SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Ray
skyhigh
iCocker
7 posters

World Expo 2014

iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

World Expo 2014 Empty World Expo 2014

Post  iCocker Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:37 pm

So here we go again ... North Italy got the favorite ... the message from President Horan ... no idea were Stresa is ... but near Milan me think ...

The results are in, and Stresa, Italy will host World Expo 2014. The vote was one of the closest ever, with a record high 39 votes submitted, with Stresa topping Monreale (Palermo) by a score of 22-16.

Now that the voting is complete, the hard work begins, as the Stresa organization will begin the process of organizing the second Expo in Italy. There will be more details forthcoming in the months ahead as websites are established and further show details are finalized.

The most frequent comment we heard concerning the two locations, was excitement that the modeling world will be returning to Italy in 2014, and the beautiful city of Stresa will be one of the most stunning locations ever for an Expo. The Stresa Expo will undoubtedly be a great show and party for modelers from all over the world. Please join Sheperd Paine, Fabio Nunnari and me in congratulating Gaetano Losa, Ugo Wylach and the Stresa group. We would also like to thank Vincenzo Macaluso and ACMAS for the superb Monreale proposal, which had a great amount of support in Europe and North America. An expo in Sicily would no doubt have been a great success, and hopefully one we may yet see in the future.

Please make plans to attend what promises to be a superb event. We hope to see you in Stresa in 2014!

Sheperd Paine
    Bill Horan
    Fabio Nunnari
    World Model Soldier Federation

World Expo 2014 Empty Re: World Expo 2014

Post  Guest Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Stresa is about 45 km NW from Milan Malpensa airport on the shores of the Lago Maggiore. Milan Linate airport is about 110km from Stresa. So I think that we need a flight to Milan and then a train to stresa. It looks to be less of a hassle to get there than the previous expo. Air Malta seems to operate a flight to Milan Linate, while if I used its website search properly, Ryan Air has only one option that lands in the piemonte region, that is Torino which is a further 125 km to the SW of Milan. The distance between Turin and stresa is about 113km

http://www.stresa.com/transports

p.s. - one thing I do not understand and a bit disappointing is that while the expo moved to another country it is geographically a mere 130 km to the south of montruex, last years expo site, basically next door. On a positive note, Stresa seems to be equally bueatiful

If the expo is going to be held in August, the cost of the hotels seem to ranging from 70 - 150 euros/night/twin room/3***, definitly cheaper than Montruex. Airmalta flight for next August is about 200 euros, cheaper as well. Obviously these are very rough estimates as they are for August 2012 not 2014!!
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:54 am

Unfortunetly the project of Palermo far outcried the Stresa one but again we fell the mercy of greedy clubs that just look that they just drive to the expo and have control of the situation. Though Stresa is near Malpenza it is still in the North were things are far more expensive and we have to see the logistic aspect of it aswell. Still surely it was not going to be near Swizerland but we might still be surprised especially regarding hotels ... unfortunetly this was a fight between North and South of Italy and we know especially in the figure modellers scene were tis will go ... another bravada I guess!

Ivan
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:41 am

So as I see it from your comments , this is not modeling but business as usual... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:08 pm

iCocker wrote:Unfortunetly the project of Palermo far outcried the Stresa one but again we fell the mercy of greedy clubs that just look that they just drive to the expo and have control of the situation. Though Stresa is near Malpenza it is still in the North were things are far more expensive and we have to see the logistic aspect of it aswell. Still surely it was not going to be near Swizerland but we might still be surprised especially regarding hotels ... unfortunetly this was a fight between North and South of Italy and we know especially in the figure modellers scene were tis will go ... another bravada I guess!

