SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
olivermifsud
Luke
in nannu pec
Joseph
RayCaruana
Tancred
iCocker
AdriaN
bcauchi
Dottore
Ray
alexbb
skyhigh
Noel Petroni
18 posters

Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!)

Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!)

Post  Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:33 pm

oooops What a Face
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!)

Post  Noel Petroni Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks for the B&W photo, Alex!!! I thought I had to redo the bracket!

Sometimes it's a problem taking reference from restored museum vehicles.... they're not restored right! scratch

Doc..... I forget to say thanks for your offer on the PE and Mr Surfacer! I really wish to buy one as I know about it's excellent application.

Question for Doc: Is it correct if I presume that the commanders cupola was rotating on this Sherman?

Regards
    Noel
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 Empty Cupola....

Post  Dottore Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:28 am

Yes it was fully rotational as well as the individual periscopes inside the hatches were...

Re shovel fitting...I stand corrected got the version wrong...

Re Mr Surfacer... as crafty as modellers may be some products just yield a better result Cool than homemade alternatives....but maybe thats my opinion!

Cheers and good choice of subject mate:-)

Dottore
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:22 am

Dottore wrote:Yes it was fully rotational as well as the individual periscopes inside the hatches were...

Re Mr Surfacer... as crafty as modellers may be some products just yield a better result Cool than homemade alternatives....but maybe thats my opinion!

Dottore

How many hours you spend Dot to finish the turret with texture with Mr Surfacer? ... I guess the minum, so that's why you can afford to spend 16hrs setting an MG cheers

Vanni Twisted Evil

Post  Guest Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:58 am

iCocker wrote:
    Dottore wrote:Yes it was fully rotational as well as the individual periscopes inside the hatches were...

Dottore

How many hours you spend Dot to finish the turret with texture with Mr Surfacer? ... I guess the minum, so that's why you can afford to spend 16hrs setting an MG cheers

Vanni Twisted Evil

What, 16hrs for mg Suspect
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:01 pm

FJ.........MELA MA TAFIEX L-ISTORJA Embarassed pale ??????????

Ray affraid
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:49 am

An idea of how it will look like with the figures. THey are from Miniart and need a lot of cleaning!!

Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 PB-Sherman
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:42 am

Already looking great Noel but why are they looking in different directions?... better give them one focal point IMO or the outside figure is meant to be doing something else as it is missing the other hand so can't get a proper clue what is he up to Smile

Miniart figures need some work but they are a benchmark in styrene figure production. At least they have volume, right anatomy and detailed uniform, need some work to bring them up to standard but you have a good pediment to work with, much better then some resin material. What I encounter with previouse production was that when I had to change heads with Hornets their bodies were on the big side, lucky I had a good range of Hornet heads to choose from to find the right proportion ... but looks like they really fixed the problem with the newer range ...

I love to see a Brit Ronson at least will add some new colour then the usual OD, which Sherman are you making from DML the Alemein one?

Ivan
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:30 pm

Already looking great Noel but why are they looking in different directions?

They are just to get an idea..........the two guys on the turret will be looking in one direction. The driver...... I still have to think about him because I might add foot infantry from the Dragon set.

Regards
    Noel
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:02 pm

noel
    regarding the dragon infantry there is an issue with the equipment as regards to accuracy. just to let you know

Post  Guest Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:23 pm

Ray wrote:FJ.........MELA MA TAFIEX L-ISTORJA Embarassed pale ??????????

Ray affraid

heard bit and pieces, but not the details, and I actually thought they were just rumours Suspect

Post  Guest Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:46 pm

looking great Noel.
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:57 am

noel
    regarding the dragon infantry there is an issue with the equipment as regards to accuracy. just to let you know

I read something about this, somewhere. I'll have to check with some photos..... but it should not be a big deal.

The PE fenders are not the PE I would expect from Eduard, Aber etc... in fact, they were difficult to bend and had gaps that needed to be filled.
    Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 PB-fender01

Did more work on connecting the sitting figure to the turret
    Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 PB-figureturret

Pattern I'll be using
    Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 _C253337

Close up. Note the scratches from where the crew mounts the tank.
    Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 PB-photo01
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 Empty Camouflage pattern....

Post  Dottore Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:32 am

Not easy at all...you're a brave man Noel!

Any plans on how you will try it? Hand painted? Blu-tak?

Dottore
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:48 am

Is this the same Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 36337011camouflage
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:43 am

Very promising, it would also look really cool with the willy's near it as in the photo.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:13 pm

Marco strikes again in the AFV nutty section cheers

You're God's gift to the hobby Marco king

Ray affraid
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:57 pm

Not easy at all...you're a brave man Noel!

Any plans on how you will try it? Hand painted? Blu-tak?

Dottore

It's not difficult. First I draw the camo. lightly with a pencil and airbrush! Since the white line has to be hand painted it will cover the transition from one colour to the other.

Very promising, it would also look really cool with the willy's near it as in the photo.

I was tempted to do this but since there is a very good chance it will go as an article in a book, I need to finish in a short time.

@ Skyhigh... yes I have this photo and another from another angle. It's a famous photo and a good reference
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:20 pm

I have a another photo...Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 Untitl12
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:01 am

Marco, shine on you scale modelling diamond Laughing

Ray affraid
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:45 am

Armour modellers.... HELP PLEASE

mela....... the PE fenders that come with the kit are killing me!

THe case is this:

As soon as I attach the fenders to the hull I will have difficulty inserting the rubber track (I like to paint and weather the track apart from the model). Even so, if I do manage, the upper track run stays afloat and not touching the return rollers. In actual photos the track teeth are visible and so I'd have to bring the upper track run down to touch the return roller,,,,,, which will be extremely difficult, if not impossible. Keep in mind that the fenders will be delicately attached and can not withstand abuse.

This leaves the only option:
    Fit the tracks before the fenders and paint the model with the tracks on. What do you say? I never tried it.
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:51 am

Tracks
    Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 PB-tracks

Fenders. still undergoing beauty treatment
    Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 PB-fenderstucco
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:18 am

Noel the best advisor for the Sherman fenders is Doc Roe lol!

Ray affraid
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Sherman Alamein - (READY!!!!!!) - Page 2 Empty Options.....

Post  Dottore Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:25 am

Noel I honestly can't believe you never came across this problem....

Option 1: Fix the fenders, pain the tank and fenders...weather the tracks without glueing the tracks into a loop. pass the tracks (open chain) through the suspension and being gluable stick them once you have passed the tracks thru. You still run the risk of damaging delicate PE fenders this way...

Option 2: Paint and weather the tracks, glue them into a loop and attach to suspension BEFORE fixing the fenders. You can paint the upper hull and fenders separately and attach the fenders to the uper hull after ataching the tracks on the painted model. I have used this method mostly (on a pershing). Since the model is already painted i would recommend using a water soluble glue like Gator glue so if any glue seeps over the paint you can wipe it off with some water and a brush witout ruining the paint job.

Option 3: Similar as above but only paint and weather the LOWER hull and tracks. Upper hull and fenders are unpainted. Stick the tracks...attach the unpainted fenders to the rest of the unpainted upper hull. Mask the lower suspension (and tracks)and paint the camo on the tank. Probably this is your best choice.

Lastly the tracks can be glued to the return rollers with cyano glue, but I have read people putting in spacers at the top of the tracks to keep the track run down (hidden away from sight by the fenders).

What I would do..is use aftermarket link by link tracks (have loads can sponsor you a set)...get the right shape...weather and paint lower hull and tracks...mask lower hull and suspension...and paint the rest of the model...

Hope this helps...

Dottore
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:57 am

Dottore wrote:Noel I honestly can't believe you never came across this problem....

Option 1: Fix the fenders, pain the tank and fenders...weather the tracks without glueing the tracks into a loop. pass the tracks (open chain) through the suspension and being gluable stick them once you have passed the tracks thru. You still run the risk of damaging delicate PE fenders this way...

Option 2: Paint and weather the tracks, glue them into a loop and attach to suspension BEFORE fixing the fenders. You can paint the upper hull and fenders separately and attach the fenders to the uper hull after ataching the tracks on the painted model. I have used this method mostly (on a pershing). Since the model is already painted i would recommend using a water soluble glue like Gator glue so if any glue seeps over the paint you can wipe it off with some water and a brush witout ruining the paint job.

Option 3: Similar as above but only paint and weather the LOWER hull and tracks. Upper hull and fenders are unpainted. Stick the tracks...attach the unpainted fenders to the rest of the unpainted upper hull. Mask the lower suspension (and tracks)and paint the camo on the tank. Probably this is your best choice.

Lastly the tracks can be glued to the return rollers with cyano glue, but I have read people putting in spacers at the top of the tracks to keep the track run down (hidden away from sight by the fenders).

What I would do..is use aftermarket link by link tracks (have loads can sponsor you a set)...get the right shape...weather and paint lower hull and tracks...mask lower hull and suspension...and paint the rest of the model...

Hope this helps...

Dottore

You may think that I'm taking the mickey and pulling your legs but HONESTLY I am moved by your response and COMPLETELY IGNORING the muck i've thrown and instigated to be thrown at you Sad

That's the spirit Doc Roe Laughing luv ya so much cheers

Ray affraid

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 pm