SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
AdriaN
jojjemannen
Joseph
iCocker
bcauchi
Ray
Gordon
11 posters

Hi all, I'm new here.

Hi all, I'm new here. Empty Hi all, I'm new here.

Post  Guest Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Hey guys, this is Yanov. Some of you already met me at the club two weeks ago. I was gonna pop over today but unfortunately I'm sick. Anyhow I'd like to introduce myself forum-wise.

My name's Yanov (yes, I am maltese despite my name.) and I'm from Naxxar. I'm 24 and work as a Graphic Designer at HSBC. I came to know about the club thanks to Duncan and Tancred. Smile

I'm into most type of scale models, but the larger they are, the more I like them. I'm a big fan of Metal Gear Solid which inspired me in a lot of things in life, including scale models. I am still new though and my previous model tryouts are pretty pathetic, lol. I'm hoping to get better though! I'm trying to learn techniques off you guys so I'm pretty much going to leech around. Smile

I'm currently looking for a second hand airbrush (preferably a badger or iwata) to start with... And a compressor to go with it.
    Gordon
    Gordon
    Gold
    Gold

Hi all, I'm new here. Empty Re: Hi all, I'm new here.

Post  Gordon Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:24 pm

Welcome Yanov

Post  Guest Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Gordon wrote:Welcome Yanov

Thanks Gordon!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Welcome forum-wise as you said Yanov Laughing

Anything you need just fire on and you'll find someone to help you for sure Twisted Evil

Irrelevant of how your previous work looks like, POST some of it in the finished models section! No one was born an accomplished modeller and no one will die so believe me, so go on let us see some of your "sweet monsters" on our forum I love you

bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:10 am

Welcome Yanov, yes let us see some of your work. What are you currently working on?
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:42 am

Welcome onboard Yanov!
    And we were discussing yesterday that video games ONLY create distruction from our hobby, might work opposite sometimes you got interested thanks to them ... so it's just a double edged sword!
    As for airbrush I do not really recommend you to buy a secondhand one, we just came from Euromilitaire and found out a new ecomnomical range by Badger that is quite solid and very good priced. There is also Paasche on the same level and alos value for money. I got myself an AIWATA, may be you are aware of that they are some of the best around but I do not recommend them as a first hand approach if you are not very userfriendly. Cleaning them is already just enough to get you frustrated, they are very precise but complex ... too complex!

Might you go and visit K-Hobbies of Fgura, Tony had advertised her that they had a good range of airbrush, from basic to high end. We recommend a double action one, gravity feed or side depends your choice.
    Ivan
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:59 am

Welcome on board Yanov,

Next Wed 6th October we will resume our forthnightly 'Aviation Modelling Workshops', so if you are intrested do attend and bring a kit with so that we will begin the construction from scratch. Also we will advice regarding the tools required etc. Eventually these workshops will also include airbrushing, so you are in for some intresting Wednesdays.
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:10 am

Hi Yanov,

And welcome to the forum.
    I would follow the recommendations of posting pictures of your work so far. I am still new (2 years in modeling) and Oliver is still laughing of the memory of my first model I brought to the club.

BTW, I'm the short guy.

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Ray wrote:Welcome forum-wise as you said Yanov Laughing

Anything you need just fire on and you'll find someone to help you for sure Twisted Evil

Irrelevant of how your previous work looks like, POST some of it in the finished models section! No one was born an accomplished modeller and no one will die so believe me, so go on let us see some of your "sweet monsters" on our forum I love you

Thanks Ray! Will do! Very Happy I still need to find these models though, they're somewhere in the basement, and it's been at least 2-3 years I think. Must be swimming in dust.

bcauchi wrote:Welcome Yanov, yes let us see some of your work. What are you currently working on?

Thanks! Haven't really started on anything so far but I've got a lot of unassambled Resin model kits... Some of them cost me quite a bit and I don't wish to start on them before I know I can do a good job on them. Maybe if I could make copies of them out of cast molding, that'd be perfect... It would even give me an excuse to try out different variants and practice.

iCocker wrote:Welcome onboard Yanov!
    And we were discussing yesterday that video games ONLY create distruction from our hobby, might work opposite sometimes you got interested thanks to them ... so it's just a double edged sword!
    As for airbrush I do not really recommend you to buy a secondhand one, we just came from Euromilitaire and found out a new ecomnomical range by Badger that is quite solid and very good priced. There is also Paasche on the same level and alos value for money. I got myself an AIWATA, may be you are aware of that they are some of the best around but I do not recommend them as a first hand approach if you are not very userfriendly. Cleaning them is already just enough to get you frustrated, they are very precise but complex ... too complex!

Might you go and visit K-Hobbies of Fgura, Tony had advertised her that they had a good range of airbrush, from basic to high end. We recommend a double action one, gravity feed or side depends your choice.
    Ivan

No way man, Video games are pretty much on the same level as movies nowadays! Smile Ah, your words are gonna force me to buy a brand new Iwata/Badger airbrush then... I was hoping to get a cheap one for practice since I'm a beginner... It'd suck if I found out I was hopeless at airbrushing after purchasing an expensive airbrush.

Joseph wrote:Welcome on board Yanov,

Next Wed 6th October we will resume our forthnightly 'Aviation Modelling Workshops', so if you are intrested do attend and bring a kit with so that we will begin the construction from scratch. Also we will advice regarding the tools required etc. Eventually these workshops will also include airbrushing, so you are in for some intresting Wednesdays.

Thanks mate, what time and whereabout is this workshop?

jojjemannen wrote:Hi Yanov,

And welcome to the forum.
    I would follow the recommendations of posting pictures of your work so far. I am still new (2 years in modeling) and Oliver is still laughing of the memory of my first model I brought to the club.