Ivan

Again, the SOUTH of Europe is Afrika Korps for the Northern Europeans Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

After Montreaux, I would have expected the Venue to MOVE not just HOP from shore to next shore Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect

Anyway, in ALL HONESTY, I HOPE against HOPES that WHOEVER & WHATEVER, MODELLING & MODELLERS's BLOOD & SWEAT WILL PREVAIL, again NO MATTER WHAT NO MATTER WHO cheers

Last but not least, now that this Venue issue is STAMPED & SEALED, let us SERIOUSLY CONTEMPLATE of ATTENDING AS THE BEST CLUB IN THE WORLD THAT WE REALLY ARE & MOVE BEYOND OUR "IPMS UK TERROR TO THE ENEMY" TITLE THAT WE'VE EARNED & EARN ANOTHER TITLE (whatever that might be) in the (WMSF) WORLD MODEL SOLDIER FEDERATION's RANKS??????

Don't take this jokingly my brothers, there will be LOTS of CLUBS up there, so take this as a serious challenge on ALL of US & OUR BELOVED CLUB's REPUTATION king king king king king king king

Viva l'SSM cheers
    GOD WILLS IT cheers

Last edited by Ray on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Gordon
    Gordon
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Gordon Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:44 pm

We start saving form now. lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Not a bad idea Gordon, infact a very wise idea Twisted Evil

10 Ewri weekly would get more or less 1250 Ewri till August 2014, so that would be a good launcing pad for this venue, what do you think Idea Arrow Question

Just opened a current account & put the first 10 Ewri in it cheers
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:08 pm

So on figurinitaly already there is the usual grumbling between North and South.

To look at the bright site here is the hall, looks professional enough http://www.stresacongressi.it/

My concern is that shall this be another WERome? When I sent the vote I had already expressed this view and why we Malta chosen Palermo. To give something back the organisation insists that from Girona onwards the competition has been covered by the WMF ... so we see if Italy will stand the challenge ...

I agree with Ray lets start saving ... this time we shall be back!

Iv

Post  Guest Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Come on guys, flight/accomodation seems it will not super expensive as it was last one in montruex. Just made a quick sum, quadruple room 3*** hotel on Bed and breakfast x 7 days 8-15 Aug 2012 = 800 euro + Airmalta flight range between 150 - 300 euro. Taking next summer as an example.

I think that the most viable option would be Airmalta - Milan Linate.
    Ryanair - land at Turin.
    Alitalia - lands at Malpensa, but it is a connection flight, from Malta - Rome, Rome - Malpensa, with average transit of 6+ hours, given that an average direct flight takes about 90+ mins

All this is just assumptions at this point, but just to have an idea of the cost and options. I think I will try to have a go for it, if we are still here after the 21st dec 2012 Twisted Evil
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:07 pm

J.Fenech wrote:Come on guys, flight/accomodation seems it will not super expensive as it was last one in montruex. Just made a quick sum, quadruple room 3*** hotel on Bed and breakfast x 7 days 8-15 Aug 2012 = 800 euro + Airmalta flight range between 150 - 300 euro. Taking next summer as an example.

Ryanair - land at Turin.
    Alitalia - lands at Malpensa, but it is a connection flight, from Malta - Rome, Rome - Malpensa, with average transit of 6+ hours, given that an average direct flight takes about 90+ mins

All this is just assumptions at this point, but just to have an idea of the cost and options. I think I will try to have a go for it, if we are still here after the 21st dec 2012 Twisted Evil

Joe I don't think so, as europe weather news ....ICE AGE is coming or just strated... pale pale

World Expo 2014 Tag10
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:30 am

Let the Ice Age come clown

It will keep us inside, modelling cheers

Joking apart, let us mark this venue on our modelling calendars Suspect
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:48 am

We have 2 yeras guys so I agree we should plan it well and go for it.

Having the Mondial back in Italy going to be well participated, especially by the mainland so we should expect a pleasant expo ... so lets start planning and saving.

As for Airlines, if Airmalta still exist and keep flying to Milan we should fly with them, they have good hand lagguage space ...

So lets start planning, plane guys this time try to make a comeback and show off your gems ...

