SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
clioguy
David
AdriaN
Tancred
alexbb
smallia
matilda
Joseph
slingshot392
olivermifsud
bcauchi
in nannu pec
Dottore
Samwel18
iCocker
skyhigh
RayCaruana
Ray
22 posters

Butterfly Princess 80mm

alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Empty Re: Butterfly Princess 80mm

Post  alexbb Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:23 pm

[quote="iCocker"]Issa la lest it-tpecliq mhux ahjar tibdew [plural ghax anke ghad-Dottore] tibdew tisprejaw !!!!!

IVAN QRAJTLI MOHHI
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:52 pm

Started spraying Halleluljah Twisted Evil

Started from the leaf Twisted Evil

Sprayed the upper portion twice since I did not like the effect, than sprayed the bottom of the leaf, where I obviously had to respray the upper portion Evil or Very Mad

Than, I realised that I should have sprayed the "pond", which in turn would be masked to spray the bottom of the leaf and the upper portion again Laughing

So I really restarted from the "pond", and it is ready now cheers

Tomorrow I'll mask the "pond" and spray the leaf's bottom, move on to the upper portion, mask the leaf and stem and spray the petals Twisted Evil

I don't regret my haste to spray actually, as I am getting the hang of it after soooooo many years Evil or Very Mad my right pointer finger has never been so numb since I sprayed the scribble on the Ju-87D in 1990 Sad

Joking apart, it was a looooooooong session all afternoon and early eve, as I got accustomed to the "new" spraying medium.....Vallejo Air responded well to mineral water dilution of up to 2:1 or to be precise 7:4....they spray well from the bottle but a little dilution works better IMHO. I splattered a bit sometimes, or oversprayed, so a rush to the oven was more then required Cool but all in all a very pleasing afternoon as airbrush performed very well Twisted Evil

Maybe I'll bring the leaf with me tomorrow alien
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:44 am

Ray a portable hairdryer is handy with Vallejo's ... so after this would you contemply to move to airbrush like Cabos?
    Ivan
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:06 pm

iCocker wrote:Ray a portable hairdryer is handy with Vallejo's ... so after this would you contemply to move to airbrush like Cabos?
    Ivan

Haha nice one Ivan Evil or Very Mad

Well, the "large areas" why not? It saves you time. You still have to retouch and add with the paint brush, but when you manage to spray you would have at least 3 out 5 steps ready in no time at all and the blending is unbeatable for sure.

Capes, matles and cloaks on any scale could be sprayed on, as I said at least the first 3 steps of base coat, and two highlights. Bust faces just call out for the airbrush as well plus their larger areas of any clothing Twisted Evil

Just look at what Pepa Svaadera can conjour on her pieces Shocked What a Face Cool and your fingers start to itch for the airbrush Laughing
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:01 am

Following Ivan's and Harold's confirmation last Wed, that while in Girona in 2008, they saw and experienced modellers spraying and diluting for that matter with WINDOLENE scratch (I couldn't have seen them from STARING at the Pirjol all day long Sad Sad )

So on Saturday morning,I bought a Turtle Wax ClearVue, Glass Clean!! It is too crazy to be true, but, I managed to use NORMAL VALLEJO AND ANDREA!!!!!!!!! Amazing results believe me.........the trick here is to make a heavy dilution of 1:10 at least and you'll have a smooth flow and finish, with less and less clogging of the badger than Vallejo Air......I understand that the best is Tamiya Acrylics, but with the vast range of Vallejo and Andrea, I think I'll stick to them...........I'll also try the Maimeri's with this window cleaner dilution (maybe our esteemed ALCHEMIST Alex, will try it before me Suspect ) after I finish the Butterfly Princess and see what I can conjour with them. I'll shoot & post some pics asa I can Twisted Evil

Maybe Tamiya will respond to the Turtle Wax ClearVue Glass Clean Laughing ???????

