Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Share

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:09 pm

    Ok guys, can we get back to the Jap pls??? Mhux amiltuli hijack tat-thread!! Evil or Very Mad

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 3172
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 42
    Location : Marsascala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  iCocker on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:45 pm

    clioguy wrote:Ok guys, can we get back to the Jap pls??? Mhux amiltuli hijack tat-thread!! Evil or Very Mad

    Japs huma nies gejjien min gzira, ghandhom ghajnejhom igebdin ihobbu sushi u tajbin hafna fl-arti marzjali ... xi trid tkun taf aktar, whatever?

    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:48 pm

    iCocker wrote:
    clioguy wrote:Ok guys, can we get back to the Jap pls??? Mhux amiltuli hijack tat-thread!! Evil or Very Mad

    Japs huma nies gejjien min gzira, ghandhom ghajnejhom igebdin ihobbu sushi u tajbin hafna fl-arti marzjali ... xi trid tkun taf aktar, whatever?

    U GHANDHOM IL GEISHA U IL MANGA

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:58 pm

    insejtu sashimi, hentai, feng shui, u Nakajima

    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:44 pm

    ARA LETS TALK ABOUT THE OSCAR TOO MANY DEVIATIONS NOW
    lol!

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  Ray on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:59 pm

    How about the SAMURAI who most of them flew these birds pale ?

    J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2103
    Join date : 2009-08-01
    Age : 42
    Location : MALTA - South

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  J.Fenech on Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:42 pm

    Dottore wrote:once you go acrylic...you wont go back.

    Others in the club keep to acrylics cos they have a huge depot of enamel based paints and are opbviously reluctant to throw away....

    The colour vividity of acrylics is unmatched...dry faster and non toxic...

    Any advantages of enamels?

    Dottore


    I am an enamel fanatic Razz What a Face and I will not switch to acrylics as long as enamels are available, even having to go get them myself Twisted Evil and has nothing to do with existing stock.

    as for the advantages, I think you meant the advantages enamels have on acrylics Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

    J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2103
    Join date : 2009-08-01
    Age : 42
    Location : MALTA - South

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  J.Fenech on Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:54 pm

    clioguy wrote:insejtu sashimi, hentai, feng shui, u Nakajima

    and I am starting to wonder who is hijacking who lol! lol!

    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 3172
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 42
    Location : Marsascala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  iCocker on Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:57 pm

    J.Fenech wrote:
    Dottore wrote:once you go acrylic...you wont go back.

    Others in the club keep to acrylics cos they have a huge depot of enamel based paints and are opbviously reluctant to throw away....

    The colour vividity of acrylics is unmatched...dry faster and non toxic...

    Any advantages of enamels?

    Dottore


    I am an enamel fanatic Razz What a Face and I will not switch to acrylics as long as enamels are available, even having to go get them myself Twisted Evil and has nothing to do with existing stock.

    as for the advantages, I think you meant the advantages enamels have on acrylics Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

    No Joe, I do not agree. Both parties can do the same jobs, depend how you manage to master them. I do not feel one has an advantage on another on the finish and performance. The BEST advantage acrylics have is that they can dry faster and allow you further work and glazes. Apart they are durable to certain heavy weathering effects, especially if you go with alcahols and thinners, something enemels can't really do as they are made the same substance ... this is the same as in figures, there used to be fans for acrylics and used to be fans for oils, still no one outride the other, now who is sane gets the best out of the two!


    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:59 pm

    iCocker wrote:
    J.Fenech wrote:
    Dottore wrote:once you go acrylic...you wont go back.

    Others in the club keep to acrylics cos they have a huge depot of enamel based paints and are opbviously reluctant to throw away....

    The colour vividity of acrylics is unmatched...dry faster and non toxic...

    Any advantages of enamels?

    Dottore


    I am an enamel fanatic Razz What a Face and I will not switch to acrylics as long as enamels are available, even having to go get them myself Twisted Evil and has nothing to do with existing stock.

    as for the advantages, I think you meant the advantages enamels have on acrylics Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

    No Joe, I do not agree. Both parties can do the same jobs, depend how you manage to master them. I do not feel one has an advantage on another on the finish and performance. The BEST advantage acrylics have is that they can dry faster and allow you further work and glazes. Apart they are durable to certain heavy weathering effects, especially if you go with alcahols and thinners, something enemels can't really do as they are made the same substance ... this is the same as in figures, there used to be fans for acrylics and used to be fans for oils, still no one outride the other, now who is sane gets the best out of the two!


    and most important to us mud huggers its very resistant to our (mine especially) weathering

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:01 pm

    do you want me to move this to the Paints section instead??? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

    Vera 11 Sept., imma hijack bhal din ma stennejtiex!

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  Ray on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:35 pm

    clioguy wrote:do you want me to move this to the Paints section instead??? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

    Vera 11 Sept., imma hijack bhal din ma stennejtiex!

