• Reply to topic

My second model

Maxi_Model
Highly Commended
Highly Commended

My second model

Post  Maxi_Model on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Again,

Here is my second model, so far I'm still sticking to cheap models, since the first one did not come out as expected, so instead of ruining a very good and expensive model, I decided to go for another cheap one.

The model is a Tamiya 35020 Hanomag Sdkfz 251/1

I was thinking of painting it like this

Any suggestions before purchasing the paint.....

I would also like to find some internal photos for the details, but I couldn't find much, maybe I was looking in the wrong places...

Maxi_Model
Highly Commended
Highly Commended

Re: My second model

Post  Maxi_Model on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:49 pm

OK, so while assembling this model an idea came to my mind, I wanted to experiment a little on wrecks and destroyed vehicles, but I did not want to waste a model, not even if its a cheap one. So I decided to try and create one myself, simple, with not much details which will be half burried in rubble, showing some of its upper structure, where I will try the metal and rusting techniques I'm practicing.

These are a few photos of the copied halftrack I'm trying to scratch build, I'm new in this field but wanted to give it a try, if it goes wrong, it won't matter much since it will still be a wreck.

First cuttings

starting to assemble

this is teh progress so far, I will add some more of its body, like floor and front grill, then the doors and hatches and to avoid making the wheels and tracks, I will burry that part under the rubble.

At this point I'm trying to find out how to add the bolts and rivets, I looked for a couple of tutorials, and mostly were to cur some stretched spru into tiny pieces, but I noticed that these won't be the same size since they are hand cut, this will also apply to round rods, unless there is an inexpensive scale cutter which I donno about. I also saw the punch and die set, but the prices were mostly over 50 euros which I found a bit expensive for a couple of holes and some punches (which i doubt they will be hardened. The other thing I found out were the rivet transfers, but again, I don't think they will look authentic since they will be flat and also the price is pretty high for a small sheet.

Any more ideas or suggestions?

Thanks........

J.Fenech
Best in Show
Best in Show

Post  J.Fenech on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:24 am

Nice scratchbuilding, really like it!

in nannu pec
Best in Show
Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:34 am

like like like !!!!
IN nannu

bcauchi
Best in Show
Best in Show

Post  bcauchi on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Amazing work, it is really looking good. Well done, looking forward to this.

Maxi_Model
Highly Commended
Highly Commended

Post  Maxi_Model on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks for your comments, as already explained this scratch built will be part of a small diorama, and will be a wreck, and to avoid making wheels and tracks I will burry the lower half of this vehicle and also put some rubble inside it as it a building collapsed over it. I do not have extra wheels or tracks and donno how to make them, so that's why I will burry it.

the most important thing I'm looking for at the moment is rivets Razz

alexbb
Best in Show
Best in Show

Post  alexbb on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Maxi_Model
Highly Commended
Highly Commended

Post  Maxi_Model on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:46 pm

AWESOME!!!
Thanks

Maxi_Model
Highly Commended
Highly Commended

Post  Maxi_Model on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:18 pm

here I am again with a very little progress on this model.

In the little time I had, I managed to close the front part, added the inner floor, which needs a little more detailing (I wish to make is a diamond pattern steel floor), made the front hatches and back doors.

I also tried to add some rivets, but I gave up as they were not getting the same size when I cut them and so I stopped till I try the tool Alex suggested Very Happy

Maxi_Model
Highly Commended
Highly Commended

Post  Maxi_Model on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:49 pm

So far I'm still trying to make this tool to punch out the rivets (when I find some time ) but now I came across another hurdle which to most of you is easy, to me its still a new world.

I want to create some parts and for this I guess I will need to cast in resin. Any suggestions for resin packs with casting material, purchase local or from abroad?

I the mean time I tried my own experiments and here are the horrible results Razz

These were made with play dough and hot glue gun, what came through my mind at that time.

As worn tyres they don't look that bad, but the hub/rim looks hopeless, anyway this will be destined for a wreck, so covered with some rubble they might also work.

Maxi_Model
Highly Commended
Highly Commended

Post  Maxi_Model on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Is there anyone that can tell me if I can find locally, resin packs with casting material? I would like to use resin to make some parts.

In the meantime, till I wait for my mind to decide what to do for the rivets, I decided to work on something else so the work won't come to a halt. But it seems that everything I start touching regarding details, have to come to a halt.

I started working on the interior, not that I am going to detail it much, but I wasnted to give it some.

I started with the non slip floor plate which I moulded directly on the plasticard and then switched to the benches , I wanted to put some worn leather cushioning, even though this will be a wreck leather can take time before it completely disintegrates.

I started with the following, but some commented it looks like a chocolate bar Smile

then someone else told me they look like flat sausages

then I tried to lighten them a little, so far I got no comments on these, but still expecting some.

I now got puzzled and cannot understand what is wrong, if the shap, the colour or both.......

Any help in creating leather seating (mostly worn) would be appriciated..

Thanks

Dottore
Gold
Gold

I'm no expert on the subject...

Post  Dottore on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:04 am

Unlike the figgy painters...but I believe the best leather effect is obtained using oils...it gives that unique sheen leather has....

Just a pointer...

Dottore

Maxi_Model
Highly Commended
Highly Commended

Post  Maxi_Model on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:21 am

that is oil paint I used, maybe its the way that I applied it that's wrong?

bcauchi
Best in Show
Best in Show

Post  bcauchi on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Just my 2 cents worth, i think you got the shape right but those are not the correct colours to use for leather. Besides, would those seats have been in leather or a covering like canvas? I doubt whether leather woudl have been used for those seats, more like a canvas covering.

Maxi_Model
Highly Commended
Highly Commended

Post  Maxi_Model on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:48 pm

by canvas you mean the impermiable material or the strong pourous bag material?

Also I found a couple of photos which show them as leather, that's why I made them like so. could be they were restored or something, since I also found photots with wooden benches

And from what I know leather is more fire & weather resistant then canvas
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:19 am