SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
iCocker
RayCaruana
6 posters

Warlord Games new Pike and Shotte Set in plastic 28mm - Cuirassiers

RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Warlord Games new Pike and Shotte Set in plastic 28mm - Cuirassiers Empty Warlord Games new Pike and Shotte Set in plastic 28mm - Cuirassiers

Post  RayCaruana Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:00 pm

This is the box art for the Warlord Games Cuirassiers set in 28mm plastic due to be released soon.

Ivan, do you think they can be used for a Maltese (Knights of St.John Cavalry) subject?

Warlord Games new Pike and Shotte Set in plastic 28mm - Cuirassiers Cuiras11
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Warlord Games new Pike and Shotte Set in plastic 28mm - Cuirassiers Empty Re: Warlord Games new Pike and Shotte Set in plastic 28mm - Cuirassiers

Post  iCocker Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:17 pm

At our Armoury we have a very nice collection of Curaissiers suites, including the totenkopf helmets. looked like death heads skulls ... why they invested in a cavalry unit is very strange to me as apart from some raizzias and occasional deployment with forign armies the Hospitallers never saw land action while in Malta

Ivan
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Warlord Games new Pike and Shotte Set in plastic 28mm - Cuirassiers Empty Re: Warlord Games new Pike and Shotte Set in plastic 28mm - Cuirassiers

Post  RayCaruana Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

I read somewhere that they had a cavalry stationed in Mdina. Am I right when I say that it was used to attack the Ottoman camp pitched at Marsa? Do you think the armour style of this set is close enough to the Hospitallers of that time? I know, I should do the research myself (which I will certainly do)not have it served on a plate Embarassed but I'd like to have your view as well and maybe insigate some discussion.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Great topic Laughing

I'll be lurking behind you for sure ready to snatch the tit bits for later use as I intend to depict a mounted Knight of St.John at the time of the seige Twisted Evil

Ray affraid
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:18 pm

What an interesting subject, i look forward to seeing your knight Ray.
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:30 pm

I STAND TO BE CORRECTED BUT CAVALRY DURING THE TIMES OF THE KNIGHTS CONSISTED OF HEAVY AND LIGHT MALTESE UNITS THE HEAVY BEING FORMED AND COMMANDED MAINLY BY THE LOCAL NOBILITY AND THE LIGHT FORMED BY WEALTHY LAND OWNERS AND BUSINESS MAN WHO PAID FOR THE REGIMENTS UPKEEP. IVAN CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:33 pm

RayCaruana wrote:This is the box art for the Warlord Games Cuirassiers set in 28mm plastic due to be released soon.

Ivan, do you think they can be used for a Maltese (Knights of St.John Cavalry) subject?

Warlord Games new Pike and Shotte Set in plastic 28mm - Cuirassiers Cuiras11

RAY THESE ARE MID 17TH CENTURY AND ARE QUITE UNIVERSAL BUT CERTAINLY NOT SUITABLE FOR THE GREAT SEIGE PERIOD
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Post  RayCaruana Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:01 pm

alex wrote:
    RayCaruana wrote:This is the box art for the Warlord Games Cuirassiers set in 28mm plastic due to be released soon.

RAY THESE ARE MID 17TH CENTURY AND ARE QUITE UNIVERSAL BUT CERTAINLY NOT SUITABLE FOR THE GREAT SEIGE PERIOD

Thanks for the info Alex. It doesn't necessarily have to be the Great siege era, a small vignette of knights wearing ceremonial armour or something similar would still be interesting I think.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:23 pm

Alex was spot on, these are 17c style, RayC woulb be more ideal using them for some kind of parade or ceremony, being pomponous as they were the Knights took every oportunity to make some kind of ceremony ... Still I wonder why they invested in a heavy cavalry at that period when they were not involved in any kind of land warefare, probably was a show of force, as this kind of cavalry was in fashion at the period ... do not forget that during the Knight's rule Malta was one of the Mediterranean super powers ... economy and navy.

Ivan
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:59 pm

RAY SOME INFO ON THIS CAVALRY
    THE FIGURES DEPICTED IN THE BOX ART ARE MOST PROBABLY ROYALISTS. FOR ALL THOS OF YOU WHO ARE UNAWARE PIKE AND SHOT REFERS MAINLY TO THE ENGLISH CIVIL WAR 1641-51 BETWEEN THE ROYALISTS UNDER CHARLES THE 1ST AND PARLIAMENT LATER TO BE ABLY LED BY THE ONLY NON MONARCH EVER TO BE THE HEAD OF STATE OF THE U.K. I.E. OLIVER CROMWELL

THIS PERIOD IS INTERSTING FOR MANY REASONS, FIRST THE INTRODUCTION OF CONCENTRATED FIREPOWER ON THE BATTLEFIELD BUT MOST OF ALL BECAUSE THIS WAR WAS TO FORM THE FIRST FULLY PROFESIONAL MERITOCRACY BASED ARMY IN THE WORLD. THE PARLIAMENTERIAN NEW MODEL ARMY.

NOW FOR THE SET, THEY SEEM TO BE AS I SAID BEFORE ROYALIST CAVALIERS, THESE WHERE EXCELLENT WARRIORS WHO WHERE WEOPONMASTERS AND EXCELLENT HORSEMAN BUT AND THIS WAS TO BE THEIR DOWNFALL, BEING OF NOBLE ORIGINS DID NOT LIKE TO TAKE ORDERS AND HAD UTTER CONTEMPT FOR DISCIPLIN. THEIR ARROGANCE WAS TO BE THEIR UNMAKING. ONE THING WHICH IS BOTHERING ME ABOUT THIS SET IS THE PISTOLS. THEY SEEM TO BE FLINTLOCK AND I HAVE MY DOUBT. DAVID CAN CORRECT ME BUT SHOULDN'T THEY BE MATCHLOCK.
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Ottoman army were using Matchlock as early as 1440s and appeared in Europe in mid-1400

About 1630 the Flintlock replaced earlier firearms.

Regards
    Noel
    RayCaruana
    RayCaruana
    Gold
    Gold

Post  RayCaruana Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:00 am

Thanks Alex and Noel re firearms. Very interesting.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 am