SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
iCocker
Joseph
Ray
skyhigh
Alex Kontiveis
alexbb
Cyril.
11 posters

Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI RS625 NE-D

Cyril.
    Cyril.
    Bronze
    Bronze

Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Empty Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI RS625 NE-D

Post  Cyril. Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi Guys,

I am sending some photos of my present build in 1/32 scale. As you can see from the photos there is a lot of scratch building.
    These include, complete cockpit, cannopy, exposed engines one also showing the connections to the radiator and oil cooler adjcent, and bombay including four 20mm cannon and a 500lb bomb. The finished model will also have double tiered rocket rails along side to the 100gall drop tanks.
    Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Pict0019
    Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Pict0020
    Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Pict0021
    Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Pict0022
    Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Pict0023
    Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Pict0614

Cyril.
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Empty Re: Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI RS625 NE-D

Post  alexbb Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:36 pm

BEAUTIFUL DETAIL WORK
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Empty Re: Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI RS625 NE-D

Post  Alex Kontiveis Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:49 pm

ΗI Cyril,(Worley????)
    Very good indeed!!! Is it finished?

Alex
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Hey Hey Hey Cyril ...its coming great I love the detail especially the Bombay , hope you finish for the next expo...........May be this will help you for the weathering its the same aircraft you're building.. cheersWork in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Untitl10
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:35 pm

Please note ... be careful for the panel lines because most of the airframe was wood....Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Dh_mos10Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Dh_mos11Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Dh_mos12Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Dh_mos13Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Mosq10
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:41 pm

Looking really good Cyril keep at it mate Twisted Evil

Ray affraid
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:28 am

Great work, nice detail and paintwork.

J
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:36 am

Beautiful work Cyril!

Marco that is one photo I love to see,, heavy weathered aircraft, that is a really awesome look and would love to see it replicated, ejja Cyril get those pigments and have a go! Would love to see a plane in a mud field!!!!

Just for curiosity, so this plane was composed almost entirely of wood, so any damages in combat how was it patched? Did they rework the wood or fill any holes damages etc?

Ivan

Post  Guest Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:16 am

iCocker wrote:Beautiful work Cyril!

Marco that is one photo I love to see,, heavy weathered aircraft, that is a really awesome look and would love to see it replicated, ejja Cyril get those pigments and have a go! Would love to see a plane in a mud field!!!!

Just for curiosity, so this plane was composed almost entirely of wood, so any damages in combat how was it patched? Did they rework the wood or fill any holes damages etc?

Ivan

Sometimes it was just cut the damaged part and glue on replacement, obviuosly depending were the damage was. The fact that most of the airframe was in wood was also an advantage in assembly cause it could employ carpenters and such, which could not be used in the other aircraft manufacturing plants. One has to be very careful were to apply paint chipping as the metal parts were very few. The only problem the mosquito had about the wooden airframe is when it was deployed to SE asia were the humidty had an adverse effect on the wooden airframe.

Cyril, the model is coming along good, very nice detail, keep posting. Will it be ready for the next expo?
    Cyril.
    Cyril.
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Cyril. Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:07 pm

Thank you for your positive comments, Very Happy

Yes, I am trying to get it ready in time for the next Expo.
    Still a long way to go especially with the weathering.
    Thank you Marco for the detailed photos, I will try to replicate the heavy weathering in the first photo.

Glad Very Happy you like it.
    Cyril.
    Cyril.
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Cyril. Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:13 pm

Alex Kontiveis wrote:ΗI Cyril,(Worley????)
    Very good indeed!!! Is it finished?

Alex

Hello Alex, Very Happy

Yes it is me, Thank you for your comments.

I must have it ready for the next Expo. (I am a slow builder) Sad

Cyril.
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Hey Cyril, great to see your work on the forum, wow man, that is one nice piece. I love the engine details and the pipework in the wing structure. It is brilliant, and the bomb bay is way out.
    Cyril.
    Cyril.
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Cyril. Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:33 pm

bcauchi wrote:Hey Cyril, great to see your work on the forum, wow man, that is one nice piece. I love the engine details and the pipework in the wing structure. It is brilliant, and the bomb bay is way out.

