SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Noel Petroni
bcauchi
harold stivala
iCocker
jojjemannen
alexbb
skyhigh
Ray
12 posters

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Empty Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

Post  iCocker Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:25 pm

alex wrote:
    iCocker wrote:Forgot to mention, those that are in love with white why instead diverse into a Teutonic one, they started off in the middleEast and were almost annihalated in the fall of Acre. That is white field with a latin black cross.

almost anhilated but their true demise was at the hands of the poles and latvians at the battle of tannenberg on the 15th july 1410. this part of european history is almost completely neglected by western historians. the poles and their nordic allies gave the arrogant teutons a lesson in warfare and courage and almost completely anhilated the teutinic army those that survived where ransomed for big sums of gold this made the teutonic order bankrupt with most of its surviving associates joining other religous orders.

now for the modeller polish knights, boyars and men at arms would make an interesting choice of subjects being a cross between western and eastern armour and equipment
    You are right Alex, Grunwald or Tannenberb 1410 was the last battle for the Teutonics, and stopped their expansion in Eastern Europe and finished of that once potent Order, but many neglect that they originated from Outremer aswell, and with a few Templers they made the last stand at Acre, which after this city fell to the Mameluks marking the end of the crusades in the holy land.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Empty Re: Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300

Post  Ray Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Saracen Helmet ready cheers

I was thinking of simulating Ivan's idea of a Saracen banner (part of) beneath the Knight's feet, obviously showing the moon crescent beneath the feet Twisted Evil but am saving the time, especially as it will be Red from top to bottom, and the idea of PAINTING a BLACK KNIGHT (thanks to Ivan) is at the back of my mind (u jekk taqbizli I'll get another one from Catania Evil or Very Mad) and he'll be ALL BLACK with the Red Saracen banner beneath his feet pale cheers

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur81

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur82

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur83

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur84
    Samwel18
    Samwel18
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Samwel18 Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:58 pm

Ray wrote:Saracen Helmet ready cheers

I was thinking of simulating Ivan's idea of a Saracen banner (part of) beneath the Knight's feet, obviously showing the moon crescent beneath the feet Twisted Evil but am saving the time, especially as it will be Red from top to bottom, and the idea of PAINTING a BLACK KNIGHT (thanks to Ivan) is at the back of my mind (u jekk taqbizli I'll get another one from Catania Evil or Very Mad) and he'll be ALL BLACK with the Red Saracen banner beneath his feet pale cheers

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur81

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur82

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur83

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur84

looool u'll get another 1 from Catania Very Happy

stress at it's best Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post  Guest Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:56 pm

I will be watching these masterpieces coming alive intently. Mine when I eventually start it will be red baring a resemblance to a certain character out of the latest Robin Hood film. Hardy
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:32 pm

So according to Ivan's research you should be quite accurate on this.

Red or black........ both will look nice!

Look forward to see the painting on this............. this year though!

Regards
    Noel
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:14 pm

Ah Ray, banners can be green and that compliment Red, go for it Ray! Red banners are more linked with the Ottoman Empire ... much later!

Hardy, how are you mate, we missed you this Euro! Love to see your rendition, is it another Lionhearth, as this is a late period figure ... do not fall in the film's trap, they used Bravehearth's props IMO!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:02 am

Hardy wrote:I will be watching these masterpieces coming alive intently. Mine when I eventually start it will be red baring a resemblance to a certain character out of the latest Robin Hood film. Hardy

Hardy how are you mate? Missed you at Folkestone Sad

We had the usual BLAST cheers

Hey why are you going to WAIT???????

Go on and start with us PLEASE over here on our forum for the forum's first group build, we'll be honoured to say the least to have you doing it with us cheers
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:04 am

Noel Petroni wrote:So according to Ivan's research you should be quite accurate on this.

Red or black........ both will look nice!

Look forward to see the painting on this............. this year though!

Regards
    Noel

Noel, he'll be ready for Catania PROMISE Twisted Evil
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 am

Ivan...yes I knew but I thought you won't notice, so I brought up the feeble excuse of the RED Banner Twisted Evil but NOW thanks to you, TEMPTATION GALORE Twisted Evil

Samwel, STRESS GALORE lol! if I had another one right now, I WOULD PAINT HIM WITH THIS ONE.....AGAIN REAL STRESS GALORE I KNOW lol!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Coif....rolled down Twisted Evil

A visit to the hairdresser next Laughing pale

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur85

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur87

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur88

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur89

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur90

Romeo's 90mm Knight Hospitaller c1300 - Page 2 Pictur91

iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Ray aren't you putting a quilted cotton coif, it was normal to have one under mail ?
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:26 pm

iCocker wrote:Ray aren't you putting a quilted cotton coif, it was normal to have one under mail ?

