SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
iCocker
David
William
bcauchi
Ray
skyhigh
jojjemannen
11 posters

Group build with a twist.

bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Group build with a twist. - Page 2 Empty Re: Group build with a twist.

Post  bcauchi Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:27 pm

Sounds brilliant and they can also help by supplying info in the form of maps, details and photos so that we might be faitful to how it exactly was. It would be great especially now since the area is so ruined that it is next to impossible to tell what was where and how the layout actually was. I think that we should go for it. We can produce it in sections and then bring them all together. If we decide on what scale to work in we can start.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Very sublime idea Ivan......Love it I love you cheers

I think it should be in 1/72nd scale if we have to make the whole airfield, which I still think would be enormous, so before we start anything we have to see with the MAMF what space they would provide once we hand it over to them!

Ray affraid
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Yes Yes Yes ....Ta Qali airfield ww2 ...yes Ivan that should be it...and after all it's one of the airfield that saw heavy air battles , and a lot of aircraft ...so let's start study study cheers
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Prosit guys, I think we should try this out again, as Ray hinted first better after we agree on a decision and feel that SSM go for it, we should consult the Foundation and see what space, how shall it be dispalyed and if it is [ideal] to be covered, so size and the budget of cover protection shall determine the overall dio ... might be no need to show it all, but make the essential parts as in 1/72 might be gigantic and size is an issue ... so it is up to discussion!

In the meantime I trust our Marco will surely sort out the idea, referances, historical period, aircraft, squadrons and colour schemes Smile

Ivan
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:47 pm

No problem my friend , some research and help from you guys we can make it ..and it's Malta history guys ..I love it... cheers
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:00 pm

skyhigh wrote:No problem my friend , some research and help from you guys we can make it ..and it's Malta history guys ..I love it... cheers

Holl xaghrek u gib iz-zejt eh re tropical schemes vs battle of Britain schemes Sad

Untie your hair and bring the oil eh re tropical schemes Vs battle of Britain schemes Sad

Ray affraid

Post  Guest Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:08 pm

Ray wrote:
    skyhigh wrote:No problem my friend , some research and help from you guys we can make it ..and it's Malta history guys ..I love it... cheers

Holl xaghrek u gib iz-zejt eh re tropical schemes vs battle of Britain schemes Sad

Untie your hair and bring the oil eh re tropical schemes Vs battle of Britain schemes Sad

Ray affraid

there is no battle of britain scheme Suspect , earth/green/sky is temperate land scheme Cool
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Heq ..the britisn only 1 or 2 schemes, not like the axis more colourful... cheers
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:04 pm

J.Fenech wrote:
    Ray wrote:

Ray affraid

there is no battle of britain scheme Suspect , earth/green/sky is temperate land scheme Cool

Embarassed Embarassed Oops Embarassed Embarassed x'jien gidra lol!

Ray affraid

Post  Guest Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:22 pm

le, le, ma intiex gidra, imma hafna jistaw jossogjaw dik l 'scheme' mal 'battle of britain'

Post  Guest Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 pm

skyhigh wrote:Heq ..the britisn only 1 or 2 schemes, not like the axis more colourful... cheers

but they still managed to loose the war, maybe they spent too much time on too much schemes? What a Face
    William
    William
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  William Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:31 pm

J.Fenech wrote:
    skyhigh wrote:Heq ..the britisn only 1 or 2 schemes, not like the axis more colourful... cheers

but they still managed to loose the war, maybe they spent too much time on too much schemes? What a Face

They had too much schemes yes, but most of them are very nice on models Smile
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:34 am

Iduskutejtuha l-ideja jew shelved bhas-soltu?
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:36 am

iCocker wrote:Iduskutejtuha l-ideja jew shelved bhas-soltu?

