SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
William
jojjemannen
skyhigh
RayCaruana
Ray
iCocker
Joseph
bcauchi
olivermifsud
Luke
alexbb
Dottore
16 posters

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED....

Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Empty Some Green background....

Post  Dottore Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:04 pm

the idea is to leave the black low liht slightly visible under the green base. Next up...highlighting....

Dottore

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 110

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 210

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 310

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 410

Excuse the poor images....
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Empty Re: Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED....

Post  alexbb Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:28 pm

LOOKING GOOD
    SO STOP IDLING AND CONTINUE THE GOOD WORK
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Empty Re: Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED....

Post  bcauchi Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:51 am

Looking really good so far. Excellent shading.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:03 pm

I am being the devil's advocate here, are you planning modulation or or just preshading effects.

The issue is that from the images it looks too monotone. The highlight areas are allover the same, especially the top turret and fenders area. Not a big issue these can be updated with some further work, like more darker filters in the lower parts and highlights on the turret. If you have boxes on the fender I rather put a dark colour underneath instead of highlights, the look would be much more natural. On another note the side panels of the turret are very good, the gradation is so smooth, PROSIT!

At this stage it is better a stage further that can be adjusted later then less, as it is difficult to rectify. But again depends what is your target for final presentation ...

Come on keep at it DOC!

Ivan
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Empty Intention....

Post  Dottore Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:35 pm

I am aiming for some shading effects but not a drastic highlight lowlight if you know what I mean...(wonder if I myself know what I eman!!!)

Thus Ill keep a dark shade lower turet side panels and lighter above, and highlights on the outer deck areas and higher tank points but definately not modulation as it is perceived these days....

Just realised I forgot to preshade the turret top with white for reverse stencilling the star in circle...CRAP!

Thanks for the constructive criticism Ivan!

Dottore
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:23 am

A little late Dottore but look at some goodies for Cromwells by BlackDog, the Hessian net is promising, though very late for this one, but again those metal amo boxes are a nice touch and would add some contrast and colour, check them out they have been posted over PMin site ...
    http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/newkitnews/blackdog.html
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:14 pm

lOOKING GOOD, but don't have to PANIC because if you keep the work flow steady you'll make it in time just the same Twisted Evil
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Empty TIME FOR SOME WEATHERING.....

Post  Dottore Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:57 am

OK I think i can put away the airbrush...just some minor touch-ups here and there left....
    I think I made a cross between overhead lighting and some modulation of the hatches and certain parts of the tank. Didnt want to go overboard and I went for a rather subtler finish than Ivan's BT but I'm quite happy over-all...
    Next up...decals...chipping...filters...pin washes...dusting....and putting all together...God willing I'll manage to finish in time for Euro...but it gonna be VERYYYY close....

Any comments welcome....

Dottore

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Tank_p10

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Tank_p11

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Tank_p12

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Tank_p13

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Tank_p14

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Tank_p15

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Tank_p16

Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:27 am

Looks great Doc Roe honestly I really like it a lot I love you
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:28 am

It is looking really great Doc. But i think that you lack a bit of highlights especially on the rear of the machine.
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:16 am

i like the tone of the colour. unfortunetly, recently we have been seeing award winning modellers doing away with authentic colours for the sake of visual impact, yours seems spot on
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:18 am

It is not my idea to change the colour but if there is fading of paint, it happens mostly on the upper flat surfaces, which are more subject to sunlight.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:42 am

bcauchi wrote:It is not my idea to change the colour but if there is fading of paint, it happens mostly on the upper flat surfaces, which are more subject to sunlight.

Brian most Cromwell's did not have the chance to fade, next step was to brew up on their first encounter with Tigers, Wittman was credited for quite a few silent , now here probably will have Alex coming up on the defence tongue

Going back to the model, Matthew I like a lot what you have done till date, regarding Brian's suggestion I think it is also good, especially if you are to leave the back area bare, but still colour contrast can be achieved with filters.

Maybe a little suggestion is the jerrycans need a total different filter then the tank. Remember tough these were supposed to be on the same hue they were probably done in different factories so mixes tend to be different, apart that tank was not overainted all with them included. Apart for artistic sake it gives some different contrast to an overall green beast!

Keep it going mate ...

Ivan
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:40 am

re what ivan said

he is right on all points except the brewing up bit, the cromwell accounted for more german tanks than the sherman on a percentage basis.
    i would paint jerry cans in olive drab. remember most jerrycans used by the british where u.s. or canadian produced. you even had olive coloured jerrycans in the middle east.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:24 am

Oh no Matthew has to use his OD stock !!!!!

Alex what I said about Cromwells is their performance against Tigers ... especially in Normandy after the infamous Wittman's solo bashing!

Ivan
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Empty Some answers...

Post  Dottore Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks for comments...

Jerry cans and other stuff are just base painted...they still need filtering and weathering where I can take the hue where I want basically...

I agree with Brian re engine deck...though the bad pics do not show there is some shadowing across panel lines...but I'm considering making it more drastic (as if I have so much time left hux)

Dottore
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:22 am

iCocker wrote:Oh no Matthew has to use his OD stock !!!!!

Alex what I said about Cromwells is their performance against Tigers ... especially in Normandy after the infamous Wittman's solo bashing!

Ivan

that is true unfortunetly it has to be said that wittmans demise came from a sherman albeit a british 17lb armed one.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:19 pm

alex wrote:
    iCocker wrote:Oh no Matthew has to use his OD stock !!!!!

Ivan

that is true unfortunetly it has to be said that wittmans demise came from a sherman albeit a british 17lb armed one.

Maybe, but as usual the airboys have also claimed the victory, sitting pretty in their cockpits ... I still think he was just ambushed by Fireflies, it is said that the one that hit him which if not mistaken was Canadian had no. 13, unlucky no eh?

What is sure the ace of aces fell, just a few days after the massacre his Tiger solo made of the Brits HQ!
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Empty Final highlights.....

Post  Dottore Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:23 pm

I accenuated further the highlights taking Brian's suggestion to heart (a hug for Brian here is obligatory) cos I feel the effect is much better now...I also aded furher highlights to the turret and stowage bins. No more airbrushing as I'm not after a too drastic effect...

Dottore

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 P1010010

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 P1010011

iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Looks better Mat,

Come on start filtering and weathering now ...

Ivan
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Nice smooth finish Doc, great base for weathering. bounce

Tankred afro
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:22 am

Brilliant Dottore. Looks much better. I am glad that my advice proved useful. We aircraft guys are good for something after all!! Come on now, let us see some weathering.
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 Empty MARKINGS AND WASHED DIRTY!

Post  Dottore Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:20 pm

For the firt time in my life I have had to use decals...and the dreaded thick Tamiya ones...on the whole they responded quite well to Mr Mark Setter and Softer (thanks Tiny). Particularly the turret star whch had to span a hue gap on the ventilator cover. No silvering on a mild satin coat. I did trim away the border decal film though on second thoughts it just made life more omplex and wasnt required. Pin wash has been applied...

Fire away any comments or sugestions as always!

Dottore

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 111

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 211

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 311

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 411

Cromwell and Centaur.....CROMWELL FINISHED.... - Page 4 510

Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Looks SPOT on Doc.....Welldone cheers
    alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:10 pm

looking the part. the overhead shot confirms this

BUT YOU STILL NEED TO HURRY UP

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:51 am