SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
jojjemannen
Luke
Noel Petroni
David
olivermifsud
Tancred
Alex Kontiveis
iCocker
skyhigh
bcauchi
Samwel18
matilda
RayCaruana
alexbb
William
Ray
20 posters

Piper Kenneth MacKay

Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Empty Re: Piper Kenneth MacKay

Post  Ray Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:16 pm

Ok guys a quick update after a stroll around the forum Laughing

Drones, and chanter are ready Laughing

Painted as ebony wood with all junctions in ivory as per famous painting of this legendary and defiant Piper of which I'm inserting that same painting by J.B.Anderson.

The blowstick would be painted after I mount it in place at the last moment pale

Ray affraid

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Dhm02410
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:38 pm

wise decission ray, you opted for authenticity. i would suggest you take a printout of the painting along with you to dispell any disbeleivers
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Post  RayCaruana Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Ray wrote:
    RayCaruana wrote:Ray, why don't you post on planet figure? Maybe there's a scottish modeller that can help you?
    BTW, have I ever told you that I used to play the bagpipes? And I was quite good too Cool One day I will buy one to entertain you at the club Smile

"So I PM'd and emailed David Mitchell one of our Scottish brothers on PlanetFigure requesting help."

Ray Caruan AKA Relax and FORGOTTEN BAGPIPE PLAYER lol! I did just that when I posted that I was stuck re bagpipes Sad

Ray affraid

OOOPS!! sorry!!! Embarassed Embarassed Pec here I come Sad Sad ...I think we're in the same category after all I said in the other thread lol! lol!
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:37 pm

Interesting......... about the piper. Is he a legend or for real? I mean, did he walk blowing his pipe during the heat of a battle?

Can you tell us more oabout pipers in battle? Were they like WWII medics, in the sense that some respect was given to them and they were not usually targeted.

Ray, the forum is 90% successful if you have photos...... if you wish to talk we can go down to the local bar for a chat! We're in the digital world, man .......... much easier! What would you have done in the past if you had to wait for two weeks before you developed the photos!!!!

Regards
    Noel
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:47 pm

Noel Petroni wrote:Interesting......... about the piper. Is he a legend or for real? I mean, did he walk blowing his pipe during the heat of a battle?

Can you tell us more oabout pipers in battle? Were they like WWII medics, in the sense that some respect was given to them and they were not usually targeted.

Ray, the forum is 90% successful if you have photos...... if you wish to talk we can go down to the local bar for a chat! We're in the digital world, man .......... much easier! What would you have done in the past if you had to wait for two weeks before you developed the photos!!!!

Regards
    Noel

Noel, I think it was real, some mad Scotts achieved the same feat during the Somme [WW1] and at El Alemein [WW2], probably is side effects of pure whisky : )

What is sure brave soldiers they were and still are!

Ivan
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:02 pm

iCocker wrote:
    Noel Petroni wrote:Interesting......... about the piper. Is he a legend or for real? I mean, did he walk blowing his pipe during the heat of a battle?

Regards
    Noel

Noel, I think it was real, some mad Scotts achieved the same feat during the Somme [WW1] and at El Alemein [WW2], probably is side effects of pure whisky : )

What is sure brave soldiers they were and still are!

Ivan

TRUE SO TRUE CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT MUSICIANS WHERE PRIMARY TARGETS SINCE THE RENNAISANCE AS THEY WHERE CONSIDERED TO BE THE PACE/MARCH/CHARGE SETTERS OF ANY ARMY AND NO NOEL THEY WHERE NOT GIVEN THE SAME PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT RESERVED TO MEDICS QUITE THE CONTRARY.AS FOR THE SCOTISH PIPES THE EIRY SOUND OF THE PIPES ON THE BATTLEFIED DID ON MANY A BATTLEFIELD HAVE ADVERSE EFFECT ON ENEMIES WHILE IT WAS A MORAL BOOOSTER FOR THE SCOTS (IF THESE PEOPLE WITH A WARRIOR D.N.A. EVER NEED ANY BOOSTING THAT IS )
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 am

Noel, hope this satisfies your apetite and as for the BAR thing you suggested re our chat, well I hope you knew what you were saying lol!