Qas waqafna NITKELLMU fuqha Sad

Ray affraid
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:56 am

Id-diskussjonijiet bomba ghalihom, qisna l-gvern imma mill-kliem ghall fatti.....
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Mela x'kienet il-konkluzjoni?
    David
    David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:03 pm

If I had to do ta Qali airfield or any other airfield I would do it in small scale in the region of 1/300 or even smaller so as to show the layout of the airfield huts pens and surrounding landmarks as chapels and roads.The terrain could be in fibreglass for durability and translucent. underneat would be partitioned and illuminated so when a visitor selects a button "aviation museum"the area will lit up.Other areas like the artisan park and football ground could also be selected. All this can be hung on the walls of the hangar without taking precious space for aircraft.There is space to do all the wartime and post war airfields and they do not require as much work at that scale

1 km in 1/72 is 13meters while in 1/300 its 3m

Just my suggestion
    D
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Makes sense, it is useless making a huge diorama which will take up undue space and will be difficult to manage, keep clean and maintain.
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:38 pm

This kind of discussion is healthy, very healthy as it keeps us focused on our aims and objectives, but we have to be realistic and practical in what we aim for.

My suggestion is: we must direct all our energy on HIS10 so tha again we will set up a memorable expo, then we start discussing HIS11 as next year SSM will be 30 years old and for sure we need to think on something extravagant for the 30th anniversary Smile.

When discussing these kind of dioramas we must ensure that we do not create a 'white elephant', first we must check what are the requirements and views of the entity where this is going to be displayed then we start planning.

In my opinion, I prefer to do a diorama depicting a part of a battlefield/airfield/port/drydock, whatever, in a scale that will show a bit of a detail and action rather than showing an area of ?squarekilometers of open fields full of micro organisms.

In the mean time keep on modelling so we will have a lot of new material for HIS10.

J
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:04 pm

I would tend to agree with David........ regarding the small scale. WHY?

1) It will be faster to build since less detail is involved. (Painting a 1/300 plane takes less time to finish than a 1/72
    2) More to look at since perspective is form a larger distance.
    3) Will attract more viewers, even those with no military interest........ like the wives, and nanna
    4) it can be an action diorama with ME109's making a sweep!

Nunnu Pec can do the figures..... he good at small scale!

Regards
    Noel
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:25 am

Yes let us concentrate on HIS 2010....and make it another success.....and add another feather to our cap.....
    Re 2011....yes agree there has to be something special to commemorate the 30 year anniversary....but I think we should cross the bridge when we come to it..and leave it be for the minute...so let's all work and concentrate our endeavours on this one first...
    In nannu pec What a Face
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:59 am

Keeping on the suggestions, I simply agree with Joseph, first and foremost better to concentrate on HIS2010, if need be sections are to create some kind of displays better to speak up ASAP before layout of expo is done, as already hinted be consice as this year we are restricted with space and size.

On the other hand if we are to plan something to remain our SSM memorial at the Museum, I think it should not be a small scale display, like a diminutive 3D map, we are renouned for our details and finishes so why not show them. Let us face it the whole runway is just an area filled with dead spaces, and apart that if need to be to showed there are much better aplications nowadys, like 3D computer generated design, etc etc taking less space ... what might be interested is just a busy area and we fill in with detail and history. It is not just putting a couple of Spits, and crew ... we need to show detail, the use of pens, squadrons etc etc ...

I think we should make somthing on this line, being 1/72 or 1/48, space permitting and does not need be 6m to be impressive! The hangar cries for something like this, we had always discussed that it is time to leave something to mark our presence more, we had many ideas in mind - to start a fund to be generated in a showcase or for any future restoration work, but I feel as a modelling club we need to leave our mark as a club, true we have our small space of models but still it is not a collective project.

Another idea is to check again with WirtArtna if the 'old' projects done by SSM are still available, might they are not to be used by them and again we regenerade them to current standards and display them at Ta Qali, it is a lose if these dios will be sent to Maghtab!

So guys let us plan something and as a club collective work ... and hope this materialise and not another shelved project.

Ivan

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm