SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
iCocker
David
Joseph
Scirocco
clioguy
slingshot392
bcauchi
matilda
Dottore
skyhigh
Ray
AdriaN
16 posters

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72)

AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 Empty Re: Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72)

Post  AdriaN Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 pm

J.Fenech wrote:model master metalizers are great for metallic effects, but at least it happens to me, when masked, they have a tendency to come off with the masking tape, ruining the effect. Hope that this does not happen to you. Next time, try to work the other way round, leaving the metallics for the end.

I did not use metalizers for this. i used ordinary aluminum MM paint! it shudt peel.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 Empty Re: Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72)

Post  AdriaN Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:54 pm

SUCCESS! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I experimented with my new 'French Blue', mixing it with lufthansa blue, then white, then with all 3. And i got an exact blue shade as the decals blue. which saved me a lot of trouble because i was planning on mixing a blue shade, sticking the decals, masking over the decals and leaving the blue area bare and spraying over the blue with my new blue mix! *feeeew*

*blue may seem darker/brighter in pics because i took it at night under a neon*

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_7149

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_7154

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_7158
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:55 pm

NOOOOOOOO!
    Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad

I love acrylics... but somtimes i really hate them! (red and white)
    The white is the bloody victim here. as it came off it also pulled off the blue and red with it since it was the first colour to go on! A lot of carefull and tedious touching up to do!

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_7146

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_7148
    slingshot392
    slingshot392
    Silver
    Silver

Post  slingshot392 Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:51 pm

That was looking really good up until the tape pulled the paint off, hopefully it's an easy fix, keeping my fingers crossed. Very colorful fighter!

Not sure if I missed it if you said somewhere, you have the landing gear up, did you drill a hole for a pylon or are you going to hang it from the ceiling?

It's too late now, but maybe for your next one, another good alternative for an attractive looking aluminum finish that's really easy to do is Rub N Buff Silverleaf. It goes on easily and is pretty sturdy and can be polished up to a nice shine.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:22 am

slingshot392 wrote:That was looking really good up until the tape pulled the paint off, hopefully it's an easy fix, keeping my fingers crossed. Very colorful fighter!

Not sure if I missed it if you said somewhere, you have the landing gear up, did you drill a hole for a pylon or are you going to hang it from the ceiling?

It's too late now, but maybe for your next one, another good alternative for an attractive looking aluminum finish that's really easy to do is Rub N Buff Silverleaf. It goes on easily and is pretty sturdy and can be polished up to a nice shine.

Not really! its gonna be very tough since there is a lot of remasking, spraying, there are many tiny areas which need repainting, sanding down thick lines which were in contact with tape, ALSO the tape left sticky residue behind which i cant remove! Evil or Very Mad

Regarding the finish i am either gonna make a 'mini set up' with it on a stand with turf like the picture above OR on the ground with canopy covers.

It doesnt make sense giving it a polished bright aluminum finish since its of 1:72, and i dont want it too look like a toy!

Post  Guest Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:09 am

AdriaN wrote:
    slingshot392 wrote:That was looking really good up until the tape pulled the paint off, hopefully it's an easy fix, keeping my fingers crossed. Very colorful fighter!

Not really! its gonna be very tough since there is a lot of remasking, spraying, there are many tiny areas which need repainting, sanding down thick lines which were in contact with tape, ALSO the tape left sticky residue behind which i cant remove! Evil or Very Mad

Regarding the finish i am either gonna make a 'mini set up' with it on a stand with turf like the picture above OR on the ground with canopy covers.

It doesnt make sense giving it a polished bright aluminum finish since its of 1:72, and i dont want it too look like a toy!

I have found that 409 or other household cleaners will take off tape residue...
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:15 am

we dont have such stuff here in malta lol!
    I need something gentle that doest react with acrylic or enamel. i was thinking of leaving it in warm water with dish soap. or surgical spirit? scratch
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Don't give up Adrian, you are doing an excellent job, nothing that some skill and patience cannot fix. When you mask, try to use paper and paint one bit at a time, no tape, just hold a piece of paper down where you want the line and spray the paint. No glues and you will get a nice straight line. You can even wet it a bit to keep it down in place. You just have to work a bit fast and not spay over a large area.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:46 pm

bcauchi wrote:Don't give up Adrian, you are doing an excellent job, nothing that some skill and patience cannot fix. When you mask, try to use paper and paint one bit at a time, no tape, just hold a piece of paper down where you want the line and spray the paint. No glues and you will get a nice straight line. You can even wet it a bit to keep it down in place. You just have to work a bit fast and not spay over a large area.

thank you for that tip! Very Happy

Right now ive restarted touching up, using very little tape. just thin tamiya tape. The victim for lifting paint is the 'house hold' masking tape which i used, which had been stuck on for over than a month! After spraying i have a lot of little parts that i will brush paint on.

Any ideas on what i can use to remove the tape residue Brian?
    clioguy
    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  clioguy Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:28 pm

bcauchi wrote:Don't give up Adrian, you are doing an excellent job, nothing that some skill and patience cannot fix. When you mask, try to use paper and paint one bit at a time, no tape, just hold a piece of paper down where you want the line and spray the paint. No glues and you will get a nice straight line. You can even wet it a bit to keep it down in place. You just have to work a bit fast and not spay over a large area.

Now THAT is a great tip! Thanks for sharing Brian!
    Scirocco
    Scirocco
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Scirocco Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:14 pm

AdriaN wrote:

thank you for that tip! Very Happy

Right now ive restarted touching up, using very little tape. just thin tamiya tape. The victim for lifting paint is the 'house hold' masking tape which i used, which had been stuck on for over than a month! After spraying i have a lot of little parts that i will brush paint on.

Any ideas on what i can use to remove the tape residue Brian?

Adrian,

I have used a contact cleaner, named K6 bought from G&E electronics to remove tape residue especially from transparencies, and I it is great for that job (It is a little oily though and does not dry instantly). I have also used it on enamels and it seems to do them no harm, but I have never tried it on acrylics. Try a test before rubbing on any model though. I hope that helps.

Gordon.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:48 pm

IM BACK! Very Happy

This build has literally been christened... 'an accident waiting to happen' Twisted Evil
    Everytime i progress, something goes wrong! The problem isnt the kit.. but the complexity of the markings, alongside rotten bad luck. monkey

These are some of the problems:
    1) As we saw before i was plagued by peeling paint, which kept happening almost evertime i retouched the damaged parts. My solution (which worked) was to give the paint 2 coatings of future/klear... and no more paint peeled off! (around 95%)

*2) After all the delicate touching up... the aluminum finish was damaged. So i had to remask the 3 colours AGAIN Evil or Very Mad and spray silver this time. Aluminum looked too 'dotty'. I sprayed the silver & the finish came out full of different shades because of the polluted underyling surface (alum, black, plastic). So i wet sanded it all. primed it with gray paint & sprayed the silver-SUCCESS. Evil or Very Mad

3) When spraying the panels on the tail, some thinner on the tissue ate its way into the fresh silver! AGAIN i had to mask & resprayed the damaged area. again i made the same mistake of not priming the surface. Evil or Very Mad

This is it mentioned in no2. Sanded & REMASKED in prep for the silver.
    Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_7947
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:03 pm

The model has FINALLY been given 'a few' coatings of Klear/Future, in preperation for decals. If the decalling stage goes well... i will start believing in miracles Rolling Eyes

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_0582

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_0583

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_0588

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_0589

Post  Guest Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:27 am

So far seems good Adrian but you better wait for the others opinion. Maybe if you can bring it to the club they will help you better
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:39 am

RAF wrote:So far seems good Adrian but you better wait for the others opinion. Maybe if you can bring it to the club they will help you better

Ive already started decalling. its going well Very Happy i will bring it when they are done.
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Looking really great Adrian, it is a beauty and your masking is just excellent and the different colours look very well placed. In other words, i really like it.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:17 pm

bcauchi wrote:Looking really great Adrian, it is a beauty and your masking is just excellent and the different colours look very well placed. In other words, i really like it.

Im glad Very Happy the masking is an art in itself and tests your patience and skill to the limit.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Decalling ready! Very Happy
    They went on really well with aid from MM decal solvent solution. The model definetly looks fuller and more colourfull. Actually it looks more like a ''flying french flag'' with all those 3 coloured lines.
    It was a bit tough trying to line the decals up parallel. Decals were a bit thin so the white came out darker than the painted white. Sad

Next step is touching up, weathering, gloss coating, some light sanding...& figuring out its final set up!

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_0036

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_0035

Dassault MD-454 Mystere IV A ''Patrouille de France'' (Revell 1:72) - Page 2 IMG_0039
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Well done, excellent work.
    David
    David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Proset eh!
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Adrian, that is masterful work. it looks really great with all the lines perfectly aligned. That was not a colour scheme for the faint hearted. i think you did an excellent job. Could not have done better myself and considering all the problems you encountered, you sure came back on top. Great work.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:38 am

Embarassed Im glad you all like my work
    A lot still to go!
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:35 am

Belated mate, but Prosit with a capital P, very well done ... this kind of schemes are damn tricky!
    Maybe a tip I can give to solve the decal 'transparency' issue is to mask the area that is gonna be placed upon be given a base coat of white, but you have to live with the issue that it is almost impossible to replicate the exact colour of a printed matter and a painted matter, you might go near which IMHO you managed but never can be exact as the process of making for both materials is different!
    Well done again, nice to see a colourful subject ...

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Nicely done, well done! Let's see it finished
    Aldo
    Aldo
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Aldo Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Wow! That's some decal job alright.

Very nice work Ad.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:26 pm