SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
matilda
clioguy
Cyril.
skyhigh
Gordon
jojjemannen
in nannu pec
William
Luke
Noel Petroni
bcauchi
iCocker
alexbb
Ray
Joseph
Dottore
Alex Kontiveis
21 posters

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE!

Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Empty 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE!

Post  Alex Kontiveis Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:43 am

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster MkIII

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Indexheader08dx6

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster MkI/III

“I believe that the Lancaster was the greater single factor in the winning the war”
    Air chief Marshal Sir Arthur Harris

HISTORY
    The Avro Lancaster was a British four-engine Second World War bomber aircraft made initially by Avro for the British Royal Air Force (RAF). It first saw active service in 1942, and together with the Handley-Page Halifax it was one of the main heavy bombers of the RAF, the RCAF and squadrons from other Commonwealth and European countries serving within RAF Bomber Command. The "Lanc" or "Lankie," as it was affectionately known became the most famous and most successful of the Second World War night bombers, "delivering 608,612 tons of bombs in 156,000 sorties."Although the Lancaster was primarily a night bomber, it excelled in many other roles including daylight precision bombing, and gained worldwide renown as the "Dam Buster" used in the 1943 Operation Chastise raids on Germany's Ruhr Valley dams.
    (source: www.en.wikipedia.org)

MY STORY

Avro Lancaster B.III 300th squadron BH-F / ME470

Crew: Schlichtinger, Kozak, Hanczakowski, Was, Szułkowski, Kuzniecow, Schmidt

-300th Polish Squadron HISTORY-

The personnel of the 300 Squadron consisted of Polish airmen who arrived to England from France in early 1940. It’s training commenced in groups: pilots at Redhill (some 40 miles S of London), while navigators and gunners, first at Eastchurch, then at Hucknall near Nottingham. And that’s where the history of the first Polish squadron on British soil starts.
    The order (WAR/B.C.127) dated 14th March 1940 had just been issued at RAF Hucknall, which confirmed the establishment of a Polish training unit as part of No. 18 Operational Training Unit at Bramcote, in No. 6 Bomber Group. Its task was to give conversion training to crews for the Polish bomber squadrons that were being formed.
    The first to be formed was No. 300 ("Masovian") Bomber Squadron on 1st July 1940. It was on that date that the Polish Air Force flag was first hoisted in Great Britain. The Squadron had 10 flying crews with 180 maintenance and other personnel. It was equipped with Faiery "Battle" light bombers of the crew of three. The code letters BH were designated to the unit. Its first commander, advised by W/Cdr K. P. Lewis, RAF, was W/Cdr W. Makowski, C.O. of the Polish Training Centre at Hucknall. F/Lt S. Cwynar commanded Flight "A" and F/Lt M. Pronaszko Flight "B". The squadron’s technical officer was F/Lt S. Budzinski. English technical and advisory staff were temporarily attached to the squadron until the Poles became fully conversant with RAF systems and procedures….
    (read more at: http://www.geocities.com/skrzydla/300/300_history.html)

DOCUMENTATION

Modelling a Lancaster is not an easy case. You must take care a lot of things and study your subject VERY carefully before start modelling. A first approach leads to common results. All lancs were the same!
    NO.
    Each Lancaster is different to others. You should search for your documentation, if you want to build a correct model.

• The main specification you have to search are:
    • Time of Action
    • Manufacturer
    • Fuselage type (Manchester’s conversion, production series etc)
    • Field of action (night or not missions) Rebecca or not
    • H2S radar existence (that means you have to make some add-ons for Navigators instruments)
    • Engines (RR Merlin, Hercules, Packard Merlin)
    • Nose Blister (narrow or Bubbled)
    • Propellers (De Havilland type, or Nash/Kelvinator)
    • Tyres type (Bulged or Smooth)
    • Exhausts (type)

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! 3003po7

My bird –according to my research- was a B.III, late type fuselage (without windows), Packard Merlin powered, Nash/Kelvinator blades, Bulged tyres, H2S radar

Tamiya Kit has a very serious mistake on fuselage… Unfortunately, neither of judges at Telford saw it to Winnings Lancs models! (You will see what I mean later during my procedure)

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! 30010gi8

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Banner0869488rr8

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Boxxw5

SECTION -A-
    PART-01- FUSELAGE/COCKPIT AREA

I will start from the Cockpit.

PILOT’S SEAT

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04219hp4

I own FlightPath’s detailing set. According to my stuff, FP improves only the side edges of the seat. Not a complete and accurate work. You have to make more improvements for a better result.
    Eduard improves Pilot’s seat, much better, BUT everything else around Pilots seat are completely wrong and inaccurate,

I decided to make a handmade seat, by using copper, evergreen, aluminium materials.
    6 hours spent for making it.

Some modification will take place later during final assembly.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04220iu0.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04216vl4.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04215zd7.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04214ud7.th

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04213mi5

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04212xh1.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04202ec8.th

That all for now, to be continued…
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how Eduard improves Pilots seat and Cockpit area. Good work on seat, but everything else are out of accuracy. ΝΟΤ USED and Not Recommended.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Ed493712fy5

My next step concerns, the fuselage frontier floor. I separate it from kit ones, and I built a new one from aluminum sheet, placed on a base of hard aluminum 2mm, to earn weight and stability.

Unfortunately, the bomb bay area exists exactly underneath floor field and it would be very difficult to work on the bomb-bay area having all these small cockpit items over it!!!

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc042791270406

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc042681243687.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc042671236828.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc042661230078.th

My next build were the Pilot's pedals. According to Lancaster manual drawings, i tried to achieve a good result working on an item of 6mm Height!!!

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc042781263609

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc042741254421.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc042691249375.th

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next step concerns the completion of the first part of Cokpit by building and placing all the components of pilot levers, navigator and radio operator tables and seats, parking brake, separators, etc.

Here I should say the following ... Eduard and Tamiya, give fixed seats on the floor but its not accurate. The navigator’s seat stands in the "air" with a rotating arm to have flexibility in both traffic movements across the area. According to photo below you can see that my build is functional!

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04331

As for the seat of the ... Radio operator things are different... there were not a seat like navigators one as Tamiya and Eduard believe... In fact the radio operator’s seat was a recumbent seat placed onto the separation wall of the first aid rooms, rest (he is among the beams assist wings).

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04327

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04329a.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04325.th

All that remains rest of this area are navigation / radio operator’s devices, radar H2S etc. ..

Next follows the build of instrument panel made by aluminium foil. The whole part of pilot console, levers etc will be sawn later, all together.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04286.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04304l.th

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04318

Thats all for today....

At this point I wish to start my next step, by correcting one of the big mistakes on Tamiya's kit. The radio-operator's window is placed in wrong place. 6mm forward...!!!

Pictures bellow, show the movement done to backward...(You check your radio-operator's table before)

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04374j

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04372y.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04542y.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04545c.th

-----------------------------------------
    Before going further to fuselage interior build, I decided to work on Bomb-bay's compartment. It is a matter of convenience for me, according to my plans for fuselage.

So..I put away everything, and I began working on this section, from the beginning.

Here I have to recommend Eduard's set (#48565 bomb rack). Excellent. It will solve the big problem of making 12 racks!!!

I made the new floor, by copying Kit's one with plastic sheet. The interior constructor, was made by evergreen, aluminum, copper. Many wires and Hydraulic devices added.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04535a

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04531g

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04536k.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04533f.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04532w.th

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04528a.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04529t.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04530l.th

My problem now is the pylons (bomb racks) 12 pieces, 12 copies!!!
    I had to find an easy way to build them, without spending to much time for them...The better way for this was the result pictured below. 20 minutes for each one...

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Hatch

I will continue by making the rest 11 pieces...

CU SOON...

Last edited by Alex Kontiveis on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Empty WOW

Post  Dottore Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:29 am

AM an AFV builder but can't not say that this is an amazing detail job...drooling allover it!

Dottore
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Empty Re: 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE!

Post  Joseph Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:28 pm

Very interesting documentation that you are putting here! you are realy doing a great job, well done and keep us posted with progress. I remember seeing this as a kit but no one had ever finished this model.

Thanks for your detailed photos explaining your work.

J

Post  Guest Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:56 pm

looking great, and fantastic detailing.
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:09 pm

Dottore wrote:AM an AFV builder but can't not say that this is an amazing detail job...drooling allover it!

Dottore

TNX Doc!javascript:emoticonp('Embarassed') That;s something like a block of flats!!! Endless!!!

Tomorrow, i will drop another update...
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Joseph wrote:Very interesting documentation that you are putting here! you are realy doing a great job, well done and keep us posted with progress. I remember seeing this as a kit but no one had ever finished this model.

Thanks for your detailed photos explaining your work.

J

TNX Jo, javascript:emoticonp('Embarassed')

There were many efforts in past. The most incredible Lanc, was presented at Telford by Tsonos Megas, a Greek Master. He is my friend. Lanc has a lot of traps...Its not a simple thing!
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:12 pm

FJ wrote:looking great, and fantastic detailing.

Wait n' see!!! TNX my friend!javascript:emoticonp('Embarassed') I appreciate it!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:34 pm

Adding my accolades with the others'......that's an amazing job you're doing Laughing

Ray affraid
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:47 pm

mind boggling work
    keep on posting
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:54 pm

RAY & ALEX

TNX fellows! Yes I'll keep posting.. I made a pause for 9 months in purpose of 20 OOB builds...and I have just started the Lank, again.
    I'm planing to give an end on September. (I hope so!)
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:08 pm

I always told and you can't deny you are crazy Alex! Impressive mate!

Ivan
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:23 am

iCocker wrote:I always told and you can't deny you are crazy Alex! Impressive mate!

Ivan

Not more than my fellows on the ROCK!!!

Here is the complete section of Bomb bay...12 bomb racks all together.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04571

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc04573d

Leaving away the bomb bay...I will start building the major interior structure of the giant...

27 frames (1,5 mm wide) were placed towards the fuselage. 344 evergreen pieces cross them...

This is the first structure's Layer on the left fuselage side. Another one (last) will follow next. Right side will be "dressed" at 1/3 because there is no chance to be seen anything...

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00001wj

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00003si

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00004ap

Here is the Flaps driver witch is placed on the central floor (there are 3 floors, cockpit - central - rear)

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00005su

to be continued....

Last edited by Alex Kontiveis on Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:36 am

Alex,

WE WANT TO SEE THIS MASTERPIECE IN MALTA NEXT YEAR FOR HIS2010!!!!!

Ivan
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Alex my friend, are you going to continue the masterpiece? Last time you mentioned it, it had completely stressed you out and you had stopped working on it. I hope you see this till the end, the detail is breathtaking, a pity to paint all that brass and plastic detailing.
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:15 am

bcauchi wrote:Alex my friend, are you going to continue the masterpiece? Last time you mentioned it, it had completely stressed you out and you had stopped working on it. I hope you see this till the end, the detail is breathtaking, a pity to paint all that brass and plastic detailing.

Hi Brian,
    What's up mate?

Look...I managed to finish 22 builds of my stock...during the last 9 months...

As far as you can see, I have started the game..again! I left the lanc temporally, by finishing the Bomb bay several months ago. Now I'm building the Fuselage..I'm not going to stop. I want to catch our next model show contest here in Greece..so I will not build any OOBs more...until Lanc is finished.

Stay tuned!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Great my friend, that's the spirit, you will probably finish before my me110's
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:52 pm

bcauchi wrote:Great my friend, that's the spirit, you will probably finish before my me110's

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be an old man...the day I will say...This is the END!!!! lol!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:17 pm

Whatever, this is a real masterpiece and you should take your time but it will be a one off work of art in the end.
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:39 am

Hallo Habib!!
    Lets see what we have built next...

1. We built the all the rear section from crew entrance to rear gunner.
    2. We made a new tail wheel and tyre. I have chosen the flat type according to my stuff as found on Polish Lancs.
    3. We built the narrow corridor which connects Bombay floor and Rear section.
    4. We placed a driver on roof to attach the Leds later.
    5. We attached the new bomb bay and we built the bombardiers area

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00007y

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00008qp

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00009lr

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00010u

[img:91f8]http://1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00011mz

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00012u

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00015v

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00011yh

By all these we are finished with the RIGHT side and her BASIC structure.

Here is the new tail wheel

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00001dvl

and some pics a couple hours later...I sprayed all the interior with Mr Surfacer (primer)...and everything transformed to ....the awful Grey color!!!

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00016pq

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00002y

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00003do

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00004qv

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00011x

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00013hq

We are going further to the LEFT side...C U SOON Guys!

Alex!
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:33 am

dont keep us waiting long
    wonderful stuff
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:57 pm

alex wrote:dont keep us waiting long
    wonderful stuff

TNX Alex...

This subject needs....patient!!! Sleep lol!

Post  Guest Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:12 pm

great work, keep posting
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Very nice work, well done.

About Mr Surfacer primer, are you using aerosol cans or you spray from the airbrush?

Well done again.

J
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Joseph wrote:Very nice work, well done.

About Mr Surfacer primer, are you using aerosol cans or you spray from the airbrush?

Well done again.

J

Aerosol can. Its faster, and safer than spoiling my airbrush... Fssssssss....and finished!

TNX JO!

TNX FJ!
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:50 am

Here we are again Habib!
    We have started work on the right side of the Lanc's interior. Not so hard work done compared to the left side.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00001n

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00002qv

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00003it

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00006lz

At this pic, we attached the cockpit's floor. As far as you can notice..all the impressive items are OFF. I was forced to do that cause of my wrong calculations. At this point I suggest to finish all the main structure before you start making cockpit's items.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00007bwx

Desperate enough? After many dry fits, trim outs etc, I managed to achieve the suitable apply.

So...We sprayed a couple of coats using Mr Surfacer primer and we stepped forward to basic painting job.
    Interior Green and Matt Black.
    Everybody knows that all the RAF bombardiers were painted (primer interior RAF gray-green. (Humbrol 78)

Many Lancs were not Green inside...but pure aluminium according to my sources. For safety reasons, I decided to follow up the common logic...and i painted primer Green.
    Here is the first coat of painting job. No oils, no drybrush, no weathering Yet.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00004u

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00004u.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00005is.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00006zw.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00008lt.th

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00009ko.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00016d.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00017c.th 1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00018jp.th

Here you can see the next steps...I separated my interior work in 5 sections. That will help me to make my schedule without getting confused.

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00003fb

Here we go then...Do you remember the little handmade seat?

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00027q

1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster...ENDE! Dsc00028ua

At this point I used aftermarket seatbelts (Eduard)...Of course everything else is coming by Kontex workshop!!!!

TNX for your attention...

to be continued!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:46 pm