Are you SERIOUS or pale ?

I know but it will not show when the hair is done Evil or Very Mad
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:52 pm

Ah so you are going into a hairy brother! Check out 13c haircut style as it was quite distinctive! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1200%E2%80%931300_in_fashion
    Normally many sculptors overlook that fashion was not something from the 60s onwards ...

Post  Guest Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Head sitting is looking much better now and having a more natural look.
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 pm

i think it looks absolutely brilliant.
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:38 pm

Very nice sculpted face. He looks like a true veteran worrier!

Prosit!
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Beautifull work Ray , I thing I agree with you that you choose a complete head instead of the helmet, it's more professional...
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:20 pm

iCocker wrote:Ah so you are going into a hairy brother! Check out 13c haircut style as it was quite distinctive! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1200%E2%80%931300_in_fashion
    Normally many sculptors overlook that fashion was not something from the 60s onwards ...

[The clothing of royalty was set apart by its rich fabric and luxurious furs. Hair and beard were moderate in length, and men generally wore their hair in a "pageboy" style, curling under at necklength. Shoes were slightly pointed, and embroidered for royalty and higher clergy.[3]]

Copied and pasted the above the link you posted Ivan Twisted Evil

So hair was "curling under at necklength" which I take was longer then necklength since it curled inwards Laughing

A Miles Christi Brother in the Holy Land surely would not have curled the lower strands of his hair inward to keep his hair at neck length Evil or Very Mad so mine would be wearing his hair just a little longer then neck length Laughing

Hopefully, the hair as it is "growing" would give my Brother a distinctive appearance of SOMEONE we ALL SHOULD KNOW pale
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:28 pm

JF, Brian, Noel & Marco, thanks for looking and the interest.

Marco, I don't know exactly what you mean by "professional" but I take it that you are referring to a visible painted face would appear better then a visored/helmeted face pale

It would look just as great for a change to paint a helmeted version, even though with my slight adjustment/conversion/alteration, will make the piece unique and different from the rest Cool

I will still paint a helmeted version Twisted Evil pity I don't have one at the moment because I would get them both ready for Catania cheers
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:04 am

By the looks of his tattered surcoat being patched-up and torn, he either has no money or has been in battle for a week or so.

My point is that I don't think his hair needs to be nicely done as though with a blowdry with turned ends! Being under the helmet would make it look all scrafy!

Regards
    Noel
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:25 am

Noel Petroni wrote:By the looks of his tattered surcoat being patched-up and torn, he either has no money or has been in battle for a week or so.

My point is that I don't think his hair needs to be nicely done as though with a blowdry with turned ends! Being under the helmet would make it look all scrafy!

Regards
    Noel

My point exactly cheers
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Ray wrote:
    Noel Petroni wrote:By the looks of his tattered surcoat being patched-up and torn, he either has no money or has been in battle for a week or so.

Regards
    Noel

My point exactly cheers
    Not exactly scruffy but sweaty, a head with coif, mail and helmet is like a conventional oven, would be a challenge to get a wet look effect ... ejja Ray!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:39 pm

iCocker wrote:
    Ray wrote:

Regards
    Noel

My point exactly cheers
    Not exactly scruffy but sweaty, a head with coif, mail and helmet is like a conventional oven, would be a challenge to get a wet look effect ... ejja Ray!

Thanks for REMINDING me Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Joking apart, I never really contemplated on the wet look effect, since the "sheen" is obtained quite well with the satiny finish of the Vallejo's Shocked

And one has to be a WIZARD to conjure "sweat in scale" on anything smaller then 180mm at least Cool

But it is worth considering nonetheless Shocked
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Ray wrote:JF, Brian, Noel & Marco, thanks for looking and the interest.

Marco, I don't know exactly what you mean by "professional" but I take it that you are referring to a visible painted face would appear better then a visored/helmeted face pale

It would look just as great for a change to paint a helmeted version, even though with my slight adjustment/conversion/alteration, will make the piece unique and different from the rest Cool

I will still paint a helmeted version Twisted Evil pity I don't have one at the moment because I would get them both ready for Catania cheers

Exactly Ray that's what I mean, in my opinion it is moe challange to paint a face instead the helmet...
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Joking apart, I never really contemplated on the wet look effect, since the "sheen" is obtained quite well with the satiny finish of the Vallejo's

And one has to be a WIZARD to conjure "sweat in scale" on anything smaller then 180mm at least

But it is worth considering nonetheless

Ray, in my opinion, to get the sweat wet look as Ivan pointed out, you need to make hair strands attached to each other. Do you understand what I mean? When long hair sweats, it tends to attach itself together.

This effect alone will be a good base to than continue to bring out the wet effect with satin varnish. The sweat smell will be a challenge!

Regards
    Noel

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 am