SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Soft sanding

AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Soft sanding Empty Soft sanding

Post  AdriaN Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:07 am

My post was ignored so i thought id try this section out Twisted Evil

After 3 months, i decided to try some sanding on my Panther. i am wet sanding with 1200. Im scared that i might be getting too carried away when sanding, and that i might be removing all the gloss coat. what exactly is the technique here? sand abit and its ready? when do i stop? i keep wet sanding until the wet surface feels smooth. but when the wet surface dries, you can still see the dots on the surface though not as much as before, but feel smooth. The surface looks white because of the sanding, and some parts will be more white then other. do i have to sand every bit of surface until it all turn 'white'?
    Some parts also got caught up, without me knowing, & got sanded too much and got some primer showing... but all in all it gives it that weathered chiped paint look
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Soft sanding Empty Re: Soft sanding

Post  Joseph Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:38 pm

Adrian,

I think that somewhere in the forum I have already answered something on these lines, but no problem it is my pleasure to assist an SSM member especially if he is an aircraft guy Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

1. You have to apply several coats of gloss varnish until aircraft becomes as if shrouded in glass.

2. After varnish has dried thoroughly you dry sand it with sanding paper intended for sanding varnishes. Go to your nearest ironmonger and ask him for varnish sanding paper (grit 220 & 440), it will light grey or yellowish in colour. When sanding pay particular attention to raised parts as there varnish will be very thin.

3. After sanding you will end up with a whitish model and maybe some spots (orange peel) still visible. Well you have to apply several other coats of varnish. Sand again and continue repeating this process until you end up with a smooth surface.

All varnishes will have the same end result but you have to thin them properly. I use cellulose thinner others prefer white spirit.

If you have any more question please fire up, I suggest that you come over to club so we inspect your work and will be in a better position to pass suggestions.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:01 pm

Yes you had explained once, ive understood the whole concept- varnishing several coats, the sanding part & the different sand paper grades. BUT the thing that is puzzling me is how much sanding is required and when to stop sanding the area! Wink i will take a few shots and upload to show you how it is looking. i still have to decide on the actual finish... either gloss or matt Suspect
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:51 pm

But you are still using the wet and dry method, because with all that water you cannot constantly check your sanding.

When sanding you have to try and immagine the ammount/thicknes (which would be very thin) of varnish you had applied, if in doubt stop sanding and apply other several coats of varnish. I cannot say with exact when you have to finish sanding you have to judge. When you apply excessive sanding varnish tends to peel in layers so be aware.

The best thing is when sanding (this is one of the main reasons that we work with dry sanding) you constantly check the smoothnes of the surface and when you feel that it is smooth stop.

More questions, fire up.

J
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Aah ok! i DO wet sand and its true its hard to see since it will be wet. and after it dries i get alot of 'white mud'. shall i switch too dry sand? i always thought wet sand prevents the surface from getting over damanged.. Rolling Eyes

Infact thats what im doing.. sanding and feeling Wink
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:33 am

Yes, you always dry sand the varnish.

The sanding paper I mentioned regarding the varnish is very gentle on the surface so you should have no problem. You must always gently sand and feel, this also applies for other things in life Smile Smile , the scratches you observe on the model will vanish once you apply the second coat/s of varnish.

If you want a demo, please bring the model over and will show you, advice before hand if you will need anything else.

J
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 am

I tried dry sanding.. didnt like it.. the varnish seemed to get damaged rather than smooth! wet sanding seems to be alot more gentle. Take a look and tell me if im doing it right-

Sanded vs clean
    Soft sanding Img_5510

Soft sanding Img_5511

The tail had some serious orange peel..
    Soft sanding Img_5512
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:22 pm

I think you are doing something realy wrong, I always do dry sanding on varnish using the appropraiate sand paper! Model lacks (a lot) coats of varnish that is why you are damaging the actual colour. From photos posted you are not sanding the aeroplane properly because you have areas that seem to have been well sanded and areas that where very lightly sanded. U still need to apply more coats of varnish.

J
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Im using 1200 grade... i was told at the club some time ago. i think you told me?
    Paint doesnt seem to be getting damaged.. i think thats the post shading your seeing. IT IS hard to sand... especially round tight areas with raised pane lines and the tail which suffered from most orange peel. the bottom is full of raised panel lines!
    Which parts look well sanded? i think ill go try varnish the sanded areas and see how its coming out..
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:39 am

No need to worry!
    I finished soft sanding it... cleaned it and cleaned it and cleaned it. And gave it a few coats of SSM's favorite...Johnsons Klear tonguetongue and the results are WOW! affraid
    Issa, is it because of the sanding? the Klear? or both combined? i dont know! But thanks to Klear i got no orange peel and it dried very evenly with a lovely finish Smile Me & Antoine will show you the benefits of Klear very soon at a club near you Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am