SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
matilda
Ray
iCocker
7 posters

Malta Int. Airshow 2010

iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Malta Int. Airshow 2010 Empty Malta Int. Airshow 2010

Post  iCocker Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:06 pm

September 25, 26th - http://maltairshow.com/Home/tabid/239/language/en-US/Default.aspx
    Seems this year we have the Patrouille de France back, remind me of the good old airshow over the harbour! [at least not the Red Arrows again and again ...]
    Static and flying display till date, not that much enthusiasm for my personal taste, the usual Hawk, Tornado and Dutch F16, strange no Harriers Malta Int. Airshow 2010 Suspect ... been seeing these for the past decade but at least we see [hear] something that is feast to our eyes and music to our ears, and lets see how many the Times Bloggers from the airport area start grumbling about the noise!

Malta Int. Airshow 2010 Empty Re: Malta Int. Airshow 2010

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:34 am

This year and next year airshows are going to be average. 2013 marks the 20th anniversary from the first airshow organaised on our shores and that should be massive! Ho can you say the usual hawk , Tornado and F-16!! Do we see them everyday????
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:28 am

RAF wrote:This year and next year airshows are going to be average. 2013 marks the 20th anniversary from the first airshow organaised on our shores and that should be massive! Ho can you say the usual hawk , Tornado and F-16!! Do we see them everyday????

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Ikkalma Ton x'int shun dalghodu Laughing

iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:27 am

Tajba din kif ftaht l-AA Malta Int. Airshow 2010 Affraid ... isma Ton jekk tghodd kwazi 20 sena ta' Airshow jewillha kull sena rajnihom, sena wara l-ohra. L-unika tibdil li rajna ma' tul iz-zmien kien caqlieq min post ghal iehor fejn isir display minhabba xi erba bhahan li jibzu li jaqa xi wiehed fuqhom. Biss qatt ma hu ha jbiddel l-ewwel airshow, kullhadd min kien hemm fil-port jiftakar l-atmosfera, il-Phantom tal-Luftwaffe u l-Jaguar ... pero darba rajna MIG29, darba rajna B1, darba gew flypass l-israeliti, darba rajna Spitfire u Hurricane itir ...
    Kif ghidtlekk jien ma jdejquniex imma nahseb wasal iz-zmien li jkun hemm varjazjoni ghax saret stereotype ... nitamaw li sa 2013 l-affarijiet jirrangaw! Bhal kollox ftit bidla ma tghamilx problema ghax hawn Malta kwazi kollox irid jiehu aktar min 20 sena biex naraw caqlieqa ... FORSI!!!!!!

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:13 pm

RAF wrote:This year and next year airshows are going to be average. 2013 marks the 20th anniversary from the first airshow organaised on our shores and that should be massive! Ho can you say the usual hawk , Tornado and F-16!! Do we see them everyday????

I think you are right, not everyday but every airshow. If there ain't anything new this year I am staying home sat and sunday, just go watching them land/takeoff.

Ivan, as things are going, the harrier force is being reduced, so I have my doubts if we will see them again.

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:50 pm

What I want to tell you is that convincing an airforce to send a fighter for an airshow ( especially for Malta) is not an easy job!! And you have to consider that this job which is very risky as the airshow involves a lot of money is done only by volunteers me being one of them and the only things that we get from it are sweath and sun burn!!

I dont' bother watchin the F-16 , tornado, hawk every year even every day!!! Then if there's something different I'll consider it a bonus!!
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:20 pm

RAF wrote:What I want to tell you is that convincing an airforce to send a fighter for an airshow ( especially for Malta) is not an easy job!! And you have to consider that this job which is very risky as the airshow involves a lot of money is done only by volunteers me being one of them and the only things that we get from it are sweath and sun burn!!

I dont' bother watchin the F-16 , tornado, hawk every year even every day!!! Then if there's something different I'll consider it a bonus!!

Then do not complain that year after year the airshow gets lower gate money and less and less people coming in. This is like many things that happen in Malta, if the organisation is happy with what they get, it's fine. This is similar to Mtarfa Military Event, do you think many like me that enjoy viewing vehicles are happy to see jeeps year in year out, worst then that you go to see an event and end up seeing civilian vintage cars etc etc ...

Adrain, do not take it as a personal attack, but unfortunetly this style of organisation happens regularly, it happens to us [SSM] as well. When you market and organise something if predicting to be a success you have to cater for each individual that you expect to attract. Something on a national level, like an airshow needs further thinking and diversity then the stereo type we are used to get year in, year out.

Remember this is not something that caters for a niche market but it is a national event, do not expect that year after year if you get the same perfprmers you'll expect to keep the same patronage and audience? Less audience would mean less income and less attraction to sponsors ... and the story goes on!

And sorry the excuse of volantary work does not effect, if someone is inclined to organise something you are committed and arising expectations to your patrons ... I know it is hard, but no pain no gain! So we have to await till the 20th anniversary to get our expectations fullfilled?

