SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Wayne
Noel Petroni
antonio argudo
Tancred
skyhigh
bcauchi
Jerzy Ciupek
Cyril.
alexbb
Ray
iCocker
Alex Kontiveis
16 posters

A Whitley story...

Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Empty Re: A Whitley story...

Post  Alex Kontiveis Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:32 am

Tankred, Marco, Ray, Ivan, Brian, David, ascomt,

You are welcome, all of you!! Thank you. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Pity you live far away from us

Oh, Yes... My heart was broken, by the time air malta's plane was taking off!!!
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 am

I owe U the final chapters of that story.

I can show you some of the process behind the scenes ... In case you decide to make something from absolutely nothing; everything must start from a base to work on.
    So, everything starts with the "bricks" . Balsa wood, fillers, the always required Milliput, plans, 100ria sandpaper, and sanding, sanding, and again sanding! Endless scrubbing, corrections, modifications, endless, endless ... resets....
    The wing of the Whitley is characterized by a "dihedral breaking" in the middle of its surface. Therefore had to be formed by 2 parts ... The main part where the engine nacelles will placed on and the secondary part of the exterior wing .
    We started by making the basic brick. Additions and some miliput, filler, putty, for the wingtips we built the wings ...

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00283hi

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00284j

Going further, we have started making the nacelles and undercarriage gondola. Lots of plastic sheet, stripes, and putty, and some parts of Sanger’s nacelles Vacuum, we made the accurate shape of engine’s gondola.

Taking a piece of Balsa wood, we gave the final shape of the nacelle according to the correct dimensions. Miliput was applied on and formed the body.. Much work to do while waiting to dry. Pantograph and Dremmel tools will make the curves and shapes...

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00295ag

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00297nu

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00285vw

To tell you the truth I was a little bored in making a second copy. I intend to present the other engine compartment and undercarriage totally stripped.
    After scrubbing the boat and Priming, the gondola was perfectly curved in its correct shape.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00313no

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00316fe

After allowing 2 days and nights of the brick (balsa wood dressed with miliput) to dry quite well, I used Dremmel tools again to start giving the shape. Lots of sanding!!!!

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00317p

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00318e

No time to waist, We glued it on the undercarriage gondola, in order to make all the final touches by working on a compact piece.
    A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00319l

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00320p

We let it dry and we have started making the ailerons. 2 pieces of plastic only… sanded and formed to fit on the wings.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00321mh

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00322cn

Merlin has acquired a new home already..!

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00323z

Next step the final result.
    So, after reinforcing by workbench with this "baby", and after burning 3 of my the fingertips of my right hand ... the dressmaker began to wear the costume.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00017tof.th

Here I will say that I used to work with a stove and a lighter, but never had to "melt" the aluminum sheet in such curves ... The bad point was that everything on my piece was curved. I confess that I haven’t found the "easy and safe" solution yet...
    At this point; there was no need to wrap the nacelle with aluminum. The whole piece was perfectly built. I could make a resin copy.
    Anyway, this is the final result.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00005zf.thA Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00009fo.thA Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00011ty.th

Here we can see the beginning (Zero point) and the End. How a simple trimmed piece of balsa, with the appropriate work, can be transformed to a something good.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Samplebe

The starboard engine nacelle is attached on the new correct wing. Primered and sanded and checked for any defects. On the port wing, I will not place a combact engine nacelle like the one on the starboard wing. I will show all undercariage and power plat totally stripped.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00002rn

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00426ba

I made the flaps and their details. Not an easy job folks…as far as you can see.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00009sm

I joined the new scratbuild wings on the fuselage and the model is waiting for its primers.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00424tu

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00422ci

Next step concerns the undercarriage system and wheels. Unfortunately Sanger, provides a bad copy of them, not accurate. I had to build a new set from brass tubes and plastic card.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00414gz

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00417xk

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00418g

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00420a

Whitley’s wheels were a serious problem. I hardly managed to find smooth resin tyres with correct dimensions. I finally did. I bought Griffon’s Smooth tyres for Wellington in 1/48 (the last available piece in stock). Then I made the rims with brass and steel rings, in purpose to achieve a nice simulation of the real ones according to my data.

