SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Panel washing question

AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Panel washing question Empty Panel washing question

Post  AdriaN Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 am

Guys, i was wondering for those who use oils, what is your panel washing technique??
    I use the capillery method with some oil thinned with white spirit/turp. Some others cover the whole aircraft in the wash and rub off. But id rather not incase it reacts with the surface.

Latest problem ive been encountering is after the wash dries, rather than leaving a solid black line, im getting a dirty, uneven, very patchy, grainy, panel line. Sometimes it doesnt even show. if you look close enough you could see the paint particles. Should i give in another washing session? more oil paint in the mix? I do not want too much because the black would clash with the bright finish. Plus this model is a display aircraft.

Some part are dark, some barely have any pigment left
    Panel washing question IMG_0100

Panel washing question IMG_8137

Panel washing question IMG_8128

Very grainy finish
    Panel washing question IMG_8131

The worst of all
    Panel washing question IMG_8134

The model
    Panel washing question IMG_8138
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Panel washing question Empty Re: Panel washing question

Post  iCocker Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:26 pm

If you are getting haevy pigment residue most probably is due that or you are using poor quality oils or else you are not mixing well. Use Artist oil Turpentine or Artist White Spirits for better results, avoid using balck as the pigment is strong.
    To avoid the hassle I would recommend use the new range of AK Interactive washes which are enemel based ... http://www.ak-interactive.com/ or the trusted MIG Productions washes http://migproductionswebshop.com/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=b00d40deff057bc24d549fa82235b55c you are spoilt for choice at this golden age for weathering mate, both great products to use, apart you have always a good consistency ...
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:35 pm

I am using these
    Panel washing question 20-ml_carousel_large

If not black what shall i use?? some sort of dark gray?
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:47 pm

Personally I prefer browns, burnt umber or raw umber, and if you manage to find Rowney's Sepia depends the base colour, recently though I changed to AK and MIG products, easier and tonality is always consistant ... apart they dry matt, and that is a bonus for us landcrawlers ...
    As for artist oils never worked with Paebeo, but I guess it is a good brand, personally I have always worked with Windsor and Newton nad Mussini artist range [that is important] as the economical range has a lousy pigment that change colour by time.
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:06 pm

For panel line washes, I use W&N artist colours mixed with white spirit and I prefer burnt umber mixed with a bit of black. Always worked fine, remember that the extra wash you are noticing outside the panel line will go off once you fine sand the gloss finish before you apply the final coat of varnish.

Keep up the excellent work.

J
    David
    David
    Silver
    Silver

Post  David Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:33 pm

from what I can see in the close ups is the textured finish and shallow lines that's creating your problem. you can notice that the wash is filling in minute puddles and if you keep filling until they join you will end up with a wide and irregular panel line.

as a solution maybe if you use a lighter shade and better quality pigment might help but I don't dare suggest anything else seeing what you have been through.
    D

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:07 am