Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Share

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:29 pm

    Hi all,

    I believe most of you already saw this kit when I got it at the club. While it was there, some members made me notice how the yellow bands on the leading edge of the wing where too "new" when compared to the remaining part of the body. So these past 2 days, I spent some time fixing it (masked the area, sprayed aluminium, applied salt, then yellow). I think the result is better now.


    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1388
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 38
    Location : Tarxien, Malta

    Good chipping effect....

    Post  Dottore on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:36 pm

    Maybe to make it excellent you should add many TINY chips too...I have studied many chips on vehicles and what I believe makes them look most authentic on models is the vareity in shape and size...

    In your model you have some great klooking chips which are mostly of the medium to large size...maybe you could try applying many small dots AROUND the larger ones with a fine brush...

    Just a thought mate great job otherwise...

    Dottore

    PS I am a fan of the Hairspray tachnique and I assure you chips are really easy and better lookign that way...next time!

    J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2103
    Join date : 2009-08-01
    Age : 42
    Location : MALTA - South

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  J.Fenech on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:49 pm

    Not a very fond fan of such indiscrimate chipping, but that is a matter of choice/opinion. Just a small note, whilst the body/wings are heavily battered, the wing roots and cockpit edges looks quite intact paint wise, where these areas would stepped/grabbed on by pilots and ground crew, so if the weather/coral dust/etc did that damage, what would shoes do?

    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:51 pm

    one thing i noticed is that the yellow band on the inside (red line)still looks to new. i would suggest you scartch it to expose both metallic and the green overall paint. another thing is the hinumaru red on the markings its too red for my liking it should be more rust red. otherwise the model looks very very good

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:52 pm

    J.Fenech wrote:Not a very fond fan of such indiscrimate chipping, but that is a matter of choice/opinion. Just a small note, whilst the body/wings are heavily battered, the wing roots and cockpit edges looks quite intact paint wise, where these areas would stepped/grabbed on by pilots and ground crew, so if the weather/coral dust/etc did that damage, what would shoes do?

    Got it... will try some fixings....

    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:55 pm

    J.Fenech wrote:Not a very fond fan of such indiscrimate chipping, but that is a matter of choice/opinion. Just a small note, whilst the body/wings are heavily battered, the wing roots and cockpit edges looks quite intact paint wise, where these areas would stepped/grabbed on by pilots and ground crew, so if the weather/coral dust/etc did that damage, what would shoes do?

    joe, japanese paint did not stick too well on these aircraft most pictures you see are heavily chipped . most probably due to the laquered metallic paint underneath .

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:01 pm

    alex wrote:
    J.Fenech wrote:Not a very fond fan of such indiscrimate chipping, but that is a matter of choice/opinion. Just a small note, whilst the body/wings are heavily battered, the wing roots and cockpit edges looks quite intact paint wise, where these areas would stepped/grabbed on by pilots and ground crew, so if the weather/coral dust/etc did that damage, what would shoes do?

    joe, japanese paint did not stick too well on these aircraft most pictures you see are heavily chipped . most probably due to the laquered metallic paint underneath .

    My point for heavily chipping this bird, although Joe is also right, I need to expose more aluminium at the wing roots and cockpit sides..... any side in particular which should be more bare, or both the same?

    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:16 pm

    clioguy wrote:
    alex wrote:
    J.Fenech wrote:Not a very fond fan of such indiscrimate chipping, but that is a matter of choice/opinion. Just a small note, whilst the body/wings are heavily battered, the wing roots and cockpit edges looks quite intact paint wise, where these areas would stepped/grabbed on by pilots and ground crew, so if the weather/coral dust/etc did that damage, what would shoes do?

    joe, japanese paint did not stick too well on these aircraft most pictures you see are heavily chipped . most probably due to the laquered metallic paint underneath .

    My point for heavily chipping this bird, although Joe is also right, I need to expose more aluminium at the wing roots and cockpit sides..... any side in particular which should be more bare, or both the same?
    I think its both usually you have two attendants one on each side strapping the pilot up.
    sorry for insisting on the yellow its too clean , i would go for a predominance of green chipping over metal

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  Ray on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:19 pm

    Brave job you did and veru good result on paint that was mostly applied with WEEDS (now that is a makeshift use for WEEDS, and not to make Butterfly Princess's thongs Twisted Evil )
    lol!

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:21 pm

    What do you mean by
    alex wrote:sorry for insisting on the yellow its too clean , i would go for a predominance of green chipping over metal

    Do you mean clean ==> not weathered or clean ==> not chipped enough?

    Also, what do you mean by predominance of green chipping over metal?

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:22 pm

    Ray wrote:Brave job you did and veru good result on paint that was mostly applied with WEEDS (now that is a makeshift use for WEEDS, and not to make Butterfly Princess's thongs Twisted Evil )
    lol!

    WHATEVER!! ( lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! )

    Ahjar naqtawa din tal-whatever!! (and thanks for the comment)

    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:24 pm

    clioguy wrote:What do you mean by
    alex wrote:sorry for insisting on the yellow its too clean , i would go for a predominance of green chipping over metal

    Do you mean clean ==> not weathered or clean ==> not chipped enough?

    Also, what do you mean by predominance of green chipping over metal?
    not chipped enough specially in the areas i marked in red.
    as for the second question the yellow was painted over the green. chip the yellow to reveal the green and some metal
    capish as the doc would say

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  Ray on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 pm

    clioguy wrote:
    Ray wrote:Brave job you did and veru good result on paint that was mostly applied with WEEDS (now that is a makeshift use for WEEDS, and not to make Butterfly Princess's thongs Twisted Evil )
    lol!

