SU-24 progress

SU-24 progress

Post  Guest on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:32 am

You guys were unaware that I was in the middle of a move for the last 3 months. I now finally got the model bench set back up. I am going to pick up the SU-24 I started before I moved. To bring you up to speed here is a quick progress report

This is the Revell SU-24 Fencer in 1:72 scale..

Construction was quick and simple and required very little work afterward - good job Revell on this one..

I then painted it model master aluminum and pre-shaded the panel lines

Once that was dry I gave it it's camo job...

After a gloss coat I put on the decals..

Had a 'ell of a time with that step as the decal instruction had completely different panel line layouts than what was on the model, so my solution is was to draw them on myself. I used a yellow highlighter to keep track of where I am at..

In the pic below the right side has the drawn on panel lines and the left side doesn't. (ok it will not be a model show winner but it does give me a way in the future to rectify this type of problem - just a little more practice)

and here is a pic of the completed top of the aircraft. I am now working on the sides and bottom...

AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Re: SU-24 progress

Post  AdriaN on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:41 am

Ive seen this model many times at 'model toys' and always contemplated whether to buy it or not. anjother reason being im sick of 1:72's. Your camo looks really good. free hand i guess?
    just one thing that bugs me... the panel lines you made are too dark comapared to the inscribed ones. they look too 'drawn on' Wink

Post  Guest on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:48 pm

I agree, that's one reason this will not complete in model shows, but we will see how things turn out after weathering.

Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:53 am

Why not scribe the correct panel lines before starting the paint job, I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, painting the panel lines after spraying! Smile

J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  J.Fenech on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:40 pm

one of the first advise when I joined the club was about the panel lines, as these used to have a start point the disappear somewhere, sometimes mid-way. Today, the first thing I do when starting a kit is to treat the panel lines by making them deeper but not wider, regardless of the origin of the kit. This way the panels will not become obscured under the paintwork and there still be enough depth so that a wash can be run along the panel line and retained. I found this method good as it also helps during construction as the panel lines will be harder to erase by sanding, filling, etc.... and easier to rescribe any lost detail.

Post  Guest on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:40 am

On this particular model I didn't catch the difference in the panel line from the instruction to the model until I started putting on the decals. At that time the model was already painted and I felt it was to late to scribe the panel lines so I decided to draw them on. (BTW I am an architect by trade)

Current date/time is Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:35 pm