I was ready to proceed with the making of the engine. However, I realized that something went wrong ... I decided to create a Jig, so I can adjust the final weighing of construction, undercarriage, wheel wells, and engine. Then... a tragic mistake appeared front of me.

Although during the construction progress all my measurements concerning the undercarriage on the wings were correct ... when I fitted both wings on the fuselage and checked the final positions (again)... I noticed that the undercarriage mounting had a deviation of 2.5 mm from the correct position. And not only that ... I fell victim to the plans and should have built the wing’s beam 7 mm towards to the rear.
    Not a second thought ...

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00422oy

Pictures speak by themselves!! I re-built the wing’s section, this time according to the correct plans.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Bye

Next follows the wheel well’s structure, firewall, and engine beam, Made by using metal tubes, evergreen strips, and brass sheet. The Oil tank was made by Balsa wood. The compartment adjusted exactly on the new wing beam. The Jig helps a lot and I achieved the correct balanced for both of the engines. It looks easy but its NOT. I spent many hours to calculate the correct angles in purpose to achieve the accurate positions.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00435ef

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00437w

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00438fw

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00439dc

One more step will follow soon, concerning the merlin. Then painting job is about to begin.

Here you can see the corrected wing, and undercarriage structure and mounting.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00440m

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00441rw

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00442uo

Next follows the power plant's structure, where I’ m going to attach the engine body and all the other components…

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00643qd

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00645ry

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00646ly

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00647ib

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00650au

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Dsc00651j

Tomorrow I will post the finished model.

Alex
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:10 pm

What a genius you are Alex. And you say that my modeling is good!! That is a joke, i can never do what you do in your models. Looking forward to seeing the completed model. Well done, absolutely marvelous. Are you still covering your work with aluminium sheeting?
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:46 pm

bcauchi wrote:What a genius you are Alex. And you say that my modeling is good!!  That is a joke, i can never do what you do in your models.  Looking forward to seeing the completed model.  Well done, absolutely marvelous.  Are you still covering your work with aluminium sheeting?

Idea Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes You simply amaze... Alex what Modeling...affraid 
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:54 am

SPEECHLESS affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid 
    my habib......awesome work Alex...you are a grandmaster...no doubt about it !!!!!
    in nannu Cool 
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:09 am

Hi guys from Malta.

First of all thank you for your kind comments but I think you exaggerate a bit.Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed 

Anyway, Here R the final pics, of this endless story. It wasn't an easy model for me. Actually i'm not going to work on a Vac model again. Lots of problems. I tried for the best.

Hope U like it.

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Ecoi

A Whitley story... - Page 3 K2hv

A Whitley story... - Page 3 0a5d

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Ljou

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Lfde

A Whitley story... - Page 3 7al3

A Whitley story... - Page 3 G21b

A Whitley story... - Page 3 3nfm

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Lo1w

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Ftr9

A Whitley story... - Page 3 5lrz

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Vq74

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Xgso

A Whitley story... - Page 3 1cae

A Whitley story... - Page 3 Q0co

A Whitley story... - Page 3 5coj

ENDE................Sleep
    David
    David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:09 am

oooooh!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Wow Alex, what a beauty. It is screaming out to have a figure or two near it. Brilliant paintwork.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:17 pm

With ALL honesty, you put us ALL in the Stamp Collection Department cheers
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:09 pm

.........SUPERB........
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:47 am

Thank U, all of U.

The fact is that I'm not going to dare something similar ever again... Painful experience!!!

Brian...I'm not good in painting figures. I'm afraid that all my efforts on that part, look like a Circus Clown!!! Laughing 
    Jerzy Ciupek
    Jerzy Ciupek
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Jerzy Ciupek Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:11 pm

excellent model! I'm glad that I could get to know him before.
    Best regards from Poland Alex.

Post  Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:11 pm

Wow, now that is some piece of work!! Excellent masterpiece Alex!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:48 am