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Antione, no disrepect intended, but I have a question, if today it is difficult to convince airforces to send fighters, what will be different in 2013? especially considering the present/future cutbacks in airforces, both in aircraft number and budget. This is if we are alive and earth has not been obliterated in 2012 Shocked

Post  Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:11 am

Joseph today insurances are very high. Some of the airforces pay their own fuel. Others charge you for their fuel. The red Arrows for example charge you for one display. Last year Breitling jet team cost us 35 000 Euros. I'm not mentioning the high ammounts of cost that the airshow involves like pilots accomodation, transport and food, Car hiring etc ect........... The difference is that strictly speaking we are saving money so that in 2013 we give the public a good airshow like the one's we used to have some years ago.

IVAN Pleasesssseeee you cannot compare the airshow with the mtarfa militry. You are comparing a huge event which believes me it involves hundreds of people with a small event.

In Malta we must thank God that we have an airshow. In Malta the airshow insurance is much higher than in other countries due to the fact that our airpoirt is an international one and it is used also for commercial purposes. Second our display is held very close to the buildings.

Also today many airforces have their aircrafts deployed in several countries and that alos affects aircraft participation.

Believe me guys the airshow is a big headache. I know people who do not sleep before the airshow. We are not talking about a few cents. We are speaking about a very high risk that involves thousands of euros and all we get back is grumbling and moaning and as I already said sweath and sun burn! Imagine if something goes wrong during the airshow. These people will be finished because of their hobby and their interest in bringing some fighters so that the public will have the opportunity to enjoy.

Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:13 am

RAF wrote:Joseph today insurances are very high. Some of the airforces pay their own fuel. Others charge you for their fuel. The red Arrows for example charge you for one display. Last year Breitling jet team cost us 35 000 Euros. I'm not mentioning the high ammounts of cost that the airshow involves like pilots accomodation, transport and food, Car hiring etc ect........... The difference is that strictly speaking we are saving money so that in 2013 we give the public a good airshow like the one's we used to have some years ago.

IVAN Pleasesssseeee you cannot compare the airshow with the mtarfa militry. You are comparing a huge event which believes me it involves hundreds of people with a small event.

In Malta we must thank God that we have an airshow. In Malta the airshow insurance is much higher than in other countries due to the fact that our airpoirt is an international one and it is used also for commercial purposes. Second our display is held very close to the buildings.

Also today many airforces have their aircrafts deployed in several countries and that alos affects aircraft participation.

Believe me guys the airshow is a big headache. I know people who do not sleep before the airshow. We are not talking about a few cents. We are speaking about a very high risk that involves thousands of euros and all we get back is grumbling and moaning and as I already said sweath and sun burn! Imagine if something goes wrong during the airshow. These people will be finished because of their hobby and their interest in bringing some fighters so that the public will have the opportunity to enjoy.

I like your reasoning Twisted Evil

Spoken like the true SSM brother you are, with HONESTY & PASSION I love you
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:22 am

Antoine I have never compared Mtarfa with the International Airshow, I just explained what I expect to see in both ...

Anything in Malta start with high points then we start slacking, because of one problem or another, lack of money and lists goes on ... if having this kind of track story I cannot predict what shall be the outcome for the 20th Anniversary as JF pointed out? The problem like anything done locally, if no professional or BIG enterprise invest in such an event by time it will start diminishing ... that is the reality in anything ...

The other option; that no organisation wants to do [wonder why?], instead of having tens of events spread around the year, all lacking some professionalism in it ... they reach an agreement to have a combined event and every sector would fork in his expertise. For sure we cannot make a BIG International Airshow or a Military Odessy or War and Peace like the Brits, but we can combine everything under one umbrella ...

Lets face it we have every piece of the puzzle, re-enactors, vehicles, restored aircraft, modellers etc etc but no one wants to make a combined event or a federation ... why?

Last edited by iCocker on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 am; edited 2 times in total
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:23 am

iCocker wrote:Adrain I have never compared Mtarfa with the International Airshow, I just explained what I expect to see in both ...

Anything in Malta start with high points then we start slacking, because of one problem or another, lack of money and lists goes on ... if having this kind of track story I cannot predict what shall be the outcome for the 20th Anniversary as JF pointed out? The problem like anything done locally, if no professional or BIG enterprise invest in such an event by time it will start diminishing ... that is the reality in anything ...

The other option; that no organisation wants to do [wonder why?], instead of having tens of events spread around the year, all lacking some professionalism in it ... they reach an agreement to have a combined event and every sector would fork in his expertise. For sure we cannot make an International Airshow or a Military Odessy or War and Peace like the Brits, but we can combine everything under one umbrella ...

Lets face it we have every piece of the puzzle, re-enactors, vehicles, restored aircraft, modellers etc etc but no one wants to make a combined event or a federation ... why?

