SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Joseph
iCocker
RayCaruana
alexbb
bcauchi
Noel Petroni
Ray
Dottore
12 posters

Criticizing the critics corner

Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Criticizing the critics corner Empty Criticizing the critics corner

Post  Dottore Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:39 am

I dont like the critic corner for various reasons....

1 If i have constructive criticism I always point it out in any forum anyway

2. what shall we do now start posting in duplicate so people will critic here and say awesome in the AFV forum for example? Just doesnt make sense...we are all grownuops and if you think an AFv or plane is awesome say it...and if u dont like it say it...or criticize accordingly....

Just my opinion

Dottore
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Criticizing the critics corner Empty Re: Criticizing the critics corner

Post  Ray Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:33 am

Dottore wrote:I dont like the critic corner for various reasons....

1 If i have constructive criticism I always point it out in any forum anyway

2. what shall we do now start posting in duplicate so people will critic here and say awesome in the AFV forum for example? Just doesnt make sense...we are all grownuops and if you think an AFv or plane is awesome say it...and if u dont like it say it...or criticize accordingly....

Just my opinion

Dottore

I agree with you 101% on this one cheers and have not commented before because I didn't want to sound like a fart No

As you said if/when I wanted to constructively crisize i did it and would still do on any forum for that matter Cool

Either or, it would still be judging on a digital image and if the image might be AS BAD as mine, then everyone should condemned to death by hanging pirat

Ray affraid
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:49 am

Good point Doc. .............. I mean your syringe looks like it has a good shiny point! Laughing

Now for what you said. Good point!

To criticize a model of a friend is no easy task. There are many lenses to view an object and one lens might not be suitable for one and suitable for another. That is why we say to make constructive critic......meaning that the critic has to state a reason and an alternative to his critic. But this does not always work.

Can someone lay out some code of critic that we can follow. Rules of etiquette on how to criticize.

Regards
    Noel
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:34 am

You are so right as regards models but this might also be used to criticise other points about the club or other non model related matters. Any criticism levelled out at the models should be included in the relevant thread.
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:35 am

i tend to disagree
    first of all nobody is forcing anybody to post in this section and when someone does post he is or should be fully aware of what he is going into.this way people even non ssm members who usually do not comment negatively or criticise for fear of irritating the modeller have a chance to show what that realy think.afterall we are not young kids anymore and should be mature enough to accept and evaluate criticism.

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:39 am

I agree with you Alex but if a particular job is being criticised, i feel that the criticsim should accompany the same thread. It does not make sense to criticise a particular model in a different thread in a different section.
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 am

bcauchi wrote:I agree with you Alex but if a particular job is being criticised, i feel that the criticsim should accompany the same thread. It does not make sense to criticise a particular model in a different thread in a different section.

JUST ONE QUESTION BRIAN
    WHERE WHERE THE VALID COMMENTS ON THE BASE IN THE AFV THREAD?
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Post  RayCaruana Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:01 am

alex wrote:
    bcauchi wrote:I agree with you Alex but if a particular job is being criticised, i feel that the criticsim should accompany the same thread. It does not make sense to criticise a particular model in a different thread in a different section.

JUST ONE QUESTION BRIAN
    WHERE WHERE THE VALID COMMENTS ON THE BASE IN THE AFV THREAD?

Alex I think you hit the nail on the head, both in this post and the one before.
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Criticizing the critics corner Empty Maybe....

Post  Dottore Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:29 am

The same effect would have been obtained by pointing out that whoever posted in the relevant galleries should be open to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism...without the need to oen a thread as Critic forum per se.
    Its just my opinion as I said but if I had to point out something to help imrove the model of a friend SSM brother I would certainly do it. Whether or not it is taken well or not is up to the modeller.

I have never seen a specific critic corner in any other modelling post. Everyone passes comments good or less good or criticizes in the respective fora....

Dottore
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Criticizing the critics corner Empty Alex's model...

Post  Dottore Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:32 am

As regards ALex's model I honestly didnt find anything to criticize now or then, The terrain point is valid but I did not notice it...mostly cos I focus on AFV I dont do terrain myself...

Dottore
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:41 am

Dottore wrote:As regards ALex's model I honestly didnt find anything to criticize now or then, The terrain point is valid but I did not notice it...mostly cos I focus on AFV I dont do terrain myself...

Dottore

ONCE AGAIN THIS PROVES MY POINT

now that the subject of the base has been brought up YOU TOOK NOTICE of something which you did not notice on the afv thread.this will serve you once you decide to start doing bases.
    and once again i say nobody will or is forcing him, her or it to post in this section and anyone who does must accept comments or else ignore this thread completetly
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Post  RayCaruana Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:43 am

Excuse me for writing this one in Maltese...Ara x'mort nivvinta jien ukoll!!!(Translation: OMG look what I've done!!) Sad Sad Sad Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy And I thought I made a GREAT suggestion!! Idea scratch lol! lol! lol!
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Post  RayCaruana Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 am

alex wrote:
    Dottore wrote:As regards ALex's model I honestly didnt find anything to criticize now or then, The terrain point is valid but I did not notice it...mostly cos I focus on AFV I dont do terrain myself...

Dottore

now that the subject of the base has been brought up YOU TOOK NOTICE of something which you did not notice on the afv thread.this will serve you once you decide to start doing bases.
    and once again i say nobody will or is forcing him, her or it to post in this section and anyone who does must accept comments or else ignore this thread completetly

Alex you keep hitting the nail Smile Smile Smile
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 am

RayCaruana wrote:
    alex wrote:

Dottore

Alex you keep hitting the nail Smile Smile Smile

sorry for the maltese but

l ahhar wahda il martel ma ghamilx hoss id daqqa hadta fuq subeigh

: lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:48 am

Crisism is like an opinion, might Tancred elaborate hwo this statement shall end Very Happy

Personally I think this section should close, we are man not boys, in each sbs and gallery offer on the forum you are alreday exposing the model for such matter. For me the usual awesome and jaw droppers, I reserve them when I have to say them, and when I feel i need to point my opinion I feel here we are all brave souls and we can discuss the issue raised ... we are not pointing to dislike someone works but a way to discuss and improve.

If this forum shall end like many others afraid to say somthing when it should be pointed out and keep just with the usual WOW and let him or me drwn in that few minutes 'glory' I think it would start the final countdown to the usual stereotype forum. It is true no one likes to here critisism but we are sharing apart we should point out the good and what we are seeing 'wrong' which might not be the evryones eyes, finally that is called sharing ...

Ivan
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Post  RayCaruana Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:14 pm

TANCRED, please remove it pleassssssseeeee Sad Sad!!!!

Now seriously, and this will be my last post in this section, honest. I think we're making mountains out of mole hills now. I suggested this not because we are boys and not men (or for any other reason whatsoever), we all know that we are mature men, as otherwise we haven't reached the standard we reached (thanks to the constructive critism we receive on wednesdays and now in this forum). I told you in Catania why I joined this society in the first place and not another (the "An officer and a gentlemen" thing..remember?). I only suggested it for the reasons stated in my first post and those aired by Alex that's all.
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Criticizing the critics corner Empty Relax Ray!

Post  Dottore Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:55 pm

This is not a fight or quabble...we are expressing opinions....

Alex...you missed my point....completely...
    I meant to say...Noel could very well have made the observation of the base in the AFV section! What was the problem with that? Brian pointed out he thought my base was too light for my last Sherman...and it didnt have to be in a critic corner...so ask Noel why he left that good point for the critic corner and not posted it in the AFV section where it was legitimate...
    Ray C...I agree with your observation that sometimes we are too preoccupied with boosting other people's/mates egos with awesome, great, wonderful etc but I think a forum for criticism ONLY is a bit overkill...just stress the point that anyone can be criticized constructively without the need to get offended in any way.
    I echo Mr President's opinion perfectly...All those who post in the AFV forum are subject to the usual awesome great etc or constructive criticism as well...

I think its the best way to go around modelling fora but if you guys feel we need this Critic forum its noit a big deal either...I'll just say I welcome any critic in ANY forum I post in...

Dottore
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Post  RayCaruana Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm always relaxed Dottore Cool Cool Very Happy Very Happy, Ask RayF!!Smile))... mela jien ma nafx li we are expressing opinions jew!!!! Alla hares somebody takes something like this as a fight or quabble, ghax hemm inkunu boys zgur!!

You made me break my vow of silence zgur...dak li naf... Evil or Very Mad

Insomma, I hope to see you wednesday. I will bring another finished Teutonic Knight with me for some...CONSTUCTIVE CRITISM fom you all, my brother SSM Knights...Aqalawli eh lol! lol! lol!

