SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Airbrush Cleaner

philipm1967

Airbrush Cleaner Empty Airbrush Cleaner

Post  philipm1967 Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:24 pm

Hello guys

Reluctantly I have to take the plunge into the world of acrylic paint. I ordered several jars of Tamiya acrylic paint from ebay. So far thanks to several posts in this forum I ‘solved’ the issue of mixing the acrylic paint with a proper medium.

Could someone please shed some light with what I am going to clean my airbrushes after spraying acrylic paint. Hopefully some proper medium that can be obtained locally.

Another query is what is the ideal psi pressure to apply acrylic paint. I mainly build 1/72 scale WW2 aircraft.

Thanks

Philip
    ascomt
    ascomt
    Bronze
    Bronze

Airbrush Cleaner Empty Re: Airbrush Cleaner

Post  ascomt Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi Phil

Well you could use Vallejo or Medea airbrush cleaners.

I have used both and probably would go for Vallejo. You can buy locally or on ebay.

Best wishes
    Alex
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:29 am

What Alex suggested is very good and I would advice you do that to get a totally cleanup especially when you need to clean after acrylics ... when working with acrylics I prefer to mix with Tamiya Lacquer or Gunzo equivalent, when I need to clean between mixes I use Iso Prop alcahol and when I finish I use carb cleaners [the same you use for your car] ... [just take away the rubber and you can flush with curb cleaner ...

PS. Tamiya is not properly acrylic, they are ideal to mix with alcahol or thinners. Proper acrylics are Life Colour, Valleya Air, Andrea, Series 75, Ammo, Mig etc etc

Ivan
    Magal
    Magal
    Commended
    Commended

Post  Magal Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:29 pm

As already posted on a different thread, I have been experimenting various thinning mediums for use with Tamiya acrylics and by far the best results [and cheapest] were obtained with Beta D807 which I bought from a hardware store close by. This same thinner can be used for cleaning and again it performs very well in this respect. However care must be taken not to mix it with water based paints as it turns them into a very sticky paste.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 pm