Ivan

Post  Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:18 am

skyhigh wrote:
    J.Fenech wrote:Come on guys, flight/accomodation seems it will not super expensive as it was last one in montruex. Just made a quick sum, quadruple room 3*** hotel on Bed and breakfast x 7 days 8-15 Aug 2012 = 800 euro + Airmalta flight range between 150 - 300 euro. Taking next summer as an example.

Ryanair - land at Turin.

Joe I don't think so, as europe weather news ....ICE AGE is coming or just strated... pale pale

World Expo 2014 Tag10

Just as a small note - The winters of WWII were bloody colder than the usual winters, that is 70 years ago. It does not mean that an ice age is coming, more problem we will experience weather extremes.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:27 am

Ara veru latini ahna l-Mediterranji ...

http://www.soldatinari.it/joomla/index.php/forum/16-concorsi-e-mostre/49260-il-mondiale-2014-a-stresa
    http://www.figurinitaly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136627#post136627

North vs South alla grande!
    On a good note the Palermo expo seems to continue on the good footsteps and keep to be held annually ... we have another destination we can start considering guys!

Ivan
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:12 pm

The World Expo Stresa presentation, have to say at least this time the Italians will surely take away the saheful reminder of WERoma, looks interesting ...

http://www.figurinitaly.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=42051&d=1328439666

Post  Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:58 pm

I would have been happy with either Stresa or Palermo, and would try to go to either. We stopped by Stresa right after World Expo coming from Switzerland and saw the venue. It's a very nice building and well lit (and lots of natural light, depending on which room the miniatures are in). Stresa is indeed a beautiful town with lots of hotels close by. And there's a really good gelato shop... geek
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:09 pm

A beautiful location but we will need to remember to book early as the number of beds looks limited.

Having all the necessary attributes (and much more!) as presented in the presentation, Malta should consider one day of hosting the Expo Cool

Tankred afro
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:42 pm

I agree Tancred, as a country we have much to boast but have we the resources and man power to do it, NO ... so better attend and enjoy and leave the pressure on the organisation. I am still concered as the more I read the more it gives me the feeling that gonna be a repetition of Rome, nationalism at it's best! Hope I am wrong ...
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:13 am

Wendy wrote:I would have been happy with either Stresa or Palermo, and would try to go to either. We stopped by Stresa right after World Expo coming from Switzerland and saw the venue. It's a very nice building and well lit (and lots of natural light, depending on which room the miniatures are in). Stresa is indeed a beautiful town with lots of hotels close by. And there's a really good gelato shop... geek

I want to go to that GELATO shop too Razz
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:16 am

iCocker wrote:I agree Tancred, as a country we have much to boast but have we the resources and man power to do it, NO ... so better attend and enjoy and leave the pressure on the organisation. I am still concered as the more I read the more it gives me the feeling that gonna be a repetition of Rome, nationalism at it's best! Hope I am wrong ...

Oh NO NO NO....just CANNOT be another Roma 2002 Evil or Very Mad NO NO NO NO Evil or Very Mad

skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:29 am

Ray wrote:
    Wendy wrote:I would have been happy with either Stresa or Palermo, and would try to go to either. We stopped by Stresa right after World Expo coming from Switzerland and saw the venue. It's a very nice building and well lit (and lots of natural light, depending on which room the miniatures are in). Stresa is indeed a beautiful town with lots of hotels close by. And there's a really good gelato shop... geek

lol! lol! I want to go to that GELATO shop too lol! lol!

Post  Guest Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:58 am

skyhigh wrote:
    Ray wrote:

You will only have a GELATO when you finish a model Twisted Evil Twisted Evil . NO MODEL = NO GELATO Twisted Evil Twisted Evil lol! lol!
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Cornetto jiehu ... u ara kemm idum jilghaq subajh!

Post  Guest Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:18 pm

iCocker wrote:Cornetto jiehu ... u ara kemm idum jilghaq subajh!

Jekk mhux ha jibni mudell sa l-ahhar tas sena, lanqas 'cornetto' ma hu se jiehu!!! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Post  Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:44 pm

skyhigh wrote:
    Ray wrote:

Good to see we have similar priorities. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:50 am