SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
skyhigh
Ray
naimespseudos
bcauchi
Scirocco
9 posters

Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7

Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 Empty Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7

Post  Scirocco Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:19 pm

This kit is known for the extreme mistake Trumpeter made in the fuselage height. And as probably they will not redo it (Well, probably not until I finish it after a long long time!), I am trying to correct it and update it to the current in service version, the JH-7A. It has some differences from the FBC-1 the kit is supposed to represent, such as a one piece windscreen (which I will try to make from an Italeri Su-27), twin ventral fins, a wider chord vertical fin (probably a mistake as it seems the same as in the FBC-1) electronic countermeasures. I have ordered the Aires Spey nozzles for the Fujimi F-4K whose plastic nozzles will be donated to this one. Reshaping of the lower nose area underway after second layer of milliput. Any suggestions welcome!

Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8948_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8949_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8950_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8951_j10

And it should end something like this:
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 11865010
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 Empty Re: Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7

Post  bcauchi Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:34 am

What great looking aircraft you are choosing, that is another really nice model to build.
    naimespseudos
    naimespseudos

Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 Empty Re: Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7

Post  naimespseudos Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:24 am

Not common aircraft.
    I will suite your editing.
    Good continuation
    Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Scirocco Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:57 pm

I tried to fit the Su-27 windscreen but it's the wrong curvature, and too wide. I think that the closest fitting one piece windscreen would be from an Italeri/Revell BAe Hawk, problem is I don't have one spare and no one seems to make a vacform replacement for it! Anyone has one spare from this kit please.
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:38 am

If you don't manage to find, you can always hot form one yourself. Make a make mold using milliput or some other material and not form it.
    Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Scirocco Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Some progress but still more to modify. I had to move the tail fin rearwards, cut the parachute housing to lower it more towards the engine nozzles. The rear area in between the nozzles is being modified, and the Fujimi F-4K nozzles fitted in place nicely. The fences on the main wings were removed and the surfaces rescribed. Now I removed the tailplanes attachment points to lower them according to the photos.

Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8952_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8953_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8956_j10
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Lovely work looking really nice, neat and crisp, well done, considering all the work you had to do to this model. Keep it up, a truly excellent job.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Great work so far Gordon Twisted Evil keep the putty wet Shocked

Post  Guest Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Looking good so far, keep posting.
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:39 pm

You are doing a very good job Gordon welldone... cheers
    matilda
    matilda
    Highly Commended
    Highly Commended

Post  matilda Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:32 pm

hafna putty...
    ouch!
    and yes it is exotic and yes, it is nice airplane...

stevan
    Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Scirocco Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Some more progress. I hope that the outline now looks acceptable with the available photos on the internet. The undercarriage is a little on the thin side in the kit compared to the real aircraft but that has to do for now! Some more sanding on the fin and then to the cockpit (don't we always start at the cockpit Question ). I still have to remove the anti-flutter weights from the tailplanes as they are not on the production aircraft, only on the prototypes.

Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8966_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8968_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 15156510
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Wayne Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:30 pm

There may be lots of putty but it's turning out great.

Keep posting

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Scirocco Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Some more progress on this one as well. Made a windscreen for it which turned out to much easier then the Harbin's nose! Also reshaped a little bit the nose, but I will fill up the underside a little bit (Along the yellow line on the photo to make it look better. Presently I am reshaping one of the fuel tanks as it is also incorrectly shaped (along with nearly everything in this kit!). I have also added what I assumed to be RWR antennas on the fin.

Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8982_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8983_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 8985_j10
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:43 pm

welldone scirocco... cheers

Post  Guest Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Nice work!
    Wayne
    Wayne
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Wayne Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Looking prettier by the minute. Keep it up mate!

www.ScaleModelBench.com
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Excellent work, looking really nice!
    olivermifsud
    olivermifsud
    Highly Commended
    Highly Commended

Post  olivermifsud Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:06 am

keep it up excellent work
    Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Scirocco Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:06 pm

A few photos before the airbrushing stage. The corrected fuel tank is seen on the photo I used to correct the kit enlarged to scale on a photocopier. There are still more errors but I shall stop there and leave it as it is. It is much better proportioned than it originally was, and I'm happy with the overall shape as it is. The undercarriage is too thin, but I am not ready to make a new one from scratch!

On seeing these photos side by side, I will try to replace the windscreen with a longer one and sand off some from the top side of the nose cone as it is too curved. The Canopy is a little short and a bit too high which I am willing to correct.

Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 9144_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 15156511
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 9146_j10
    Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Scirocco Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:49 pm

After reshaping the nose and cockpit area, here it is now, airbrushed after a preshading session. I think that the grey I used, AMC grey, is a little dark compared to the Chinese AF examples (it lloked such a good match in the jar!), and the Navy versions are still a little lighter. I still have to retouch some of the engraved panel lines that I scribed as there are some over runs, and a little filler is needed on the tail as well.

Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 9190_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 9192_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 9195_j10
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Gordon it's already looking great.... cheers
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Now that the japanese and N.Koreans have stepped outside home and went to RIAT.. maybe the chinese will consider going to with this plane lol!
    Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Scirocco Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:44 pm

AdriaN wrote:Now that the japanese and N.Koreans have stepped outside home and went to RIAT.. maybe the chinese will consider going to with this plane lol!

They have much better planes than this one now!
    Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Scirocco Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Resrayed in Humbrol 40 (Gloss Gull Grey) which seems to be a much better match. I had to redo the preshading, but I left it in a more subtle effect, as all photos I found show well kept aircraft. I have noticed that I have to do some more sanding in front of the canopy as the anti glare panel revealed a humped port side. This one sure was an exercise in sanding and filling!
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 9202_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 9203_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 9205_j10
    Yet another horrible Trumpeter kit! Xian JH-7 9204_j10

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:09 am