SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Airbrushing Model Master Acrylics

Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Airbrushing Model Master Acrylics Empty Airbrushing Model Master Acrylics

Post  Wayne Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:47 am

Hi Guys,

Hopefully I'll be receiving my paint supplies some time this week (cannot wait!!) so i'll be able to continue where I left off with my models. Given that enamels are on the way out and that I'm fairly green using an airbrush, I decided to go with what most of you suggested and opted for acrylic (Model Master) paints.

Now I've been reading a lot on the net regarding how to use these paints with an airbrush and opinions vary a lot... some hate the things, others swear by them. Some thin these paints, others spray direct from the jar. Some have problems with the paint adhering to the model others can't seem to strip it even when they want to. Others say it dries too quickly and is prone to clog your airbrush. Pressure settings vary widely as well.

I'm trying to make some sense out of this and I guess the only way to really find out is to experiment myself. However, if any of you have any experience using these paints and has some useful tips/tricks you'd like to share it would be great.

Thanks

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Airbrushing Model Master Acrylics Empty Strange choice...

Post  Dottore Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:10 am

going for MM acrylics rather than the usual Tamiya (though not a strict acrylic) or the in fashion Valleyo acrylics....

Have to admit have no experience using them but I do have some of their paints and have sprayed a little using their own thinner with good effect...

Dottore
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Airbrushing Model Master Acrylics Empty Re: Airbrushing Model Master Acrylics

Post  iCocker Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 am

Wayne

I am acrylic user and as for brands first choice remain Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo [they are labeled acrylics but seems they are not exactly that] and ideal to mix with Iso propayn or better Tamiya Yellow cap laquer thinner.

Next inline are Lifcolour acrylics, you can use water or better still their special thinner.

Third goes to Vallejo Air. If using normal Vallejo you have to thin them well or else happy airbrush cleaning every 15mins!

The trick with acrylics is the mixture and pressure [low], and keep handy a travellers hairdryer [if you get orange peel due to thick mix or bad pressure you can solve the issue immediately]. At first you swear Wayne but when you get the feel you will never go back ...

Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Wayne Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:28 am

I must admit that I opted for Model Master simply because I got the feeling that they had the most authentic RLM colours. I read somewhere that Tamiya don't have the full range of RLM colours and I try to avoid mixing paints as much as I can (which might be considered to be a weakness)

Thanks for the tips though. I guess I'll go and buy a batch of plastic spoons to test airbrushing on them, I read this somewhere and seems to be a good idea.

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Airbrushing Model Master Acrylics Empty scrap models...

Post  Dottore Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 am

dont you have scrap models or old models to practice on?

Dottore
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:59 am

If you are keen on exact RLM or FS colours you might consider Lifecolours aswell, they have really good inscale mixes.

Personally I do not freak out on exact mixes, I just keep them as a guide and be near as much as possible, I have a motto that especially for material done on the field, different factories and during the peak of the war I guess there would be a human element in matching the exact mix. Mind you finally mixes were done depends what medium and how much medium they mixed the pigment with, so variations would surely be the norm ... that is me, probably as I do tanks, but I just quote what SHEP PAINE says, no two tanks were the same colour during his days in the USA army.

Ivan
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Wayne Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:59 am

[quote]dont you have scrap models or old models to practice on?

Dottore[quote]

Got rid of any I had long long ago. I just got back to the hobby so my scraps and bits box is virtually empty

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Wayne Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Got a delivery note from DHL yesterday!!!.. I should be getting Paints some time today cheers Perfect timing as I'm on leave these 2 days so I'll have some time to experiment.

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:34 pm

i used just one MM acrylic once, brush painted, i liked it very much!
    Besides enamels here and there, the only acrylics I use are the revell aqua paints.

Post  Guest Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:16 pm

AdriaN wrote:i used just one MM acrylic once, brush painted, i liked it very much!
    Besides enamels here and there, the only acrylics I use are the revell aqua paints.

I agree with yous in my experience it goes by mix ratio but you learn with time what the right mixture should be a load of factors go against you brand of paint make of airbrush used pressure you spray by and you could go on and on only experience over time teaches you
    many thanks Joe

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 am