Confession of a modeller!

iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Confession of a modeller!

Post  iCocker on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:24 am

The way new products are going, overengineered may I say? Check the link below ...
    Lets face it technology has given us an uphand in our miniworld, but lately I am finding things going too overengineered ... those who work with Aber PE might testify this, I have purchased a couple of resin MG42 which had all the minute detail opened up in 1/35 now check this out .... http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/newkitnews/1120prod.html ... 21 resin parts for drum magazine which is maybe 1.5cm in all!!!????

I think the Acute Modelling Syndrome is also working in the production houses, though personally I am one that raves for minute detailing and love to go into that extra length sometimes, I feel it tends to be overdone. If you look closely to the item in the link, these things are just a couple of cm high, the detail is outstanding and probably the amount of time to get them together them will beat the record of 16hrs to build an MG [sorry Doc can't resist this]. Yet again are we in need of such extra fine detail when we need to spend so much hours to finish up just a minor implement to a project ...
    Opinions anybody?

jojjemannen
    Admin

Re: Confession of a modeller!

Post  jojjemannen on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:59 am

OK, thats just too much!

alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:31 pm

ridiculous but i do like the range finder though

bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:28 pm

I think that the more detail you can put in the better the result and the more realistic. I feel that one can never put in enough detail. These aftermarket sets, however are a challenge for us scratchbuilders and keep on raising the bar on the amount of detail one expects to see in a model and that is a burden!

iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:43 am

I guess so Brian.
    Looks like nowadays scratchbuilders need more be userfriendly with CAD and invest in a 3D printer ... difficult to build that intricate detail without technology!

Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:05 am

jojjemannen wrote:OK, thats just too much!

AGREED 101% Evil or Very Mad

"ridiculous but i do like the range finder though"

I also agree 101% with Alex's quote above

Brian & Ivan......IMHO if I can't find it, I build it (with my MEAGRE MORTAL NON TECHNOLOGICAL FIBRES) BUT IF I FIND IT I WON'T BUILD IT.......BUY IT, DEPENDS on a few things Evil or Very Mad

Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Technology....

Post  Dottore on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:28 am

I think there will always be a scope for aftermarket cottage industries cos naturally slide moulding though very good by today's standards has limitations....

As Ray said however I DO like extra detail and if my sanity (and time) allows I do like to go for that little extra detail even if at a cost...

On the other hand I many times see models OOTB which are beautifully painted and one wonders if sometimes it is worth at all going overboard with detail....

Just my thoughts....

Dottore

alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Dottore wrote:I think there will always be a scope for aftermarket cottage industries cos naturally slide moulding though very good by today's standards has limitations....

As Ray said however I DO like extra detail and if my sanity (and time) allows I do like to go for that little extra detail even if at a cost...

On the other hand I many times see models OOTB which are beautifully painted and one wonders if sometimes it is worth at all going overboard with detail....

Just my thoughts....

Dottore

now speaking on afv modelling only. my humble opinion is this todays armuor kits are already already overengineered, a normal tank kit by dragon or trumpeteer easily run into 400 parts with some nearing a thousand now imagine with the normal p.e. sets and resin updates how far it will go, considering that some if not most of the fine detail will be hidden by weathering i would keep things simple. if it looks right why re-invent the wheel.

Current date/time is Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:38 am