BTW, I'm the short guy.

Hey Tiny! Thanks! If you're short, then the rest of us are scale models compared to you. Haha.. ok that was a bit lame. Smile
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:04 pm

These workshops are delivered at our premises, i.e. 'SSM House' Sulphur Lane, Blata L-Bajda, behind Merlin Library. The time would be at about 19:00.

Hope to see you.

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:06 pm

Joseph wrote:These workshops are delivered at our premises, i.e. 'SSM House' Sulphur Lane, Blata L-Bajda, behind Merlin Library. The time would be at about 19:00.

Hope to see you.

Oh I've been there twice already, I never saw any work done though, just displaying finished work and ordering pizza. Wink

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:58 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:00 pm

J.Fenech wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:02 pm

Yanov wrote:
    Joseph wrote:These workshops are delivered at our premises, i.e. 'SSM House' Sulphur Lane, Blata L-Bajda, behind Merlin Library. The time would be at about 19:00.

Hope to see you.

Oh I've been there twice already, I never saw any work done though, just displaying finished work and ordering pizza. Wink

One thing I really enjoyed when I joined the club some years ago, is that advice is always happily given, and any critisim has always been very constructive and along with good company helped me make good progress.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:14 pm

I wudnt go for an expensive badger or iwata if your a beginner! you make one mistake (which you will) and bam! youve just busted a 200 euro airbrsh. first go for a cheap one. i got mine from ebay alongside a compressor and till this day i am STILL using it. its a double action bottom feed. works great, even though it was 1/3rd the price of an iwata! i have no intention of getting an expensive one.

Post  Guest Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:26 pm

J.Fenech wrote:
    Yanov wrote:

Hope to see you.

One thing I really enjoyed when I joined the club some years ago, is that advice is always happily given, and any critisim has always been very constructive and along with good company helped me make good progress.

Thanks! I'm trying to visit the club every week. Unfortunately I was sick yesterday and couldn't come over. I asked a bunch of questions and am kind of learning. I'm even researching a lot of tutorials on youtube. Thank god for the internet!

AdriaN wrote:I wudnt go for an expensive badger or iwata if your a beginner! you make one mistake (which you will) and bam! youve just busted a 200 euro airbrsh. first go for a cheap one. i got mine from ebay alongside a compressor and till this day i am STILL using it. its a double action bottom feed. works great, even though it was 1/3rd the price of an iwata! i have no intention of getting an expensive one.

Cheers mate!!
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:10 am

AdriaN wrote:I wudnt go for an expensive badger or iwata if your a beginner! you make one mistake (which you will) and bam! youve just busted a 200 euro airbrsh. first go for a cheap one. i got mine from ebay alongside a compressor and till this day i am STILL using it. its a double action bottom feed. works great, even though it was 1/3rd the price of an iwata! i have no intention of getting an expensive one.
    ADRAIN, THAT'S BECAUSE YOU NEVER TRIED A BRANDED AIRBRUSH tongue
    It's like cars they all look the same but a Mercedes is not a Maruti! lol!
    Joking apart BUT Yanov follow Adrian's advice start with a basic entry ... practise first, but do not forget to train yourself using the normal brush aswell!
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:06 am

iCocker wrote:
    ADRAIN, THAT'S BECAUSE YOU NEVER TRIED A BRANDED AIRBRUSH tongue
    It's like cars they all look the same but a Mercedes is not a Maruti! lol!
    Joking apart BUT Yanov follow Adrian's advice start with a basic entry ... practise first, but do not forget to train yourself using the normal brush aswell!

true i never did scratch scratch
    but he still shouldnt start with a profesional airbrush
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:23 pm

WELCOME YANOV......HAVE A LOOK AT WWW.SHESTO.CO.UK...VERY GOOD PRICES U CAN BUY ONLINE THE 100 XL COSTS ABOUT 32 STERLING...i ALREADY GOT SOME SPARES FOR MINE....AS YOU CAN BUY INDIVIDUAL SPARES AS WELL.....
    kLIEM IX XIEH ZOMM FIH LOL
    IN NANNU What a Face

Post  Guest Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:38 pm

ok, I can understand that you would not start with a professional airbrush and should not spend a fortune on an airbrush, especially if you are just begining, but a quick search on the web you can find a good airbrush for about 110$ + postage and packing. Just search the websites and check prices, you still can get a great airbrush at a reasonable price, and good enough to do a professional job and keep using the same one.

AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:02 pm

IN NANNU PEC wrote:WELCOME YANOV......HAVE A LOOK AT WWW.SHESTO.CO.UK...VERY GOOD PRICES U CAN BUY ONLINE THE 100 XL COSTS ABOUT 32 STERLING...i ALREADY GOT SOME SPARES FOR MINE....AS YOU CAN BUY INDIVIDUAL SPARES AS WELL.....
    kLIEM IX XIEH ZOMM FIH LOL
    IN NANNU What a Face

Nannu where is the 100XL?? i cant find it on the site
    David
    David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:14 pm

I would recommend a Paachee. VL

They are incredibly rugged

http://www.graphicair.co.uk/categories/Airbrushes/Paasche-Airbrushes/Paasche-VL--Double-Action-Airbrush/
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:16 am

Hi Yanov,

An alternative could be this one:

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_11_146&products_id=1110&osCsid=ca9c00c51d1750e83856274e6fc00356

It was highly praised by Marcus Nichols in a review on Tamiya Model Magazine and it's cheap.

See you at the club.

Tankred afro
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:48 pm

This is awesome ...
    http://www.drublair.com/comersus/store/tica.asp
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Unbelievable IVAN truly unbelievable.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm