SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Dottore
Ray
jojjemannen
7 posters

Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank

jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank Empty Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank

Post  jojjemannen Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:43 am

Hi Guys,

As practice makes perfect I have an practice tank to test my painting on.

And here goes, unfortunately the different shades does not show properly on the photos, I need to buy better lights.

Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank _igp3118
    Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank _igp3119
    Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank _igp3120
    Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank _igp3123
    Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank _igp3122

Tell me what you think.

/Tiny

Last edited by jojjemannen on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank Empty Re: Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank

Post  Ray Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Now that's a good boy Twisted Evil

Positive thinking leads to positive actions Viking.

Without the much needed patience you won't conquer like your forefathers did Evil or Very Mad

Joking apart, the pics show enough that you are stepping up your efforts and even if faintly, the modulation shows really pirat

Keep it up bro Cool
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank Empty Finish...

Post  Dottore Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:26 pm

looks slightly grainy....I suggest you add a tot of gloss/clear. Will make a more life-like metal look the satin finish too....

Otherwise great job mate...

Dottore
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:56 pm

The grainyness comes from the fact that I've "Auto Adjusted" the picture in Microsoft Picture Editor Smile

/Tiny
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Sat May 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Don't know why I managed to create a new thread for this one..

Noticed that the cleaning lady managed to remove 6 of the wheels. So I'm a few steel wheels short!

Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank _igp3124
    Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank _igp3125
    Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank _igp3126

I've managed to get two thumbprints on the side of the tank. And the wheels are just fastened with blue tack.

I'll bring it to the club on Wednesday so you can give me some instructions on how to remove thumb prints...

please comment on it!
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank Empty Thumbprints....

Post  Dottore Sat May 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Those dreaded thumbprints...always wash hands thouroughly before painting session OR wear surgical gloves as I do (I can hear the others laughing) OR use the insides of the turret or hull to hold the tank...

As for removing them I guess you have to paint over it with the base colour mate....

Job looks OK but judging from pics so not easy!

Dottore
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sat May 29, 2010 10:14 pm

You are improving, Joseph!

Very neat paint job. Good idea to practice on this model.

In the first photos I can see the modulation technique. Maybe at the club we can see it better.

Regards
    Noel
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank _igp3220
    Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank _igp3221

Last edited by jojjemannen on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:20 pm

I am no AFV Nut, but since I'm still a NUT and I know a good thing when I see one Twisted Evil I really like what I'm seeing Cool

Looks very very good IMHO cheers

Love the sublime touch with the replaced door hatch I love you
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:25 am

Looking really nice Tiny
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank Empty Looks like...

Post  Dottore Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:45 am

You have applied a filter? Or oil paint streaking?
    Looking good. Great start to weathering.

Dottore

PS @ Ray...its not a replaced hatch...its a hatch still in primer...(I think!)
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:03 am

You're even improving on your weathering techniques!

Looks very good.

You can improve the detail of the weld seams, for example, by pin-washing them with Raw Umber oil paint. THis will bring out the detail. I would even pin-touch on either side of the fender embossed ribs and around the detail on top of the turret.

However, you're doing giant steps and a great difference from the first models you had brought to the club.

Regards
    Noel
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:24 am

Ray wrote:I am no AFV Nut, but since I'm still a NUT and I know a good thing when I see one Twisted Evil I really like what I'm seeing Cool

Looks very very good IMHO cheers

Love the sublime touch with the replaced door hatch I love you

bcauchi wrote:Looking really nice Tiny

Dottore wrote:You have applied a filter? Or oil paint streaking?
    Looking good. Great start to weathering.

Dottore

PS @ Ray...its not a replaced hatch...its a hatch still in primer...(I think!)

Noel Petroni wrote:You're even improving on your weathering techniques!

Looks very good.

You can improve the detail of the weld seams, for example, by pin-washing them with Raw Umber oil paint. THis will bring out the detail. I would even pin-touch on either side of the fender embossed ribs and around the detail on top of the turret.

However, you're doing giant steps and a great difference from the first models you had brought to the club.

Regards
    Noel

Thanks everyone,

I think I'm stuck in that "I want to be best today" mentality, Stevan even told me this when we took the photos at my place this Monday.

The reason I just posted pictures is that I'm not sure that I'm satisfied with the result so far. It seems that I failed to thin the Vallejo Satin, and that is shown on the front plate. I will bring it to the club so I can show it to you what I mean.

/Tiny
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:42 pm

And it's in the bin for the moment. when I started to remove the wash, parts fell off so I calmly put aside in the corner..
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:55 pm

jojjemannen wrote:And it's in the bin for the moment. when I started to remove the wash, parts fell off so I calmly put aside in the corner..

TINY shame on you lol!
    WHERE IS THE PROVERBIAL SWEDISH LEVEL HEADEDNESS AND LOGICAL THINKING, YOU ARE BECOMING MORE AND MORE LIKE US. IMPULSIVE
    lol! lol! lol! lol!
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:33 am

Tiny you really had a smooth progress so why have you lost faith mate! Modelling is never plain sailing ... courage mate, hope you can rectify the mistake as this was coming out nice.

@ Ray, a little history and artistic license on the paper panzers [late war]. The red wheel and hatch are primed items, an idea today 'infashion' for 1945 models to show the emergency of teh situation with the red dawn entering Berlin, so each factory assembly what is made ready to go for war. Though we now of many tanks went out just in the red oxide primer, there were also green for heavy tanks and occasional barrels were in zinc oxide, grey. The little artistic licensce is to show this emergency situation, as Germans put away 'their standards' in production to make everything available to make the ultimate sacrifice. They also put tanks without engines as pillboxes. On another note this Panther never really existed as is, unfortunetly only an assembly line of turrets were ready but factory, you might still find images on the net which was bombed by USAF. The only surviving turret ended in Bovington UK, but some genius used it for practice shooting ... so you can imagine that nowadays it looks like Edam Cheese ...

Image of factory found on ML website. Notice on the side the Schmal turrets inline to be fit on a Phanther G chassis, NB photo is original and give an indication of the Dark Yellow and red primed items ...

Panther Schmalturm - Practice tank Factor10

Ivan
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:41 am

Ivan, I have not lost faith Smile

And it's not in frustration I've put it away, it's so I can ponder what the next step is.
    It's not in bit's and pieces, I didn't throw it in the corner, I put it there gently!

It seems that the biggest mistake I did on this tank so far is that I did not thin the gloss enough. But I have a saying about doing mistakes, "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one" (Einstein Said that). So I am learning a lot from my mistakes, and I will continue doing them.

Like the mistake I did this last saturday, I told a beautiful woman that I met at a bar; "You look like your mother!"..

But hey, now I know! Razz
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:40 am

Hold old was her mother? pirat

Keep the good work mate ...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:27 am