SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
slingshot392
Ray
Paul Salomone
in nannu pec
iCocker
skyhigh
bcauchi
11 posters

Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet'

bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Empty Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet'

Post  bcauchi Sun May 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi guys, this is another of Brad's babies which i have done in just one week, whew! what a change from the Bf110's two years build time. Hope you like it. the kit comes from Polar Lights, is not such a good fitting model and required much sanding and filling. Painting was done with Model Master metallizers. I used exhaust for most of the guy, titanium, burnt metal and steel. Applied a wash with acrylic black, Overall sealed in with Revell gloss varnish and added lowlights by adding a few drops of black and very dark blue to more gloss varnish and sprayed over the metallizer. It was fun to build.
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Robby_10
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Robby_11
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Robby310
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Robby410
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Robby510
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Robby610
    This guy will also be holding a girl in his metal arms. Both girls to paint next.
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Empty Re: Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet'

Post  skyhigh Sun May 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Jesus what memory I remember this film so well ...

Welldone brian... cheers

Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' 51awt310
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Empty Re: Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet'

Post  iCocker Sun May 13, 2012 9:11 pm

A classic of SciFi always loved this robot ... Bri you really made him good!

This is a kind of subject when modelling is fun!
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Mon May 14, 2012 7:53 am

a nice change I say....have to do something like this when I finish my Wasp Smile
    in nannu
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon May 14, 2012 8:03 am

Thanks guys, this is real fun modeling. I think that i will be doing either a figure or something totally different after each aircraft. I have a mean looking Yamaha Vmax, one of my favourite bikes all lined up now. even got photoetch for it. Looking forward to that too.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Empty Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet'

Post  Paul Salomone Mon May 14, 2012 8:08 am

Well Done Brian,

Sometimes a change is always welcome - helps to clear a bit the mind off the usual brain storming sessions of scale modelling.

cheers cheers cheers
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon May 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Well Done Bri Twisted Evil

Keep having fun mate as these "Leisure Brakes" will get you all oiled up & in full gear for the next "Mind Blowing Venture" Suspect
    slingshot392
    slingshot392
    Silver
    Silver

Post  slingshot392 Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 am

Wow Brian, you are really flying through these figures! Can't believe how fast you are getting them done. This is the best Robby I have ever seen done, the body really looks like it was made out in a futuristic metal and the rest of him really looks true to the color stills of the original. He will look great holding that Jimmy Flintstone girl!

This was also one of my favorite old-time sci-fi movies, I think Forbidden Planet & When Worlds Collide were some of the best early science fiction movies.
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sun May 27, 2012 5:25 pm

This project is ready!! I hope you will like seeing the photos as much as i liked building and painting the models. The base is simple plastic from the kit. It portrays a small part of the ambient of the planet. Painted it in varying shades of dark red, black and brown and dry brushed with light cream to highlight all the details. I like it although it is very simple.

Robby is well known by now and already a celebrity. As for my dear Mary (that's what I call her at home), she was painted entirely in oils. I cannot get to grips with acrylics and even after reading various articles and books and messing her up at least twice, I just could not get it right. So I developed my own technique using the medium I feel most comfortable with, oils. I first applied the basic shades using a brush in the usual manner, the skin hair, two tones of her dress, etc. Then I diluted the oil paints with the cellulose thinner I use for spraying on enamels and used the airbrush for the rest of the work. In this manner i have put in the highlights and lowlights with nice soft transitions between the colours.

She is entirely airbrushed save for her hair,which was mostly done by brush, her finger/toe nails and earring which were painted on by brush and her makeup which incidentally is real make up borrowed from my wife (with her permission of course!!!).

Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Ready110
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Ready210
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Ready310
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Ready410
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Ready510
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Ready610
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Ready710
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Ready810
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Ready910
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Ready111
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Ready112

Post  Guest Sun May 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Excellent work!!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sun May 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks Joe, glad you like it, i can tell you it was great fun!

Post  Guest Sun May 27, 2012 7:26 pm

It is good to do something different for a break, its healthy for the brain!!
    olivermifsud
    olivermifsud
    Highly Commended
    Highly Commended

Post  olivermifsud Sun May 27, 2012 8:08 pm

proset keep it up
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sun May 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Awesome... Brian... simply awesome... cheers
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun May 27, 2012 9:46 pm

Nice job on the Girl figure! Very good!

She even looks attractive and the way Mr Robot is carrying her it is also provocative! Nice set!

The Robot on it's own looked like a beverage dispensing machine....... comes together well with the female figure.

I was not aware of this science fiction.
    slingshot392
    slingshot392
    Silver
    Silver

Post  slingshot392 Mon May 28, 2012 5:00 am

Excellent job on the lady figured Brian! She so complements Robby, he's almost blah without her, and it really replicates the movie posters of the day. You did a great job and blending the skin tones on the legs and the arms, something that easy to do on a female figure.
    slingshot392
    slingshot392
    Silver
    Silver

Post  slingshot392 Mon May 28, 2012 5:01 am

Noel Petroni wrote:Nice job on the Girl figure! Very good!

She even looks attractive and the way Mr Robot is carrying her it is also provocative! Nice set!

The Robot on it's own looked like a beverage dispensing machine....... comes together well with the female figure.

I was not aware of this science fiction.

Robby was used in quite a few movie and television shows back in the 50s and into the 60s, he didn't always looked like he does here witches from the movie Forbidden Planet. He was radically changed for the TV show, Lost In Space.

This lady figured in the one Brian is working on for that Creature from the Black Lagoon are both made by Jimmy Flintstone, he makes a good number of figures, a whole lot of car bodies as well as some other interesting odds and ends. His resin does seem to take a little bit more work to clean up than other companies, but his resin is also more inexpensive than others, I picked up a 1/25 car body for $10 which was very nice on the outside, just needed some sanding on the inside, each lady figure was a little under $25.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon May 28, 2012 5:32 pm

OMG, Brian my bro, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???????

WHY did you paint the Lady the way you painted her???????

WHY, can you explain WHY PLEASE???????

AWESOME to the power of INFINITY Bro Twisted Evil

I APPLAUD YOU.......I SALUTE YOU cheers I love you cheers I love you cheers I love you cheers

bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon May 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys, when they are all done i will bring them over before i send them along on their long journey around the globe. I still need to finish the last duo, the creature holding the other girl but i want to make a base for that one.

Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Mon May 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Prosit Brian, you did a great job Cool

Tankred afro
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Post  RayCaruana Mon May 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Well done Brian, especially the lady I love you
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Tue May 29, 2012 6:33 am

Like Brad sad, this robot was famous...
    Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Forbid10

Robby the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet' Press_10
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Tue May 29, 2012 7:08 am

Brian...you are such a versatile modeller....and you always do it right !!!!....what next....well done....my compliments master...
    In nannu
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Tue May 29, 2012 7:44 am

You are too good Wig, i am glad you like it. Have been wanting to do this for a long time.
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Paul Salomone Tue May 29, 2012 7:57 am

Prosit Brian, Very Happy

I echo what Louis said, you are a versitile modeller, and what you do - you do it right first time.

Just one little issue - IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF GIVING LIFE TO THAT FINE WOMAN. JUST IMAGE HER COMING IN THROUGH THE CLUB PREMISES FRONT DOOR, TOMORROW EVENING.

JUST JOKING

KEEP IT UP BRIAN.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content