SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Dottore
alexbb
6 posters

Introduction to myself.

Introduction to myself. Empty Introduction to myself.

Post  Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:49 pm

Hello all.

I'm Pierre Sacco from your sister club in Gozo. I have started building kits again after a lull and joined the Gozo club, but in the meantime I've collected a considerable number of unbuilt kits, which hopefully will get assembled in one lifetime!! I'm mostly interested in AFV's, especially Axis WW2, but in my younger days, I used to build aircraft, and I'm still somewhat attached to aviation, again WW2.

Happy to be part of this family, and hopefully I will get rolling kits, good kits at that, and thrive how best I can to reach a better standard. Alas, I wish I had more time to dedicate to this great hobby.

Regards & happy modelling

Pierre.
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Introduction to myself. Empty Re: Introduction to myself.

Post  alexbb Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:05 pm

wishfull thinking. i think i need three or four lifetimes to finish all kits in my hoard, i guess its the same problem with all modellers we buy more than we can build
    anyway welcome aboard
    AND NOW THAT THE NICEITES OVER

START POSTING SOME OF YOUR WORK

lol! lol! lol!
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Introduction to myself. Empty Ditto....

Post  Dottore Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:07 am

Echoing my more experienced cousin's words Alex....word by word...

Dottore

Post  Guest Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:37 pm

Smile I'll see to it that I start posting some work in the very near future.
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:21 pm

Welcome aboard Pierre.

Tancred afro
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:33 am

Welcome Pierre, i am sure that you will have a good time here and that you will find all the help you need here. the more you post and ask the more help you will get so get going my friend and let's see some of your work.

Post  Guest Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:52 pm

Tnx mates!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Welcome onboard Pierre and as the others told you before me, everyone would be keen to see a LOT of work posted do we'll keep this forum's furnace nice and burning Twisted Evil

Ray affraid

Post  Guest Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 pm

I'm working on the Zvezda SU-100 right now. hopefully will post some results soon. Quite a lot of flash, seam lines and plugs to remove. Fitting of upper and lower hull is not that good.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Seems you guys just love AFV up there!

Good Pierre, the Zvezda is not a total disastor, was the only game in town for some time but now we have a Dragon version which is better BUT to update the Zvezda what you really need is a set of PE to arrange the engine screen [Eduard make ZOOM sets for T34/85 which is the same, you just have teh engine screens but you need to do the louverse below, not a big deal] and maybe a new burrel. The gunmantlet cn help with some rough casting effects. The worst part of the Zvezda kit are the tracks, get rid of and use a Dragon or Mirage set [late version]. What scheme are you planning russian ?

Ivan
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:32 pm

Does anyone build aircraft? It seems that from the most common models, they are slowly becoming rare. Many plane modellers have either stopped or turned to other things. A pity, we need some more aircraft guys. At least include them in small dioramas and include vehicles and figures with them.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Brian the time of the dinosaurs is over, and let the dark side rule the world of modelling affraid
    ... tanks role on caterpillars might in some time they metemorphose into butterflies and fly again
    lol!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:28 pm

bcauchi wrote:Does anyone build aircraft? It seems that from the most common models, they are slowly becoming rare. Many plane modellers have either stopped or turned to other things. A pity, we need some more aircraft guys. At least include them in small dioramas and include vehicles and figures with them.

Brian naf li ha naqla POLEMIKA pero here it goes.............

Bir-rispett kollu u bla rispett ukoll rest ASSURED that AIRCRAFT are the MOST DIFFICULT to construct from ALL the modelling categories jghidu x'jghidu kullhadd pale so MANY modellers just don't have the BALLS to construct an aircraft apart that many modellers DO LOVE AFV's Sad

Pierre I'm not refering to you ta, it's that my venerable president What a Face just HATES aircraft and when I see him jumping so joyfully on Brian's tormented lament without any remorse I just can't sit here without throwing a helping hand to poor Brian cheers

Ray affraid
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Ray wrote:
    bcauchi wrote:Does anyone build aircraft? It seems that from the most common models, they are slowly becoming rare. Many plane modellers have either stopped or turned to other things. A pity, we need some more aircraft guys. At least include them in small dioramas and include vehicles and figures with them.

Brian naf li ha naqla POLEMIKA pero here it goes.............

Bir-rispett kollu u bla rispett ukoll rest ASSURED that AIRCRAFT are the MOST DIFFICULT to construct from ALL the modelling categories jghidu x'jghidu kullhadd pale so MANY modellers just don't have the BALLS to construct an aircraft apart that many modellers DO LOVE AFV's Sad

Pierre I'm not refering to you ta, it's that my venerable president What a Face just HATES aircraft and when I see him jumping so joyfully on Brian's tormented lament without any remorse I just can't sit here without throwing a helping hand to poor Brian cheers

Ray affraid

aw ser ikolli naqbez jien
    in the past this might and certainly was the case but todays afv models are so complex and detailed that even just the cleaning of the seam lines takes ages long gone are the days when an afv model could be assembled in 24hours certain kits like dragon have over 800 parts, imagine just cleaning them up the time it takes. i think i know what im saying since most of you know that i did build aircraft (amonst other things) in the past. having said this however aircraft models are unforgiving, one mistake and thats it, you can throw the model away
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:37 pm

[having said this however aircraft models are unforgiving, one mistake and thats it, you can throw the model away]

Haha that is ALL I wanted to hear cheers

Alex, IMHO, whatever is produced nowadays in respect of AFV's (and I do know that it made GIANT STRIDES re construction) the MAIN DIFFIDULTY of aligning wings and tailplanes and wheels to fuselage is second to none.........maybe we've hijacked this thread (all Ivan's fault eh lol! ) so it may be appropriate to open another thread drunken

Ray affraid

Post  Guest Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:16 pm

I will just build a Soviet version of the SU-100. I was thinking of an Egyptian version of the Suez Crisis era, but settled on the Soviet version, which I think would be more interesting. At the moment I have no intention of souping up the kit with after market additions, but future projects may have refining. As Alex said, kits, like the Dragon sort, have become so refined, that in my opinion would be superb straight out of the box.