As for the history you requested, both Ivan and Alex answered you so well from their historic repertoire Laughing

I only copied and pasted pale

Now, as per pics you requested, I'm making a TARTAN SBS for the benefit of anyone insane enough to tackle Cameron of Erracht Tartan, one of the more complex of all tartans Sad but it is FUN and I'm ENJOYING the MIND BLOWING it is creating, where even trying to explain it in simple words just drives you CRAZY lol!

Ray affraid

About the 79th Cameron Highlanders

The 79th Regiment of Foot was first raised as Cameron Volunteers in August 17, 1793 at Fort William from among the members of Clan Cameron by Alan Cameron of Erracht. Originally on the Irish establishment, it became part of the British Army in 1804, and in 1806 it was renamed as the 79th Regiment of Foot Cameron Highlanders.

They fought in Egypt in Napoleonic Wars, Peninsular campaigns and at Waterloo.

Besides the many battle honours of the regiment, probably the best known is “Waterloo". The 79th arrived on the field of battle on 17th June 1815, having fought for the best part of previous day at Quatre-Bras , where they had lost almost half of their fighting strenght dead or wounded. The regiment was hard pressed like the rest of Wellington's army during the long hours of battle on June 18th, 1815 at Mont St. Jean near the village of Waterloo. During the course of the afternoon the French subjected the British to a number of massive cavalry charges in hopes of breaking Wellington's centre. The 79th Highlanders were forced to form squares, an all around defensive formation that infantry assumed against cavalry during this period. While the French cavalry dashed themselves vainly upon the British squares, the French horse artillery moved in close to fire murderously upon the exposed British troops. The situation was desperate as entire files were blown away by the French artillery. The 79th, like many other British battalions, were near the breaking point. The pipes and drummers of the battalion were kept in the centre of the square together with the colours and the regimental staff.

About the figure

During one of the lulls of the battle; Piper Kenneth MacKay , showing no fear, moved out of the defensive square and began to play the traditional rallying tune “Codagh No Sith” – War or Peace, The True Gathering of the Clans. MacKay's sangfroid under fire inspired his comrades, and the entire battalion.His personal courage undoubtedly led to the 79th being one of only four regiments specially mentioned by the Duke of Wellington in his Waterloo despatch. Piper MacKay was presented with a silver mounted pipes by the King for his individual bravery in this battle.
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Piper MacKay was presented with a silver mounted pipes by the King for his individual bravery in this battle.

So he survived the battle? He has two big ones! Shocked

Regards
    Noel
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:02 am

Morn SSM Laughing

Here's the mini SBS on the Tartan so far with the USUAL LOUSY PICS Sad

Also I'm including a pic of the actual Tartan for clarity or an acceptable try at "clarity" Sad

Please note that Tartan flashes used as badge backings and sleeve flashes were typically taken from the intersection of the yellow lines, and in this case the ribbon on top of the drones is no exception Sad

Ray affraid

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Tartan10

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur10

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur11

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur12

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur13

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur14

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur15

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur16

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur17

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur18

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur19

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur20

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur21
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Well Ray you now still in my heart you are an aircraft model traitor.. Evil or Very Mad But you still build and paint great work as always welldone for th SBS work... cheers
    Luke
    Luke
    Bronze
    Bronze

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Empty Very nice job

Post  Luke Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Very nice job Ray Very Happy
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:54 am

Luke wrote:Very nice job Ray Very Happy

Thanks Luke, but I hope that you are studying and not trying to catch up with my number of posts Evil or Very Mad

Ray affraid
    Luke
    Luke
    Bronze
    Bronze

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Empty No i am not

Post  Luke Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:37 am

No i am not trying to catch up with your post lol! and right now i am doing exams

Last edited by Luke on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:21 am

Ray are you touching up images on Photoshope or some other software as I do not think it is your camera that is taking lousy pics but these updates!!!!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 am

Prosit man, i don;t know how i missed these pics. It is amazing to see how you build up the tartan pattern, it is already looking great. I think that painting a tartan especially on the kilt with all those pleats, is one of the most difficult paint jobs when painting figures and you alwasy make an amazing job of it. I love it. The green is also interesting, a change from the usual red tartan.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Luke wrote:No i am not trying to catch up with your post lol! and right now i am doing exams

JAQBILLEK Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Ray affraid
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:49 pm

iCocker wrote:Ray are you touching up images on Photoshope or some other software as I do not think it is your camera that is taking lousy pics but these updates!!!!

