SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
in nannu pec
skyhigh
milan23
7 posters

Getting started

milan23

Getting started Empty Getting started

Post  milan23 Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi there
    I'm Kevin from Sliema... i've been trying to find a 'crafts' hobby to pull me away from the pc (i am an accountant and after spending 10 hrs in front of the pc at work i often find myself wasting time browsing and playing useless games on the pc).
    Kit modelling seems interesting. I rememeber playing around with kit models years ago but never took it seriously.
    Do you have some tips where i can start from?
    Many thanks
    Kevin

skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Getting started Empty Re: Getting started

Post  skyhigh Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:45 pm

milan23 wrote:Hi there
    I'm Kevin from Sliema... i've been trying to find a 'crafts' hobby to pull me away from the pc (i am an accountant and after spending 10 hrs in front of the pc at work i often find myself wasting time browsing and playing useless games on the pc).
    Kit modelling seems interesting. I rememeber playing around with kit models years ago but never took it seriously.
    Do you have some tips where i can start from?
    Many thanks
    Kevin

Hi Kevin ,
    wellcome to our forum , to start with you couldn't choose any better , for your free time ...

Do you have any idea what subject are you interested.....

Last edited by skyhigh on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    milan23

Post  milan23 Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:52 pm

I'd like to start with something not too complicated. No real preference for the time being... what would you suggest? :-)
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:06 pm

milan23 wrote:I'd like to start with something not too complicated. No real preference for the time being... what would you suggest? :-)

He He Very Happy , I'm on the wingy side so you can try a plane Very Happy ...
    go for a simple jet, one or two colour paint..

There are two modelshops in Malta ..the modelshop at liklin and Khobbies at fgura , ask for Tony he use to build models so he can give you a hint....

Or it will be a better idea in my opinion to come to our club next wed if you can, after 7.00pm ..and we will explain you or show you what our great hobby is all about... cheers
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Getting started Empty hi

Post  in nannu pec Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Kevin Welcome....I'm on the Shippy side Smile...You know buiding ships is also so rewarding ( doing my bit for the Marine Section)....seriously , once you choose a modelling field it's a very enjoyable and rewarding hobby....I'm the nannu of the club Very Happy so if you can gather I've been modelling for donkey years...had a go at everything and I ended up building ships...so there you go...I'm always here for a few tips.....again , welcome friend
    In nannu Cool
    milan23

Post  milan23 Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi all Smile Thanks for the replies Smile
    Wednesday is a bit of a problem since Milan are playing at that time Smile not that I am entertained by the way they have been playing.. but i try to keep up the support even in these dull times...
    I was looking a bit at the airfix website... would something like this be good to start off with?
    http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-models-for-2012/aircraft-172-scale/a01013a-comet-racer-green-a01013a/
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:39 pm

milan23 wrote:Hi all Smile Thanks for the replies Smile
    Wednesday is a bit of a problem since Milan are playing at that time Smile not that I am entertained by the way they have been playing.. but i try to keep up the support even in these dull times...
    I was looking a bit at the airfix website... would something like this be good to start off with?
    http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-models-for-2012/aircraft-172-scale/a01013a-comet-racer-green-a01013a/

Yes Kevin... you made a very good choice to start with ...a prop aircraft and historical eswell...

For the Milan match , it is no problem we have a tele at the club , and there is some milan members supporters to... so there is no way out... lol!

Joking apart ..Kevin feel free.. just drop by any wed evenning you want we will be happy to help you building this kit ... cheers
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Wayne Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Welcome on board Kevin. It's always great to see someone join the hobby! Like yourself, I only recently came back to model making after a very long absence (basically since childhood). Like Skyhigh says, find something that's easy to build but that also catches your interest, be it a tank, a ship, a figure or best of all an aircraft tongue (I'm a wing nut too you see). The best advice I can give you at this stage is to stick to the basics. find a kit that interests you (I personally like the one you chose) get some basic supplies: liquid cement (glue), something to cut the bits of the sprue, some masking tape and of course some paints - and proceed to build the kit out of the box as it is. If you find the hobby enjoyable you can then move on into investing in some more tools and kits.

As a club, we always welcome new members and we're always very enthusiastic (too much sometimes) to help newcomers out. There is no better substitute for bringing your work in progress with you at the premises and having a chat with the rest of the guys...you'll learn in leaps and bounds. I know I am.

One last thing to consider is scale. Choose a scale you are comfortable with. Smaller scale models require less detail and obviously less storage space while the opposite is true for larger scale models.

anyway, that's too much rambling from me. Happy modelling cheers

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    milan23

Post  milan23 Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 am

I'll try to go to the model shop today after work..
    Did some basic research.. and basically i understand that:
    1. Before starting off one should wash the parts in normal detergent
    2. Paint the smaller parts
    3. Assemble
    4. Paint the larger parts
    5. Apply the decals
    There is also mention of the need for 'filler'. Is this something i need to worry about at this point or is it something to be considered at a later stage Smile?
    In respect of tools, i understand that something like this will do http://www.airfix.com/humbrol-paints-and-accessories/accessories/modelling-tools/ag9150-tool-set-ag9150/ + a couple of paint brushes.
    All set to go?
    Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Scirocco Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi Kevin,
    Welcome to the forum, and to SSM. As most of those responded to your plea, I am an aircraft modeller. As stated earlier, it is best first to choose your scale, although you can change that with your second model if you feel so. As regards the Airfix kit you chose, I don't suggest it as your first kit, as although it is quite basic, it is a very old mould and would require some more skills to complete satisfactorily. I suggest that you start with a new mould kit that would have a better fit and crisper parts. For example Academy have some very good models in 1/72nd, which I think sell for around EUR10 locally, and usually can build into nice replicas without even a touch of filler. The new mould Airfix kits (eg. Mig-15, F-86, Spitfires) are also very good and priced quite cheaply. Before purchasing a kit, look up for some online review which would reveal any faults beforehand.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:52 am

Welcome to our den, already many responded to your plea, unfortunetly I am from the Dark Side ... AFV military enthusiast so my help will be in your next step when you strat to add that little dirt and damage to your models ... as for choice of models try to go to a newly realesed models, the latest once are state of the art gems, brands like Italeri, Airfix,Academy and Revell have some nice material but check some reviews first, if not mistaken the new Airfix Spitfire and Zero are damn cheap and very reasonable kits to start with ...

On another note pay a visit to our clubhouse ... that would be much more interesting! As for Milan mate I am with you but hey this year we can benefit doing more modelling as it is a going to be a lousy year for the team!

Ivan
    milan23

Post  milan23 Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:01 am

Hi guys.. thanks again for the replies..
    I am a bit confused by Scirocco's comment of the one i chose being an old mould given that if i am not mistaken it is a 2012 model cyclops
    David
    David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:29 am

Hi Kevin
    New doesn't neccesarly mean new tooling
    Most new mean back on catalogue
    Try searching airfix Dh Comet and you'll get a better idea
    http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=169256

Cheers
    David
    milan23

Post  milan23 Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:55 am

haha noob Shocked
    so.. next question Sad ... is there any indication of the new models somewhere?
    Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Scirocco Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:05 am

Pick a model, and make your research online (with the kit number, as sometimes there are even two moulds from the same manufacturer e.g. Hasegawa 1/72 F-14) and you would know exactly what's in the box and how it builds up for sure!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:49 am