    WHATEVER!! ( lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! )

    Ahjar naqtawa din tal-whatever!! (and thanks for the comment)

    WHATEVER Duncan and Speak for Yourself coz I ain't gonna cut anything which is after all a child at heart quote.....Sam thinks he's the originator but my nephew Jeremy said it before him lol!

    So.......So.......So....... CHORUS......."WHATEVER" lol!

    Sowwy for the HIGHJACK AHFIRLI PLZ Sad


    Last edited by Ray on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:44 pm

    Ray wrote:
    clioguy wrote:
    Ray wrote:Brave job you did and veru good result on paint that was mostly applied with WEEDS (now that is a makeshift use for WEEDS, and not to make Butterfly Princess's thongs Twisted Evil )
    lol!

    WHATEVER!! ( lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! )

    Ahjar naqtawa din tal-whatever!! (and thanks for the comment)

    WHATEVER Duncan and Speak for Yourself coz I ain't gonna cut anything which is after all a child at heart quote.....Sam thinks he's the originator but my nephew Jeremy said it before him lol!

    So.......So.......So....... CHOIR.......WHATEVER lol!

    Sowwy for the HIGHJACK AHFIRLI PLZ Sad

    Mahfur u lest!!

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:49 pm

    alex wrote:
    clioguy wrote:What do you mean by
    alex wrote:sorry for insisting on the yellow its too clean , i would go for a predominance of green chipping over metal

    Do you mean clean ==> not weathered or clean ==> not chipped enough?

    Also, what do you mean by predominance of green chipping over metal?
    not chipped enough specially in the areas i marked in red.
    as for the second question the yellow was painted over the green. chip the yellow to reveal the green and some metal
    capish as the doc would say

    Oooopss Embarassed didn't see the red markings before.....

    I wasn't aware that the yellow was pointed OVER the green, I thought it was painted over the aluminium....I can try and fill some of the chipping with the green and see what the effect is.

    Regarding the roundels, maybe I can fix that with an oil filter?

    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1388
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 38
    Location : Tarxien, Malta

    fixings....

    Post  Dottore on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:36 pm

    as i pointed out hairspray techniqu gives u the advantage of being able to chip specifically where you want...oin that way you could focus chipping on the cockpit sides etc...

    As for this model it is very good as it is...I would recommend trying some brush chipping maybe around cockpit etc but I wouldnt bother with all the other nitpicks as you run the ricsk of ruining an othewise nice model for the sake of nit picks as valid as they obviously are....

    Just keep them in mind for next bird...

    Dottore

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:41 pm

    does the hairspray technique work with enamels?

    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:21 pm

    clioguy wrote:does the hairspray technique work with enamels?
    some say it does work but i have serious doubt

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 3172
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 42
    Location : Marsascala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  iCocker on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:27 pm

    Probably the salt technique is more ideal, hairspray has to be water based ...

    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1388
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 38
    Location : Tarxien, Malta

    Duncan....

    Post  Dottore on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:06 pm

    once you go acrylic...you wont go back.

    Others in the club keep to acrylics cos they have a huge depot of enamel based paints and are opbviously reluctant to throw away....

    The colour vividity of acrylics is unmatched...dry faster and non toxic...

    Any advantages of enamels?

    Dottore

    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:12 pm

    Dottore wrote:once you go acrylic...you wont go back.

    Others in the club keep to acrylics cos they have a huge depot of enamel based paints and are opbviously reluctant to throw away....

    The colour vividity of acrylics is unmatched...dry faster and non toxic...

    Any advantages of enamels?

    Dottore
    yes fine lines easy to do and this is comming from an acryllic paint apostle .your turn at scrabble dott

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:19 pm

    also if enamels dry up inside the airbrush, you will not bring down the whole sky swearing, but a little thinner and you're back in action.

    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

    Posts : 1388
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 38
    Location : Tarxien, Malta

    Ever heard of....

    Post  Dottore on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:25 pm

    Sprayaway Duncan cheers Never had prolems with Tamiya acrylics and Noel can vouche for Lifecolour...I know Vallejo are a little tougher to get used to but hey everything has a learning curve!


    Dottore

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 3172
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 42
    Location : Marsascala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  iCocker on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:30 pm

    We also found something good for Vallejo as Ray found out!

    Both parties have the pronse and cons, but once you touch acrylics or Tamiya, you'll find how fast you can work ... think about it!


    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  Ray on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:56 pm

    Dottore wrote:once you go acrylic...you wont go back.

    Others in the club keep to acrylics cos they have a huge depot of enamel based paints and are opbviously reluctant to throw away....

    The colour vividity of acrylics is unmatched...dry faster and non toxic...

    Any advantages of enamels?

    Dottore

    The ORACLE HAS SPOKEN Sad

    What do you know of ENAMELS???????

    Enamels are UNBEATABLE for any kind of delicate scribble, mottle and the least of overspray!!!!!!!

    They are also unbeatable for troublefree clogging of the airbrush, so less time consuming......the time you spend applying sprayawy in the airbrush after each bout/cup full of paint, you would spray a 1:1 model Twisted Evil

    I am STILL WAITING and I DARE and CHALLENGE anyone to pull out a scribble or mottle scheme IN ACRYLICS, on a 1/72nd Aircraft like Aldo executes in ENAMELS Evil or Very Mad

    So Doc Roe, before you DARE make any comparisons of any kind, BE SURE you would have at least a SOUND KNOWLEDGE on the matter, moreover if you would have not experienced that matter yoursef Twisted Evil

    IMHO Acrylics are LIFELESS......no smell Sad I miss the smell of cellulose, white spirit, turpentine, Oil paint and Linseed Oil even if branded "unhealthy and enemy of the enviorment" we're still gonna ALL die after all cheers



      Current date/time is Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:29 pm