Ivan, the setting on the camera WAS BAD AGAIN, as I discovered yesterday and this morn continued to experiment. the EV was set to 0 so the light was FLOODING the pic Sad (x'jien ghajjien hux Sad ) so I don't need a new photographer after all Laughing just a SLAP on the cheek was enough to WAKE him up Laughing

Took a couple of shots with the EV (hope it is EV Laughing ) set to -2, -1.7, -1.3 & stopped at -1 Laughing and the results are MUCH BETTER with only AutoBalance on PhotoEditor needed Laughing

Will update new advaced pics with advanced Tartan tomorrow Laughing and also with face and back pack Laughing

Ray affraid
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:51 pm

bcauchi wrote:Prosit man, i don;t know how i missed these pics. It is amazing to see how you build up the tartan pattern, it is already looking great. I think that painting a tartan especially on the kilt with all those pleats, is one of the most difficult paint jobs when painting figures and you alwasy make an amazing job of it. I love it. The green is also interesting, a change from the usual red tartan.

Thanks Brian, hope I can produce decent enough pics tomorrow to show the work to a decent effect Laughing

Ray affraid
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Ray wrote:
    iCocker wrote:Ray are you touching up images on Photoshope or some other software as I do not think it is your camera that is taking lousy pics but these updates!!!!

Ivan, the setting on the camera WAS BAD AGAIN, as I discovered yesterday and this morn continued to experiment. the EV was set to 0 so the light was FLOODING the pic Sad (x'jien ghajjien hux Sad ) so I don't need a new photographer after all Laughing just a SLAP on the cheek was enough to WAKE him up Laughing

Took a couple of shots with the EV (hope it is EV Laughing ) set to -2, -1.7, -1.3 & stopped at -1 Laughing and the results are MUCH BETTER with only AutoBalance on PhotoEditor needed Laughing

Will update new advaced pics with advanced Tartan tomorrow Laughing and also with face and back pack Laughing

Ray affraid

So the camera was bad silent

Ray try using Adobe Photoshop [ideal CS versions] instead of PhotoEditor, nad do not use the autbalance but work with curves. The problem is with autobalance teh software will work with a simplified diagnostics already set up and might not be 100% accurate, hence with curves you manage each channel yourself. Beware also if you have basic LCD monitors, these tend to enhance images much more and would not result exactly when you go to print. Images are taken RGB and print works in CMYK, tends to darken contrast a bit more ... hope it helps buddy!

Iv
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:58 pm

Ivan yes I've been missing PhotoShop for a while now and only have PhotoEditor installed in this box infront of me Sad

Anyone has PhotShop copied on a CD mates, just maybe I can c*p> ^t Suspect Sad

Ray affraid
    Luke
    Luke
    Bronze
    Bronze

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Empty What kind of editing ?

Post  Luke Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:02 pm

What kind of editing you want to do Ray ? Because I have a programm like photoshop and it is very good for editing
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:57 am

I can help you out. It is not the latest version but good enough for all your needs. If i knew you needed it i would have got it with me yesterday. I shall look for it and contact you and if you want we can meet up so that i hand it to you. I don't know if i will manage to come to the club next week.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:28 am

Up till I can get my hands on what Brian is offering me (and Liuke as well) I managed these pics after SOME experimenting with my digicam Cool

They may not and definitely are nothing to write home about, but IMHO they are SLIGHTLY BETTER then the RECENT CRAP AND LOUSY PICS I've been shooting Twisted Evil

Tomorrow morn (since I spent the whole afternoon after work, shooting, editing, writing down notes of what I shot and with what settings & now I've put superglue on them camera buttons Laughing ) I will start the yellow and red lines Sad on the Tartan Sad

Ray affraid

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur22

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur23

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur24

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur25

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur26

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur27

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur28

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur29

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur33

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur30

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur31

Piper Kenneth MacKay - Page 3 Pictur32

Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Post  RayCaruana Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:57 am

Ray, you can use GIMP instead of Photoshop if you like. It's a PS clone and freeware. A decent program IMO.

http://www.gimp.org/
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:26 am

Ray qed tintrma zzejjed ta! Those pics are not bad at all and you are shooting quite small detail. Decide if you want my programme and i will get it for you or hand it over somehow.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:18 am