Last edited by RayCaruana on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : because I deleted the words "Hekk Himm", uff xi dwejjaq trid taghti raguni lill-Tancred ghall-kollox:-()
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:25 pm

CLOSE THIS THREAD lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Ray affraid
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Looks to be our first fiasco! Ara hallejtkhom 4 days u amiltu rebus! affraid

Ray C your point is valid and I agree about critisism, I personally think that critisism in our treads should be incuded in the section related with the model, at least one can follow up the discussion.

Noel, there is no RULE or attic how the critisise or discuss a model IMO, just be constructive in what you say and why you point out that issue. On the other hand one tend to point out the bad but once in a lecture related to work a tutor pointed out that if you are to point a bad decision or issue [which is easier] try to come up with five good other reasons on the same subject beside that issue ... so your point will not look negative ...

So thread is closed but OPEN in all the other modelling threads ...

Iv
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:48 pm

CLOSE THIS THREAD lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Ray affraid
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Post  RayCaruana Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Crying or Very sad Heqq m'hemmx x'taghmel mela hux Embarassed (nothing one can do now) Embarassed Sad ...but at least I raised my ranking to HC Now cheers cheers
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:31 pm

RayCaruana wrote:Crying or Very sad Heqq m'hemmx x'taghmel mela hux Embarassed (nothing one can do now) Embarassed Sad ...but at least I raised my ranking to HC Now cheers cheers

Ray, HONESTLY I do not see the point behind this thread with ALL DUE RESPECT to you again you know me and I do not chew much before I spit, or rather if I do not mean it I won't say it so I'm sure you know ni'm speaking my heart out I love you

Doc Roe and Ivan raised the most VALID issues IMHO....feasable and tangible!!!

Noel on the other hand, again IMHO raised the most mediocre issue, with his usual call for rules of what and how we should critisize this or that, to what extent and to what degree Sad (Noel I LOVE YOU STILL & TILL ETERNITY JUST THE SAME)

SSM is what it is........A TRUE & RARE BREED OF A BAND OF BROTHERS, and we all know from what & from where this is bred.......from CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISM SO THAT EVERYONE (THOSE WHO WANTED/WANT TO TAKE HEED & LISTEN) ON AND OFF THE FORUM KEEP MOVING ON AND NEVER REACH A SATURATION POINT.

THE ONLY SECRET TO ALL THIS IS THAT WE HAVE NO SECRETS BETWEEN US vis a vis SCALE MODELLING!!!!

VIVA L'SSM cheers

GOD WILL IT cheers

Ray affraid
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:17 pm

And who said that we are not children!! infact this proves that we are un-born babies with the narrowest foresight ever imaginable Smile

We are all misinterpreting the idea behind this Thread and not seeing this in a holistic manner and before this is closed please allow me to make some observations.

This forum is not our weekly club meeting, and if we are to continue in this manner we are going to kll this forum or end up with just a few members posting their work. Yes I will critisise the work of a fellow SSM member because he knows my feelings towards his work but I (and this goes for the other 99% of members) will never critisise the work of a member that I have never met.

I think there is a lot of material in this forum that needs some/a lot critisism but how much of this is (critisisim) is posted.

The intention, I think, of Ray (I have not spoken with Ray) for creating this thread was to have a corner for members to post a photo or two of their progress and these know that it would receive some/a lot of constructive critisisim and those who post their views, opinion or advice will know that this will be accepted and taken note so one will further improve his abilities.

With this thread our forum will have more flexibility, after all the 'posts hunters' will have another thread where to increase their tally Twisted Evil Twisted Evil.

I would like the non SSM members to post their views regarding this thread.

Tankred before we close this thread I suggest a poll, for those in favour or against, so we will do this in a democratic manner.

J
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Joseph, personally I am not against any critisism posts but WHY on a different thread then in the same article of the model?

Might this section be reserved for critisisng ideas or styles of painting, weathering, new models coming up but more ingeneral etc, etc ... but critising on a model that is in a gallery or a certain sbs in a different thread I do not see any good use, I think will distruct the attention of the subject apart it can create more traffic jam on the forum from one thread to the other.

Might the tread diversify but that can be the result of discussions, it is like the thread of Joint Dioramas, it diversified from the first article but the amount of material and discussions in it I think till date is the best thread so far ... IMO

Finally I agree might we here other views or a poll ...

Iv

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 pm