World Expo 2014

    Share

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 3122
    Join date: 2009-07-21
    Age: 40
    Location: Marsascala, Malta

    World Expo 2014

    Post  iCocker on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:37 pm

    So here we go again ... North Italy got the favorite ... the message from President Horan ... no idea were Stresa is ... but near Milan me think ...

    The results are in, and Stresa, Italy will host World Expo 2014. The vote was one of the closest ever, with a record high 39 votes submitted, with Stresa topping Monreale (Palermo) by a score of 22-16.

    Now that the voting is complete, the hard work begins, as the Stresa organization will begin the process of organizing the second Expo in Italy. There will be more details forthcoming in the months ahead as websites are established and further show details are finalized.

    The most frequent comment we heard concerning the two locations, was excitement that the modeling world will be returning to Italy in 2014, and the beautiful city of Stresa will be one of the most stunning locations ever for an Expo. The Stresa Expo will undoubtedly be a great show and party for modelers from all over the world. Please join Sheperd Paine, Fabio Nunnari and me in congratulating Gaetano Losa, Ugo Wylach and the Stresa group. We would also like to thank Vincenzo Macaluso and ACMAS for the superb Monreale proposal, which had a great amount of support in Europe and North America. An expo in Sicily would no doubt have been a great success, and hopefully one we may yet see in the future.

    Please make plans to attend what promises to be a superb event. We hope to see you in Stresa in 2014!

    Sheperd Paine
    Bill Horan
    Fabio Nunnari
    World Model Soldier Federation

    J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 2047
    Join date: 2009-08-01
    Age: 40
    Location: MALTA - South

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  J.Fenech on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:48 pm

    Stresa is about 45 km NW from Milan Malpensa airport on the shores of the Lago Maggiore. Milan Linate airport is about 110km from Stresa. So I think that we need a flight to Milan and then a train to stresa. It looks to be less of a hassle to get there than the previous expo. Air Malta seems to operate a flight to Milan Linate, while if I used its website search properly, Ryan Air has only one option that lands in the piemonte region, that is Torino which is a further 125 km to the SW of Milan. The distance between Turin and stresa is about 113km

    http://www.stresa.com/transports

    p.s. - one thing I do not understand and a bit disappointing is that while the expo moved to another country it is geographically a mere 130 km to the south of montruex, last years expo site, basically next door. On a positive note, Stresa seems to be equally bueatiful

    If the expo is going to be held in August, the cost of the hotels seem to ranging from 70 - 150 euros/night/twin room/3***, definitly cheaper than Montruex. Airmalta flight for next August is about 200 euros, cheaper as well. Obviously these are very rough estimates as they are for August 2012 not 2014!!

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 3122
    Join date: 2009-07-21
    Age: 40
    Location: Marsascala, Malta

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  iCocker on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:54 am

    Unfortunetly the project of Palermo far outcried the Stresa one but again we fell the mercy of greedy clubs that just look that they just drive to the expo and have control of the situation. Though Stresa is near Malpenza it is still in the North were things are far more expensive and we have to see the logistic aspect of it aswell. Still surely it was not going to be near Swizerland but we might still be surprised especially regarding hotels ... unfortunetly this was a fight between North and South of Italy and we know especially in the figure modellers scene were tis will go ... another bravada I guess!

    Ivan

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 4404
    Join date: 2009-07-30
    Age: 53
    Location: Qormi, Malta

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  skyhigh on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:41 am

    So as I see it from your comments , this is not modeling but business as usual... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 5831
    Join date: 2009-07-21
    Age: 51
    Location: Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  Ray on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:08 pm

    iCocker wrote:Unfortunetly the project of Palermo far outcried the Stresa one but again we fell the mercy of greedy clubs that just look that they just drive to the expo and have control of the situation. Though Stresa is near Malpenza it is still in the North were things are far more expensive and we have to see the logistic aspect of it aswell. Still surely it was not going to be near Swizerland but we might still be surprised especially regarding hotels ... unfortunetly this was a fight between North and South of Italy and we know especially in the figure modellers scene were tis will go ... another bravada I guess!

    Ivan

    Again, the SOUTH of Europe is Afrika Korps for the Northern Europeans Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

    After Montreaux, I would have expected the Venue to MOVE not just HOP from shore to next shore Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect

    Anyway, in ALL HONESTY, I HOPE against HOPES that WHOEVER & WHATEVER, MODELLING & MODELLERS's BLOOD & SWEAT WILL PREVAIL, again NO MATTER WHAT NO MATTER WHO cheers

    Last but not least, now that this Venue issue is STAMPED & SEALED, let us SERIOUSLY CONTEMPLATE of ATTENDING AS THE BEST CLUB IN THE WORLD THAT WE REALLY ARE & MOVE BEYOND OUR "IPMS UK TERROR TO THE ENEMY" TITLE THAT WE'VE EARNED & EARN ANOTHER TITLE (whatever that might be) in the (WMSF) WORLD MODEL SOLDIER FEDERATION's RANKS??????

    Don't take this jokingly my brothers, there will be LOTS of CLUBS up there, so take this as a serious challenge on ALL of US & OUR BELOVED CLUB's REPUTATION king king king king king king king

    Viva l'SSM cheers
    GOD WILLS IT cheers


    Last edited by Ray on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

    Gordon
    Silver
    Silver

    Posts: 590
    Join date: 2009-07-23
    Age: 34
    Location: bormla

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  Gordon on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:44 pm

    We start saving form now. lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 5831
    Join date: 2009-07-21
    Age: 51
    Location: Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  Ray on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:48 pm

    Not a bad idea Gordon, infact a very wise idea Twisted Evil

    10 Ewri weekly would get more or less 1250 Ewri till August 2014, so that would be a good launcing pad for this venue, what do you think Idea Arrow Question

    Just opened a current account & put the first 10 Ewri in it cheers

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 3122
    Join date: 2009-07-21
    Age: 40
    Location: Marsascala, Malta

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  iCocker on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:08 pm

    So on figurinitaly already there is the usual grumbling between North and South.

