SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Dottore
Tancred
William
bcauchi
Luke
Ray
Noel Petroni
11 posters

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE

jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 Empty Re: Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE

Post  jojjemannen Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 am

That is a tough one Noel.

But what it looks like to me is that from the bottom of the plate to the "hatch" you have 75% of the dust

Here, a picture to show what I mean.
    Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 Ea0c1510

So perhaps a bit more dusting in the 75% area Smile

This is my interpretation of the picture you posted.

/Tiny
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 Empty Re: Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE

Post  iCocker Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Noel,

To get that effect, I would first work in stages, first faint coats with my airbrush, creating a dust effect on the 75% area clearly highlighted by Tiny, working in a gradation effect, darker to the bottom. Then will continue the effect with filters and finally pigments. always working a gradation effect and utilising different colours to add more effect. Notice that dust will go anywhere Noel, you have some details that are too clean vis a vie the overall look, something that stands out from the rest are the canisters, very clean and monotone tone. They need further weathering IMHO, they just look basecoated and washed, personally I will go a bit more with paintbrush on these, you have such a lovely weave that cry out for a 3D effect, don't fall in the trap to make them both the same, those are natural materials and like wood you have difference from one and another ... sorry to be nitpicking, but I think these additions would add more to the overall look ... keep up the good work!

Ivan
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks, Tiny & Ivan!

Joseph.....I already used the airbrush to make the lower part of the panel more dusty than the top bit. But Doing this with an airbrush requires a perfect thinned paint and extremely clean nozzle and care has to be taken not to overdo the airbrushing....... it's a bit scary! But I'll have another go and concentrate more on the lower part as you suggested.

Ivan..... the parts that I'm concentrating on at the moment are the front hull, fenders, running gear and hull structure panels.

The jack, canisters, rear engine structure, exhaust and tracks still need a lot of attention. They are just base coated! Very Happy Than there is the gun to tackle!

Thanks for your comments
    Noel
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Ok, so I added more dust (with an airbrush) on the lower portion of the structure....... hope it looks goos!

BEFORE
    Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-r01

AFTER
    Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-MD02

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PH-md01
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:04 am

I wish I could say that I see a difference, but it's not that noticeable. Perhaps just a bit more dust. A tiny bit.

I missed you at the club by the way!
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:37 am

why not try and add some more "dust" on the running gear front lower hull and mudguards. that way you will have a gradual weathering effect. apart from this i think the weathering is great and the subject itself is facinating but than again it would be for me. considering that the more ungainly, strange and ugly looking the vehicle the more i like it.
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:59 pm

I think that it looks great Noel and the dirt effect increasing toward the bottom in my opinion has been achieved. It is gradually increased to the lower part of the structure. Looks fine to me.
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:16 am

At last I'm back!1

Hope I can post more often......... some updates on the diorama I'm doing and to show that I've not been idol...

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-farm2

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-farm3

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-farm5

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-farm6

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-farm7

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-kub1

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-kub2
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:21 am

Thank God you're back Twisted Evil

But DEFINITELY we had no doubts that you were "IDOL".....IDLE maybe, but IDOL not Evil or Very Mad

Great work bro cheers
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:45 pm

Great stuff my Idol, as usual. Hopeyu don;t mind the small jab at you, just joking lol! lol! lol!
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:51 am

My mistake! Embarassed

I'm watching too much of American Idol!!!!

Regards
    Noel
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:52 pm

To show I've been busy......

Farm house 95% ready.........
    Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-farmhouse

Conversion!
    Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-Con01

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-con03

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PB-cov02
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:24 pm

looking good mate Twisted Evil

Are you going to send something which fits in linited space to Euro? Shocked
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 Empty Stunning farmhouse...

Post  Dottore Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Really like how you've painted that building!!!

Dottore
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Love the interaction of the figures!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:10 am

I love it all, always love your work Noel, it is looking really good. The guys have a great pose, very natural.
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Nice work as always Noel I love you

Would like to suggest that one of the crew on the Bison gets a different cap or no cap at all as they look too similar.

Tankred afro
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:57 pm

Great suggestion Tancred.
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Tancred wrote:
    Nice work as always Noel I love you

Would like to suggest that one of the crew on the Bison gets a different cap or no cap at all as they look too similar.

Thank you all for your comments!

Tancred...... all the photos I have of Bison crew are all wearing the first version of this cap. In fact I also wanted the standing guy to have this cap as well but since I wanted that expression on his face and did not have another flat cap,so I had to adorn him with what was called the 'side cap' or 'overseas cap.

Anyhow, the set up is real fact as all crew members had the same clothes and headgear. Having the standing guy wearing the 'side cap' is also a possibility because at this time some crew members were doing away with the flat beret. Anyway..... it's too late to change them now!!

Regards
    Noel

Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:11 pm

bcauchi wrote:Great suggestion Tancred.

Yes on looking at it again I think TanKRed and Brian are right Twisted Evil

Maybe you could have made the cap as a rolled item in one of their hands as they look too similar, real fact or not, they just look too identical in a group of three on a small setting such as this vignette Evil or Very Mad
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:00 pm

I don't agree....sorry!

It's a uniform and uniform means the same form!

Regards
    Noel
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Noel Petroni wrote:I don't agree....sorry!

Regards
    Noel

I agree re uniform, but here on such a small area it will look too uniform....as I said real facts or not, you have to create a bit of diversity, some artistic touch while you remain within the boundaries of real facts. So a bare headed guy like TanKRed suggested or with a rolled cap in his hand like I suggested (he could take the cap off since he's not on parade eh) would be breaking no rules, and would have created that touch that makes all the "difference" when you view the finished piece.

I'm sure that after creating so much beautiful dioramas in your career, you know that these little touches are imperative in the whole and final setting!
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Ray wrote:
    Noel Petroni wrote:I don't agree....sorry!

Regards
    Noel

I agree re uniform, but here on such a small area it will look too uniform....as I said real facts or not, you have to create a bit of diversity, some artistic touch while you remain within the boundaries of real facts. So a bare headed guy like TanKRed suggested or with a rolled cap in his hand like I suggested (he could take the cap off since he's not on parade eh) would be breaking no rules, and would have created that touch that makes all the "difference" when you view the finished piece.

I'm sure that after creating so much beautiful dioramas in your career, you know that these little touches are imperative in the whole and final setting!

Apart from it being too late to change.... I still don't agree! THe whole diorama is more than just those 3 figures so the eye of the viewer will be talking more than just looking at the 3 figures! And still..... a crew especially during the early stages of the war were all uniform!

Kubelwagen before washes
    Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 PH-Kubel

Ray..... shall I remove one wheel so it won't look uniform? Very Happy

Regards
    Noel
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Dragon Bison I Diorama - FENCE IS WHITE - Page 2 Empty Well....

Post  Dottore Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:22 pm

I have seen COUNTLESS russian model tanks with one wheel off, damaged by a mine or of a completely different colour for the sake of avoiding monotony...so while u meant it as a joke...it is actually a valid point!

Dottore
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Dottore wrote:I have seen COUNTLESS russian model tanks with one wheel off, damaged by a mine or of a completely different colour for the sake of avoiding monotony...so while u meant it as a joke...it is actually a valid point!

Dottore

The scene is during France 1940 and a battalion of Bison I's with accompanying vehicles, like the one in the diorama transporting officers, are halted for a moment till the offers look through binoculars to confirm their positions. Whilst the crew await order to move, one member of the Bison went knocking on the door of a farmer and managed to get wine and a bucket of apples whilst the other soldiers around are grinning and without the knowledge of the two officers!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:40 am