SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
skyhigh
iCocker
Ray
7 posters

What is the most/least DIFFICULT?

Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

What is the most/least DIFFICULT? Empty What is the most/least DIFFICULT?

Post  Ray Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:38 pm

My Brothers,

I know I'm going to stir a hornet's nest with this one, but what the heck, LET IT ROLL & VIVE LE DIFFERENCE cheers

In My Humble Opinion, I classify the Difficulty in Constructing Scale Models (Boxed Kits) as follows, starting with the
    most difficult & continue subsequently as less difficult with each increasing number Shocked

No 1....... Wooden Sailing Ships Mad

No 2....... Biplanes Crying or Very sad

No 3....... Monoplanes Sad

No 4....... Trucks, Cars & Bikes pale

No 4....... Plastic Ships pale

No 4....... Tanks & AFV's pale

No 5....... Figurines Embarassed Sad pale

Before you OPEN FIRE, please remember that it is ONLY MY HUMBLE OPINION/THOUGHT, and it is for BOXED KITS ONLY.

ANY SCRATCH BUILDING, WHATEVER IT IS, FALLS UNDER THE SAME HIGH PRIORITY OF THE SAME DIFFICULTY cheers

Please also REMEBER, before SHOOTING at me, that IT IS CONSTRUCTION ONLY & NOT FINISHING THE MODEL as THAT AGAIN IS HIGH PRIORITY for all cheers

Vive l'SSM cheers
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

What is the most/least DIFFICULT? Empty Re: What is the most/least DIFFICULT?

Post  iCocker Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:02 pm

I think you can never generalise, it all depends what type of model [from the real thing] one is doing, a viking long boat cannot be compared with a Cutty Sark for example.

Doing a Stealth F117 bomber cannot be compared with an B17, doing a DORA railgun which is over 1.5m long in 1/35 cannot be compared with a simply designed T34, doing a Fokker Triplane cannot be compared with a DH2 etc etc ... there are models that can be built in a weekend, there are others that need a recommendation to your sanity after these are done ...

Also depends the brand that makes a model, on another term opening a pandora box done by Dragon for AFV will combat in parts a battleship in 1/350 done by Trumpeter, on the other hand Tamiya for example you can just put glue in the box, shake and the model is done being so simple ...

Then one has also to consider the aftermarket 'extras' which today are not anymore were military and civilian vehicles are the worst contenders in this section ... so personally I do not find one can compare anything, and lets face it the only models that stand out from the selection for construction surely are wooden sailing ships but personally I find those equivalent to doing a scratchbuilt not a plastic model ... that is my view!

Ivan
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:21 pm

iCocker wrote:I think you can never generalise, it all depends what type of model [from the real thing] one is doing, a viking long boat cannot be compared with a Cutty Sark for example.

Doing a Stealth F117 bomber cannot be compared with an B17, doing a DORA railgun which is over 1.5m long in 1/35 cannot be compared with a simply designed T34, doing a Fokker Triplane cannot be compared with a DH2 etc etc ... there are models that can be built in a weekend, there are others that need a recommendation to your sanity after these are done ...

Also depends the brand that makes a model, on another term opening a pandora box done by Dragon for AFV will combat in parts a battleship in 1/350 done by Trumpeter, on the other hand Tamiya for example you can just put glue in the box, shake and the model is done being so simple ...

Then one has also to consider the aftermarket 'extras' which today are not anymore were military and civilian vehicles are the worst contenders in this section ... so personally I do not find one can compare anything, and lets face it the only models that stand out from the selection for construction surely are wooden sailing ships but personally I find those equivalent to doing a scratchbuilt not a plastic model ... that is my view!

Ivan

Yes I agree Ivan, but I was speaking in GENERAL Laughing

That is, in general, the way you have to ALIGN wooden sailing ships, & wings, tailplanes, tail & undercarriage vis a vis a rounded fuselage is what makes construction the most difficult when compared to "straight lines & right angles" of the other less difficult geners again in my humble opinion pale
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:34 pm

in that I agree : )
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 pm

As you sad Ray ....VIVE LE DIFFERENCE...

and for once... Laughing I'm with you all the way ... Very Happy cheers
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 pm

iCocker wrote:in that I agree : )

