures of the progress so far.

The gun assembly prepared to allow the addition of an aluminium barrel. Note the warped elevation gear assemblies. Still have to find a way to correct them.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 2810

The gun shield under way.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 2910

The stowage box issued with the resin kit is solid. The one I produced can be detailed.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 3010

The rear side of the shield is ready.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 3110

A clearer picture.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 3210

Will try to post more pics during the week.
    Cyril.
    Cyril.
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Cyril. Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:24 pm

Coming on nicely Paul, Very Happy

Very detailed, like all your works.

Prosit. cheers
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:46 pm

I see what you mean Paul, it is looking fantastic, well done, the kit part does not even come close. Keep it up, a lovely build indeed.
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:25 pm

fantastic work Paul....... cheers cheers
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:04 am

Thanks guys, Very Happy

At the moment, I am assembling the gun carriage. As usual, I had to rebuild 90% of it. During the weekend, I will produce the gun barrel on my lathe, together with the gun pillar base stand, as the resin counterpart is a total flop.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:09 am

Good morning Brothers,  Very Happy

Some more progress on the base of the gun itself.  What a Face

I made a bit of research, and found that primarily, the 90mm gun was intended as an anti-aircraft gun for naval use. That explains why the elevation and traverse mechanism for ground mounted guns was electrically powered. But for the Lancia truck mounted gun, the traverse was manually controlled by a geared hand wheel, while the elevation was provided by a hand operated hydraulic pump system.

Again most of the work had to be carried out from scratch.  Suspect

The base coloumn is made from solid brass.  drunken
    The gun barrel is made from aluminium.  albino
    The fuse setter is made from styrene pieces and copper. Idea  
    The gun cradle is made from the original pieces and styrene sheets.  Basketball

I have ordered some brass shells from RB Models, so that I can eventually complete the ammunition storage compartment.

I would be very grateful if anyone could advise as from where I can buy some decent resin Italian WW2 Lancia 3/RO truck wheels.

The original resin  pieces. Nowhere close to what I am really after.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Dsc05610

The gun barrel, worked out from solid aluminium. Still have to correct the rear part of the gun, especially the breech, as I would like to have an open breech instead of the original closed breech. Some more extra work I suppose.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Dsc05611

The new fuse setter and the support cradle. Still some more work to do, but the result is more realistic. Sorry for the faded pic, couldn't get a better one, as the item is very small.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Dsc05612

The gun base made from solid brass. Basically it is made from three pieces. Now of course awaiting primer and detailing.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Dsc05613

The gun cradle, using some of the original parts and styrene card.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Dsc05614
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Wayne Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Looking great Paul, gonna be a stunner.

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    ascomt
    ascomt
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  ascomt Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Mi piace veramente.......

Keep at it Paul and keep us posted.

Prosit

Alex
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:51 am

Lovely work Paul, in the end what percentage of the actual kit you bought will remain?
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:47 am

Good morning all, Very Happy

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words.

Brian - only some 15% to 20% of the kit will actually be used.

As soon as I have the gun ready, I will turn my attention towards the driving cabin and the engine. This section is presented in one whole moulded resin part. Not bad looking, but upon closer study, I decided to rebuild the whole thing as well. This will of course give me the opportunity to construct the engine compartment as it really was with the engine bonnet open.
    Another thing, is that the fuel tank was situated under the driver's seat, so my idea is to have the seat misplaced, in order to reveal the fuel tank and the filling cap.
    I already have the solution to construct the radiator grille and the radiator itself. Not difficult at all - just a bit of patience.

I shall bring the model to the club this evening.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:34 am

Hi Guys, Cool

I am posting a picture of a surviving gun, just to let you know how the breech of the gun would be. The resin kit is nowhere close. Lots of details are missing in the kit, so I have to rework everything.