    Tassew you are an ADMIDISTRATOR so you can always "clean up" your thread from this unlawful hijacking lol!

    Isma shall we investigate who was/were the proper culprit/s lol! ?

    Qas haqq jehel kulhadd hux Sad

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:43 pm

    ma tarax mhux se naghmel pastazata bhal dik!! immur innehhi posts li ma fihom xejn hazin (hlief li qedin fit-topic hazin)

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  Ray on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:34 pm

    clioguy wrote:ma tarax mhux se naghmel pastazata bhal dik!! immur innehhi posts li ma fihom xejn hazin (hlief li qedin fit-topic hazin)

    Mhux tithahhomlhom fuq PAINTING.....Enamels/Oils or ACRYLICS....that is what I meant by "clean up" ta pale

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:35 pm

    Back to the original subject of the thread, OSCAR is now ready for it's gloss coat and panel lines weathering.... question is, do I still use OILS to weather the panel lines, or should I use something else? What about the colour of the wash, do I stick with burnt umber, or should I use another colour?

    Thanks!

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:08 pm

    Any help anyone on what I should use to highlight the panels? What type of wash? Oil, pastels, etc? What colours would suit best on the green and the bare silver?

    Thanks

    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 6102
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 53
    Location : Zurrieq MALTA

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  Ray on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:53 pm

    Mela you did not attend summer school Twisted Evil ?

    Joking apart, I'm LOST re this so I invite the non taitors to help you affraid

    Good luck bro pale

    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:02 pm

    clioguy wrote:Any help anyone on what I should use to highlight the panels? What type of wash? Oil, pastels, etc? What colours would suit best on the green and the bare silver?

    Thanks

    my opinion is that
    THE SHADING SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE BEFORE THE CHIPPING IM AFRAID.
    you can still apply some shading first by giving the panel lines a burnt umber oil wash/fill than by carefully airbrushing same burn umber oil wash mixed with some varnish around the panels

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:10 pm

    alex wrote:
    clioguy wrote:Any help anyone on what I should use to highlight the panels? What type of wash? Oil, pastels, etc? What colours would suit best on the green and the bare silver?

    Thanks

    my opinion is that
    THE SHADING SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE BEFORE THE CHIPPING IM AFRAID.
    you can still apply some shading first by giving the panel lines a burnt umber oil wash/fill than by carefully airbrushing same burn umber oil wash mixed with some varnish around the panels

    I have pre-shaded the panels prior to applying the IJA Green. What I meant is, what is best to fill the panel lines now? Burnt umber again? Also, this should be done AFTER applying the gloss varnish, right?

    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:17 pm

    sorry cant see them either the pics are a bit drk or most probably my eyesight is playng up again. it would be advisable to do it after varnish. just ask for more feedback from the wingy guys

    J.Fenech
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 2103
    Join date : 2009-08-01
    Age : 42
    Location : MALTA - South

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  J.Fenech on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:41 pm

    Definitely apply any washes on gloss surface only, otherwise they will get stuck to a matt surface, and you need to seal the colors for protection. I would not play with any shading at this stage as I feel it is a bit risky and might not get the desired effect but that is my opinion. My personal choice about the wash would be raw umber mixed with black, to get a dirty black. Whether you use oils or others it is up what you use as gloss varnish and your confidence. Today on the market there are ready made washes, example, promodeller washes, which are clay based, so they should not harm the paintwork, by I havent used them yet, so I cannot tell.

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:09 pm

    For the benefit of those who did not come at the club, here are some photos of the Nakajima KI-43-II Oscar. Hope you like it. The kit has some inaccuracies from my side, but overall I am quite happy with how it turned out....also because this is the first kit I completed since joining the club. I will take more care when doing the rest of my kits....










    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

    Posts : 1710
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 55

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  alexbb on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:40 pm

    ok i know i build afv's but i like heavy weathering on planes, i like this one but would have loved it if it was just a little dirtier in terms of grime, oilstains etc. none the less, i still think you did a great job of it

    ascomt
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 208
    Join date : 2009-08-17
    Age : 48
    Location : Zurrieq, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  ascomt on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:09 pm

    Good work Duncan...great finish.. I really like the "battered" look on the plane...it looks like it really went through hell

    so then....what's next ???


    Alex

    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

    Posts : 258
    Join date : 2009-07-23
    Age : 37
    Location : Marsaskala, Malta

    Re: Nakajima Ki-43-II Hyabusa (OSCAR)

    Post  clioguy on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:27 pm

    ascomt wrote:Good work Duncan...great finish.. I really like the "battered" look on the plane...it looks like it really went through hell

    so then....what's next ???


    Alex

    Currently working on an Aermacchi MB339PAN Frecce aircraft in 1/48. Started it about 3 yrs ago and never got around finishing it....I am also getting some help with it, as you can see in this thread >> here!

      Current date/time is Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:24 pm