AMEN cheers
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 am

well i think i have built almost everything that comes in a box, as ivan said, are all a different kettle of fish.i would still put wooden ships on top of the list. too many things can go wrong in the initial stage of construction that will come and haunt you like a vengeful ghost as you progress.re other models well aircraft kits have less parts but need very very careful assembly, afvs have loads more parts can be easy but can also be a nightmare take for example 240 single track links or the matilda or churchill running gear, ship models need a lot of fore thought, painting these, if construction is not pre planed could be a nightmare, figures on the otherhand are relatively easy to construct but very few people can finnish them in the way you figure guys do, and now for the models i have always dreaded and hated doing,civilian vehicles again here construction has to be done with extreme care and mistakes done will be clearly visible afterwards. this is my opinion, not that some of you may give a dried fig (fico secco) for.lol lol! lol!
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 am

iCocker wrote:I think you can never generalise, it all depends what type of model [from the real thing] one is doing, a viking long boat cannot be compared with a Cutty Sark for example.

Ivan

Yes I agree with Ivan...it depends what one is constructing...agree 100 per cent wooden ships top the list...Again...it all boils down what one's building like Ivan said..In my case ,I think there's a difference in building a destroyer to a 3 foot long aircraft carrier...decks which usually come in three sections have to be aligned to have a perfect fit to the hull which in my case have to be raftered to ensure that the hull doesn't warp when it's sawn off.....that's the ship's sit in my case Very Happy Very Happy .and it also depends how much one decides to put into a project....In my opinion every model albeit aircraft..Afv's ,figurines...ships cars they all have their own difficulties....again compare building a 1/72 scale straight forward spitfire to a a mammoth Dora rail gun...or a complex well detailed !/24 scale race bike...As already discussed do not agree Very Happy Very Happy ...In my opinion every model has it's own merits of construction...being whatever it is...well that's my two penny bit....most important guys whatever you're building ..enjoy it Smile
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Alex & Nannu, I posted this to provoke & instigate discussion & if no one else gives a dried fig I honestly do Twisted Evil

What I meant however was that speaking in GENERAL, the way you have to ALIGN wooden sailing ships, & wings, tailplanes, tail & undercarriage vis a vis a rounded fuselage is what makes construction the most difficult when compared to "straight lines & right angles" of the other less difficult, even if MORE COMPLEX geners, again in my humble opinion pale pale pale

A good interpretation would be if one had to hand out a BASIC kit of each (except a wooden ship obviously) to a beginner & gauge where/how it ends for each kit What a Face

Maybe we should try it with the next summer school Suspect

Anyway I honestly don't know why I started this thread/debate pale

It shows I'm STRESSED OUT I guess Sad Sad Sad

Back to the construction workshop for the FRENZY to continue cheers

Ok last one Laughing apart wooden sailing ships I still think that Biplanes & then Monoplanes are the MOST DIFFICULT to CONSTRUCT....JUST CONSTRUCT ONLY pale
    ALL the others (KIT FORM eh) you just STICK ON the parts either near each other or on top of each other in straight lines & or at right angles & or ON A FLAT SURFACE lol!

And before ANYONE DARES me Shocked I STAND UP FOR THE CHALLENGE Suspect cheers

I LUV YA ALL My Brothers I love you I love you I love you

iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:30 pm

Go and paint you are just fishing for more posts Laughing

I think you are lacking building kits ... you should start again to relax a bit!
    matilda
    matilda
    Highly Commended
    Highly Commended

Post  matilda Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:27 pm

ha, good discussion!!!
    most easy is to make any kind of aeroplane , during new year shot-down.

most complicated is to make marko to make any thing ,even if we hawe tons of references and models.

stevan
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 pm

matilda wrote:ha, good discussion!!!
    most easy is to make any kind of aeroplane , during new year shot-down.

most complicated is to make marko to make any thing ,even if we hawe tons of references and models.

stevan

be patient Stevan I'm working ...as soon as I have something I will upload... Laughing

Post  Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Most difficult build - Lego blocks maybe??? Suspect Twisted Evil Twisted Evil lol! lol!

Post  Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Joking apart, all classes have their headaches.
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

What is the most/least DIFFICULT? Empty Most difficult?

Post  Dottore Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:48 am

Lego technic and mecchano....like some of our esteemed colleagues in the 'other club' Twisted Evil

lol sorry couldnt resist lol

Dottore

in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Dottore wrote:Lego technic and mecchano....like some of our esteemed colleagues in the 'other club' Twisted Evil

lol sorry couldnt resist lol

Dottore

Tajba dott lol! lol! lol!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content