Thanks Brian,

Now the hard bit will be the weathering. affraid
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:37 pm

That's where the fun starts. Don;t forget that most of it is not aluminium so don;t make any chippings with the metal showing through in the normal places. It is really coming along beautifully, you are doing a magnificent job.
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Cyril don't be afraid with the weathering we have a lot of prof member's here to help you ... cheers
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:59 pm

Cyril, regarding chipping do not forget one thing as many are saying check what is metal and what is wood BUT paint on wood chip as well, what needs to be is that the underside shall be undercoat [if used] and wood ... wood can have a distinctive mark in weathering, have a look at some wooden aircraft and jets available at the Aviation Museum ...

Ivan
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi Cyril I think by now you know me well, how much I admire authenticity , so I'm here always to help as long as it is modeling and especially aircraft models.

Look good at this model it gives you good idea for the wooden structure , enjoy..Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Dsc_2214Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Dsc_2215Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Dsc_2310Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Dsc_2311Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Dsc_2312Work in progress..........DH98 Mosquito FB Mk VI  RS625 NE-D Dsc_2313
    Samwel18
    Samwel18
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Samwel18 Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:06 pm

imma kemm int tal genn marco SmileSmileSmileSmile u amaze me everytime you post something on airplanes and on everythiong that is Smile

keep it up ha nithallmu Smile

Sam =]
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:22 am

there was a documentary on the Mosquito last Sunday. I still find it hard to believe a low level bomber that flew under heavy ground fire and was mostly built of wood Neutral
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:03 am

Excellent photos Marco, they let you know exactly what was metal and what was wood, really great reference especially when weathering. Do you think that they applied any particular type of paint over the wood before the finish. I think that the Vampire and Sea Venom at the aviation museum have some sort of reddish paint under the final coat over the wood. It would be good to know just in case there are parts of the airframe subject to chipping.
    Cyril.
    Cyril.
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Cyril. Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:10 pm

Marco,

Beautiful photos of a beautiful model. I got your message.

A splendid model, where did you find it? Very Happy

Thank you for your comments, even Brian's. Razz

One thing I know for sure, the one I am modelling spent a lot of time over water, as it belonged to Costal Command, so weathering would be more like in the first photo you sent.

Needs some careful planning. I would appriciate more how to tackle it and what products to use. Ivan suggested pigments, but I'm not so sure. confused
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Cyril for the weathering I leave you my mates modellers, they are the buffs on that matter , for the model go to hyperscale and search mosquito models ...
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:57 pm

You need to establish what type of weathering it would have been subjected to, whether it was paint chipping, paint fading, combinations of both and then we shall see what can be done to the model. First of all you need to play about with some shading of the same camo and then we shall see about the rest.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:13 pm

Samwel18 wrote:imma kemm int tal genn marco SmileSmileSmileSmile u amaze me everytime you post something on airplanes and on everythiong that is Smile

keep it up ha nithallmu Smile

Sam =]

U ghandek bzonn titghallem tibda tikteb b'ilsien pajjizek l-ewwel u qabel kollox ta Sad

Ray affraid
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:19 pm

skyhigh wrote:Cyril for the weathering I leave you my mates modellers, they are the buffs on that matter , for the model go to hyperscale and search mosquito models ...

Marco that is a very beautiful model Shocked when did you finish it? During the night or Laughing Evil or Very Mad ???

Joking apart, you really are AMAZING as you manage to get hold of every situation that is scale model related Cool

And since you will never get that model or any model finished in this lifetime, keep up with your Master Advisor and Master Judge Titles so the whole Scale Modelling World would benefit from your hidden talent I love you

WE ALL LOVE YOU & OWE YOU for what we are and where we are as individuals and as a club as well I love you

Ray affraid

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:47 pm