    To look at the bright site here is the hall, looks professional enough http://www.stresacongressi.it/

    My concern is that shall this be another WERome? When I sent the vote I had already expressed this view and why we Malta chosen Palermo. To give something back the organisation insists that from Girona onwards the competition has been covered by the WMF ... so we see if Italy will stand the challenge ...

    I agree with Ray lets start saving ... this time we shall be back!

    Iv

    J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 2047
    Join date: 2009-08-01
    Age: 40
    Location: MALTA - South

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  J.Fenech on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:18 pm

    Come on guys, flight/accomodation seems it will not super expensive as it was last one in montruex. Just made a quick sum, quadruple room 3*** hotel on Bed and breakfast x 7 days 8-15 Aug 2012 = 800 euro + Airmalta flight range between 150 - 300 euro. Taking next summer as an example.

    I think that the most viable option would be Airmalta - Milan Linate.
    Ryanair - land at Turin.
    Alitalia - lands at Malpensa, but it is a connection flight, from Malta - Rome, Rome - Malpensa, with average transit of 6+ hours, given that an average direct flight takes about 90+ mins

    All this is just assumptions at this point, but just to have an idea of the cost and options. I think I will try to have a go for it, if we are still here after the 21st dec 2012 Twisted Evil

    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 4404
    Join date: 2009-07-30
    Age: 53
    Location: Qormi, Malta

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  skyhigh on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:07 pm

    J.Fenech wrote:Come on guys, flight/accomodation seems it will not super expensive as it was last one in montruex. Just made a quick sum, quadruple room 3*** hotel on Bed and breakfast x 7 days 8-15 Aug 2012 = 800 euro + Airmalta flight range between 150 - 300 euro. Taking next summer as an example.

    I think that the most viable option would be Airmalta - Milan Linate.
    Ryanair - land at Turin.
    Alitalia - lands at Malpensa, but it is a connection flight, from Malta - Rome, Rome - Malpensa, with average transit of 6+ hours, given that an average direct flight takes about 90+ mins

    All this is just assumptions at this point, but just to have an idea of the cost and options. I think I will try to have a go for it, if we are still here after the 21st dec 2012 Twisted Evil



    Joe I don't think so, as europe weather news ....ICE AGE is coming or just strated... pale pale




    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 5831
    Join date: 2009-07-21
    Age: 51
    Location: Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  Ray on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:30 am

    Let the Ice Age come clown

    It will keep us inside, modelling cheers

    Joking apart, let us mark this venue on our modelling calendars Suspect

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 3122
    Join date: 2009-07-21
    Age: 40
    Location: Marsascala, Malta

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  iCocker on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:48 am

    We have 2 yeras guys so I agree we should plan it well and go for it.

    Having the Mondial back in Italy going to be well participated, especially by the mainland so we should expect a pleasant expo ... so lets start planning and saving.

    As for Airlines, if Airmalta still exist and keep flying to Milan we should fly with them, they have good hand lagguage space ...

    So lets start planning, plane guys this time try to make a comeback and show off your gems ...

    Ivan

    J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 2047
    Join date: 2009-08-01
    Age: 40
    Location: MALTA - South

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  J.Fenech on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:18 am

    skyhigh wrote:
    J.Fenech wrote:Come on guys, flight/accomodation seems it will not super expensive as it was last one in montruex. Just made a quick sum, quadruple room 3*** hotel on Bed and breakfast x 7 days 8-15 Aug 2012 = 800 euro + Airmalta flight range between 150 - 300 euro. Taking next summer as an example.

    I think that the most viable option would be Airmalta - Milan Linate.
    Ryanair - land at Turin.
    Alitalia - lands at Malpensa, but it is a connection flight, from Malta - Rome, Rome - Malpensa, with average transit of 6+ hours, given that an average direct flight takes about 90+ mins

    All this is just assumptions at this point, but just to have an idea of the cost and options. I think I will try to have a go for it, if we are still here after the 21st dec 2012 Twisted Evil



    Joe I don't think so, as europe weather news ....ICE AGE is coming or just strated... pale pale






    Just as a small note - The winters of WWII were bloody colder than the usual winters, that is 70 years ago. It does not mean that an ice age is coming, more problem we will experience weather extremes.

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 3122
    Join date: 2009-07-21
    Age: 40
    Location: Marsascala, Malta

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  iCocker on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:27 am

    Ara veru latini ahna l-Mediterranji ...

    http://www.soldatinari.it/joomla/index.php/forum/16-concorsi-e-mostre/49260-il-mondiale-2014-a-stresa
    http://www.figurinitaly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136627#post136627

    North vs South alla grande!
    On a good note the Palermo expo seems to continue on the good footsteps and keep to be held annually ... we have another destination we can start considering guys!

    Ivan

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts: 3122
    Join date: 2009-07-21
    Age: 40
    Location: Marsascala, Malta

    Re: World Expo 2014

    Post  iCocker on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:12 pm

    The World Expo Stresa presentation, have to say at least this time the Italians will surely take away the saheful reminder of WERoma, looks interesting ...

    http://www.figurinitaly.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=42051&d=1328439666

      Current date/time is Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:59 am