Yes, that would be a great idea like the Trade Fair, or Amitex or Wedding Fair Sad or Tools Fair or anything of the similar genre, but as you said here in Malta we are unique Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
    matilda
    matilda
    Highly Commended
    Highly Commended

Post  matilda Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:51 pm

his name is not adrian but antoine Twisted Evil

Post  Guest Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:57 pm

matilda wrote:his name is not adrian but antoine Twisted Evil

I thought so, that his name was not Adrian Suspect
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 pm

matilda wrote:his name is not adrian but antoine Twisted Evil

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:44 am

Ivan, simple, just dont come Wink

In my opinion, a true aviation enthusiast will attend the airshow every year no matter what! i always pray to see an F16 even though it comes every year! better see an F16, then a light jet trainer! ex RIAT

Its not only malta which has gotten boring! its ALL OVER. hlief typhoons, f16s, spitfires, lancaster, gripens.. ma tarax! many times you get 2 f16s and 2 gripens of different airforces.

Speaking of which we are getting a (another, no complaints Very Happy) belgian F16 AND something new.... a formation flight of 2 harriers and tornados
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:14 am

That is the problem Adrain, I am reasoning with the mind of the mass that normally who the main income of such an event! How many true enthusiasts are in from the hundreds that enter ... FEW! How many enter as an outing MANY! How many come back again and again, year after year ... that is the question?
    I've been attending Malta's airshow when you were still with a nappy, I remember when we used to see over 40 military jets, when the F16 was just one of the atraction not like nowadays, getting to be the main star, alas still we had issues at that time when we were promised MIGs and A10s for years but at least we got F15s, B1s, a MIG29 and flypasses by F104 and an israeli entourage, those were the days and hope we get them back ... have seen the difference in these last years ... the problem is that such an event nowadays is getting impossible in this country, we can't be elites and doing everything for the enthusiasts ONLY ... sometimes you have to sacrifice and create diversisties to survive! You should no better due that you are a design/marketing student!
    I know the organisation tried to diversify, I recall when they tried to get in the car freaks when they pitched an upgarded Ferrari against an F16, but was not a wooow hit! Personally the last best effort was when we had the Merlins over Malta, joined with a set up of vehicles, re-enactors and the George Cross. But at least we know that in the future we might have back the old Airshow as it where! So good luck to the organisation ...
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:30 am

iCocker wrote:That is the problem Adrain, I am reasoning with the mind of the mass that normally who the main income of such an event! How many true enthusiasts are in from the hundreds that enter ... FEW! How many enter as an outing MANY! How many come back again and again, year after year ... that is the question?
    I've been attending Malta's airshow when you were still with a nappy, I remember when we used to see over 40 military jets, when the F16 was just one of the atraction not like nowadays, getting to be the main star, alas still we had issues at that time when we were promised MIGs and A10s for years but at least we got F15s, B1s, a MIG29 and flypasses by F104 and an israeli entourage, those were the days and hope we get them back ... have seen the difference in these last years ... the problem is that such an event nowadays is getting impossible in this country, we can't be elites and doing everything for the enthusiasts ONLY ... sometimes you have to sacrifice and create diversisties to survive! You should no better due that you are a design/marketing student!
    I know the organisation tried to diversify, I recall when they tried to get in the car freaks when they pitched an upgarded Ferrari against an F16, but was not a wooow hit! Personally the last best effort was when we had the Merlins over Malta, joined with a set up of vehicles, re-enactors and the George Cross. But at least we know that in the future we might have back the old Airshow as it where! So good luck to the organisation ...

*sarcasm* the only way to attract big ammounts of the general public is by lowering the entrance to 3 euro or less.. or free (yes that is what they expect) and by having free buffets, discounts, buy 1 get 1 free, bus rides from parking to static park, and enough shade to cover all the park!
    The MAS want the airshow to be its best and get the best of aircraft (obiviously) but due to things like war in iraq many aircraft (ex f15 and a10, italians and others) and costs, participation is poor. EVEN ABROAD

nappy? Surprised i remember the first airshow very well, i was 5, well beyond nappy era (ok maybe i wet me bed thats all) Sad
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:10 am

YOUR RIGHT!
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:46 pm

WE WILL SEE THE RESTORED TIGERMOTH FLY THIS AIRSHOW! first flight 22 or 23rd im not sure :S at the airport.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:31 pm

AdriaN wrote:WE WILL SEE THE RESTORED TIGERMOTH FLY THIS AIRSHOW! first flight 22 or 23rd im not sure :S at the airport.

Here is the first takeoff ... what a beauty! PROSIT Malta Aviation Museum!

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100923/local/biplane-takes-to-the-sky-after-10-year-restoration-project
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:18 pm

cheers cheers cheers
    Cyril.
    Cyril.
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Cyril. Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:48 pm

Three cheers to the Aviation Museum for their fantastic achievement with the Tiger Moth.
    Well done to all concerned. Very Happy Very Happy
    William
    William
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  William Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Went to the airshow yesterday, the moth didn't fly due to wind Sad Sad Sad
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:54 pm

William wrote:Went to the airshow yesterday, the moth didn't fly due to wind Sad Sad Sad

Went jew haduk Wil tongue

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am