Ah I still can't believe this crazy thing honestly. Joseph saw the result yesterday and although I am far from finished, I'm really pleased with my spraying up till now Twisted Evil the aircraft days seem to have hung in there somewhere/somewhat/somehow Cool
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:01 pm

Windowlene isnt for sale in malta Evil or Very Mad It is used by many modellers to clean Klear/Future since it contains ammonia.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:30 pm

AdriaN wrote:Windowlene isnt for sale in malta Evil or Very Mad It is used by many modellers to clean Klear/Future since it contains ammonia.

Well that is why I bought an alternative in Turtle Wax ClearVue Glass Clean lol!

I presumed it contains the same INGREDIENTS since it cleans glass lol! and while I am no ALCHEMIST like Alex, nor did I read the INGREDIENTS on the bottle, I just went along and tried it out with the saying, "NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED" playing 24/7 in my mind Twisted Evil
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Ray wrote:
    AdriaN wrote:Windowlene isnt for sale in malta Evil or Very Mad It is used by many modellers to clean Klear/Future since it contains ammonia.

Well that is why I bought an alternative in Turtle Wax ClearVue Glass Clean lol!

I presumed it contains the same INGREDIENTS since it cleans glass lol! and while I am no ALCHEMIST like Alex, nor did I read the INGREDIENTS on the bottle, I just went along and tried it out with the saying, "NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED" playing 24/7 in my mind Twisted Evil

ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE WOULD BE VETREL ACCORDING TO SOME ITALIAN MODELLERS ON MODELLISMO PIU' FORUM
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:13 pm

alex wrote:
    Ray wrote:

ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE WOULD BE VETREL ACCORDING TO SOME ITALIAN MODELLERS ON MODELLISMO PIU' FORUM

Getting mixed and interesting by the minute it seems Twisted Evil

Can't wait to show my exam results lol!
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:17 pm

NOW YOU HAVE TEASED US ENOUGH

WE WANT TO SEE HER NOW
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:16 pm

alex wrote:NOW YOU HAVE TEASED US ENOUGH

WE WANT TO SEE HER NOW

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

It is impossible to show her now as she just had a shower Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

But I PROMISE YOU that I'll shoot some pics in her present state, where the wings served more of a "training canvas" for the choice of colours and the PROPERTIES explained EARLIER rather than being the final pattern per se Twisted Evil

I guess I have to copy and paste the above statement when I do post them pics I think, for the benefit of the many butterfly experts that would surely crop up Evil or Very Mad
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Ray wrote:

Well not really, Turtle Wax ClearVue Glass Clean DOESNT contain ammonia Sad Sad Pity because i wud have liked to use it for cleaning after Klear

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,17

*BTW what are you using it for? diluting & cleaning acrylics?? scratch
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:28 am

Diluting Adrain, we are trying to find a different mixture that thins acrylics consistency to flow better then water in an airbrush.

Adrain, ammonia I used to get mine from pharmacists and labs but prepare to be asked a 1000 questions for its use ... but is it not very strong on paint? That is another easily available substance that has ammonia, Romans used it to bleach wool and cotton ...

Hope it helps ...

Ivan
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Empty I HAVE.....

Post  Dottore Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:53 am

Windolene....sent to me by my esteemed brothers from the UK...I can confirm it has ammonia and is a different packaging of the original Windex which was first used to thin or clean after Klear/Future.
    Am I getting you guys right...youre thinning Valleyo with window cleaning stuff?

If anyone wants some windolene just drop me a line....

Dottore....there when you need him.... cheers
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:45 am

Dottore wrote:Windolene....sent to me by my esteemed brothers from the UK...I can confirm it has ammonia and is a different packaging of the original Windex which was first used to thin or clean after Klear/Future.
    Am I getting you guys right...youre thinning Valleyo with window cleaning stuff?

If anyone wants some windolene just drop me a line....

Dottore....there when you need him.... cheers

dott i have a pain in the b........... can you help
    lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

joking apart please get me some to try it out. i am compiling a list of different diluants for different paints. i have also found some liquitex pro-inks which are simply fantastic to airbrush no authentic/military colours just the normal artist range with a flat black and white sprayable ink as well
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:28 pm

iCocker wrote:Diluting Adrain, we are trying to find a different mixture that thins acrylics consistency to flow better then water in an airbrush.

Adrain, ammonia I used to get mine from pharmacists and labs but prepare to be asked a 1000 questions for its use ... but is it not very strong on paint? That is another easily available substance that has ammonia, Romans used it to bleach wool and cotton ...

Hope it helps ...

Ivan

I understand your problem. i personally dont really like using water for thinning Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

From what i read, most modellers use IPA, water, or the paints assigned thinner, also flow enhancer (which i cant find anywhere in any art shop)

When i use revell acrylics (which are quite thick) i thin with 'revell aqua color clean'... which is really made for cleaning dried paint! I also add some Klear to help level/set properly. somtimes a few drops of water.

Only prob with ammonia from pharmasists is they are very strong. i need a small ammount (like 5% ammon) Isually clean my ab with water then badger airbrsh cleaner. i think it works. but for all i know.. its slowly clogging my airbrush away pale
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:09 pm

AdriaN wrote:
    iCocker wrote:Diluting Adrain, we are trying to find a different mixture that thins acrylics consistency to flow better then water in an airbrush.

Hope it helps ...

Ivan

I understand your problem. i personally dont really like using water for thinning Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

From what i read, most modellers use IPA, water, or the paints assigned thinner, also flow enhancer (which i cant find anywhere in any art shop)

When i use revell acrylics (which are quite thick) i thin with 'revell aqua color clean'... which is really made for cleaning dried paint! I also add some Klear to help level/set properly. somtimes a few drops of water.

Only prob with ammonia from pharmasists is they are very strong. i need a small ammount (like 5% ammon) Isually clean my ab with water then badger airbrsh cleaner. i think it works. but for all i know.. its slowly clogging my airbrush away pale

So use the Roman way then ...
    David
    David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:25 pm

I have had no problems using diluted Pebeo acrylic gloss varnish and water as a medium and then added normal Vallejo colours for airbrush use. You can also control the opacity by using less colour.

D
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

David wrote:I have had no problems using diluted Pebeo acrylic gloss varnish and water as a medium and then added normal Vallejo colours for airbrush use. You can also control the opacity by using less colour.

D

YesDavid that is their natural ingredient, but all acrylics have a tendency to clog after long hours working especially on low pressure, and is very difficult to have full control especially for hairlines and effects, apart it really has a tendency to orange peel with just water or their designated thinners, especially if weather is very humid. I have came across all these issues and have used almost all available model brands. Personally that is why I opted for Gunze and Tamiya 'acrylics'.

We are trying to get an ingredient we saw it in very good use during WE and these young French geeks managed to achieve a total controlled flow, and Harold and me can testify it really works as we used it and managed hairlines without any stress.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:35 pm

iCocker wrote:
    AdriaN wrote:

Hope it helps ...

Ivan

So use the Roman way then ...

I dont fancy bleaching my airbrush & skin lol!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:25 am

NOTHING IS FINISHED before you line me up against the firing wall pale

Too tired to comment any further, so if in doubt please go back a few posts where I explained everything scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch

Hitting the hay after this so good night ALL Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Pictur52

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Pictur53

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Pictur54

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Pictur55

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Pictur56

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Pictur57

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Pictur58

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Pictur59

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Pictur60
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Empty looking goooooooood!

Post  Dottore Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:40 am

Great colours and airbrush work Ray!

Dottore

Now where did I put that butterfly net..... cat

Post  Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:47 am

Nice work Ray, looks much much better with some color on.

p.s. - it is good to see that you still know how to use the airbrush What a Face Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:07 am

Looking great Ray, prosit xi gmiel, i love the leaf, it looks real.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:47 am

Great smooth work mate, love the tones ...
    I know it is a fantasy subject based on 'natural' elements but I have one question mate, why have you reserved the dramatic colours for the wings on the underside. In nature it is the reverse. Butterflies have drap or pale colours on the inside to be used as camo when the wings are at rest. The colourful area is when the wings are open, moths are teh reverse ... again I am basing this ideology on the real thing, so in a fantasy subject things can be as the artist wish ... BUT was wondering our butterfly expert how this went unnoticed ... Butterfly Princess 80mm - Page 6 Icon_surprised
    Ivan

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:30 pm