As for Brian, don't worry about what the majority might say. Aircraft kits are great, and in fact I have a 1/48 Sea Gladiator, two CR42's, and two Bf109F's waiting for their turn. But at a point in time, one must settle on a sector, and in my case, decided on AFV's. Wink
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Ray

Ha niftah libell il-qorti ghal malafama lol! lol!

I assure you I do not HATE planes, I love them and started the hobby building them, I still love to buy the odd WW1 subject and aces books, and in the near future I intend to built an aircraft for a dio with the venerable MIG21.

I have to concur with Alex, due to marketing and new slide moulding AFVs are ruling the market for the time being regarding technology and standard of production, the odd word that used to be said 'that on an AFV you can hide any sin that is a false issue'. Considering that lately AFV are the bench mark for any kind of weathering and detailing I think many aircraft nuts are not paying enough attention of the style of work and technics are being used. If it wasn't for AFV and DML nowadays there are no multimedia ready kits OFB. I can assure you that trying to make a caterpillar working condition and having a running gear split to each nut and bolt or having a whole model having more PE then plastic is as complex to make it look real as setting the wingspan of an aircaft.

Personally there is no model and section more difficult then other all are complex or simple as much as a modeller wish to be. What I do not like to go on forums were I find like a thread - I hate Flying things or I hate AFv etc etc, that is stupid as each section is learning from one another. Hence the new painting style on AFV it derives from the zenithal light that comes from the figurine world. silent

Last edited by iCocker on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:05 pm

Pierre

The Zvezda kit is for a WW2 version, the postwar ones used by Syria and Egypt are Czech versions and need some upgrading, but not difficult either, if you want references for these I can provide as post war Middle east AFV are my forte ...

Ivan
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:18 pm

iCocker wrote:Ray

Ha niftah libell il-qorti ghal malafama lol! lol!

I assure you I do not HATE planes, I love them and started the hobby building them, I still love to buy the odd WW1 subject and aces books, and in the near future I intend to built an aircraft for a dio with the venerable MIG21.

I have to concur with Alex, due to marketing and new slide moulding AFVs are ruling the market for the time being regarding technology and standard of production, the odd word that used to be said 'that on an AFV you can hide any sin that is a false issue'. Considering that lately AFV are the bench mark for any kind of weathering and detailing I think many aircraft nuts are not paying enough attention of the style of work and technics are being used. If it wasn't for AFV and DML nowadays there are no multimedia ready kits OFB. I can assure you that trying to make a caterpillar working condition and having a running gear split to each nut and bolt or having a whole model having more PE then plastic is as complex to make it look real as setting the wingspan of an aircaft.

Personally there is no model and section more difficult then other all are complex or simple as much as a modeller wish to be. What I do not like to go on forums were I find like a thread - I hate Flying things or I hate AFv etc etc, that is stupid as each section is learning from one another. Hence the new painting style on AFV it derives from the zenithal light that comes from the figurine world. silent

Ivan AGREED 50/50 lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Ray affraid
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:33 pm

mela ha nirtira il-libell!!!!!!!!!

But joking apart my opinion about why many have followed the dark side instead of aircraft is due to many strict rules and strict painting schemes many mad man abroad have created for plane building. We have to say that SSM was the school that introduced weathering to aircraft at IPMS UK many decades ago when it was a mortal sin ... on the other hand the latest AFV models might be more complex in building process but there is a fun element of weathering and painting and though it is strict in technique ... it is artistic, that might be the difference IMO.

So if this element is introduced in plane building surely many will follow again and will have the come back of the DINOS lol!

Post  Guest Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:22 pm

iCocker wrote:Pierre

The Zvezda kit is for a WW2 version, the postwar ones used by Syria and Egypt are Czech versions and need some upgrading, but not difficult either, if you want references for these I can provide as post war Middle east AFV are my forte ...

Ivan

Yep I had an idea about them being Czech production, but I don't have enough reference as to what the actual outwardly differences might have been. Anyway, any reference is more than welcome, although as I said, I will stick to a Soviet WW2 version.

Thanks a lot.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:45 am

iCocker wrote:mela ha nirtira il-libell!!!!!!!!!

But joking apart my opinion about why many have followed the dark side instead of aircraft is due to many strict rules and strict painting schemes many mad man abroad have created for plane building. We have to say that SSM was the school that introduced weathering to aircraft at IPMS UK many decades ago when it was a mortal sin ... on the other hand the latest AFV models might be more complex in building process but there is a fun element of weathering and painting and though it is strict in technique ... it is artistic, that might be the difference IMO.

So if this element is introduced in plane building surely many will follow again and will have the come back of the DINOS lol!

NOW YOU'RE TALKING cheers

Ivan AGREED 100% lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Ray affraid

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:45 pm