A side view of the gun. Just like the one mounted on the Lancia 3/RO.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Cannon14

The base mounting - lots of details.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Cannon11

Little details, which are missing in my model.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Cannon12

The rear side of the breech.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Cannon13

Another picture of the same calibre gun, but mounted on a trailer and equipped with electric powered hydraulic drive units, to elevate and traverse the gun. Will just use it to have a good idea of how the breech really was.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 5121ah10
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Roll up your sleeves Paul!!
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Brian, Cool

I have already rolled up my sleeves, washed my hands and dipped them in fine anti-sweat dust. Razz

I have a big job on my hands, but am enjoying every minute of it. cheers

Every piece, is giving me the pleasure of learning more about Italian guns and vehicles.

bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:46 pm

That's what modeling is all about, having fun and relaxing and of course, tons of satisfaction.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Good evening Brothers, Very Happy

Some good news. I managed to source and purchase the workshop repair and servicing manual for the Auto carro Lacia 3Ro (Truck).
    It's a collectible item, and shall have a prominent place in my technical library.
    With this book in hand, I will be able to produce all the details required for the execution of the model.
    Just cannot wait for the postman to ring our door bell.

Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Auto_c10
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Wow Paul, you have really gotten into this build, well done, it will be worth the wait.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:42 am

Thanks Brian, Very Happy

This is not the first time that I purchased manuals. For example I managed to fine the armourer's manual for the MG34 and Mg42, manuals for the German WW2 Opel blitz truck engine, and others. Unfortunately, these books are now considered as collectibles, and bloody expensive. While browsing the internet, I cam across the full set of service and repair manuals for the Panzer MkIVa, made up of four books, but beared the cost of 7,000 US Dollars. the advert was inserted a couple of days before. after a week the manuals were sold.
    quite a lot of these manuals are being inserted in the internet for sale, and at very expensive prices. This is the new trend of collection.
    I was chating with an guy on a forum, and showed me part of his collection - all the operating and maintenance manuals, which were on board the German light cruiser Koln. Apparently, the Government, wanted to scrap the old materials found in an laid warehouse, as this warehouse was intended to be used for another purpose. Nobody from the ministry wanted to waste time to see what was stored in the warehouse. They just wanted it empty, to start the refurbishing works. All the materials, files, books and manuals found themselves in a local rubbish dump, luckily to be salvaged by scrooge collectors, who left nothing behind. Incredible but true. Sometimes people are lucky enough to have such opportunities.
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:00 pm

i think that these technical manuals are the ultimate reference for any vehicle or aircraft but as you are saying, it is damn expensive. Depends how bad you want it.
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Keep it up Paul, good to see you at work Cool

Tankred afro
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:20 pm

I recall this was to be a fun relaxed fastbuild up Paul ... You ended up still superdetailing Lol!
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:17 am

Such detail Paul......... cheers
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:28 am

Good morning Brothers, Very Happy

Thanks guys, your encouraging words boost up morale.

Ivan - Yes I have to admit that I fell into the trap of detailing. But then again, what is modeling without detailing. My only worry is the weathering itself, as in this field I am totally new and must say - a total flop.

some more progress pictures of the work carried out.

The new gun elevating gear worm plates - quite different from the ones included in the kit. Still have to do the bolt heads on the second piece, but ran our of both rivet and bolt heads, so made a good order from the usual Tichy Train Group in USA.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Dsc05615

The new gun breech under way. Still more work to be done, but at least more realistic.
    Italian Truck Mounted Anti-Aircraft Gun - Page 2 Dsc05616

Today I shall have the newly constructed gun barrel ready, so more pictures this evening.
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:03 am

Wow Paul, that gearing is impressive. Would appreciate a small explanation on how you did it. Looks great and spot on. I sometimes do need to reproduce gearing and it is something i find quite difficult.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:07 am

Thanks Brian,

Actually I did not do the gearing. With some patience and a collection of swear words, I managed to cut the original gearing from the gearing plate. Believe me, being a resin kit, I had to be very careful, as the material is very brittle.

Anyway, if you need to do a gear way, like the one above, just draw the lines on a styrene profile of the size you need, then start off with marking out with a surgical blade, continue with a fine saw blade (Typical of Tamiya), and finish it off with a knife file. That would enable you to get the feect you need.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm