SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
slingshot392
Dottore
iCocker
Wayne
Tancred
bcauchi
in nannu pec
skyhigh
Iain
13 posters

Hello Malta!

skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Hello Malta! - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello Malta!

Post  skyhigh Tue May 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Iain wrote:Personally I love the sunshine/heat - but my wife doesn't - so early next year probably the best balance I can get agreement from 'higher authority' for... Smile

And besides, I'm spent up for this year as I'm flying around France with a buddy in an ex RAF SA Bulldog (and the rest of the flying club) at the end if June and I suspect we're going to burn a lot of fuel (and money to pay for it)!

Iain

Ah ha... now that is something else ... good luck then and wish you a lot of Happy flying hours.... Aviation comes first ... cheers
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Tue May 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Here in Malta we use to have a few ex RAF SA Bulldogs , if I'm not mistaken we had five of them .... and I think only one is still flying AS0023...

Hello Malta! - Page 2 Ukar110
    Iain
    Iain
    Commended
    Commended

Post  Iain Thu May 17, 2012 11:45 pm

If all goes to plan this is the aeroplane we'll be flying:

Hello Malta! - Page 2 Bulldog%20G-CBCB%20%20ex%20XX537.

Iain
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Fri May 18, 2012 6:23 am

Very nice scheme... cheers
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Fri May 18, 2012 7:42 am

What a cool bird Iain, looks great and as Marco said, the scheme is super.
    Iain
    Iain
    Commended
    Commended

Post  Iain Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi all,

Well - looks like if things go according to plan we'll be visiting Malta for the first time next month for two weeks (23rd Feb - 9th March) Smile

So - two questions:

a. Is there a club meet during that period - and if so can I visit Smile

b. Just booking flights/accommodation this week - anywhere we should avoid?

Iain

iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:50 pm

Avoid Sliema/St Julians area for sure, you just going to hit the election fever week, and here we are diehards on that! Thank God on the 10th of March you'll be again back to UK as it would be a nightmare, first there shall be tension, then for hours the roads shall be clear not seeing a soal then when teh results are out it would be a big noisy feasta for the winners ... but if I were you I would avoid this!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:23 pm

If there is a WEDNESDAY in between your arrival & departure, make sure that you visit us Iain Twisted Evil

The address is SSM House, Sulphur Lane, Gwardamangia.

With all due respect to Ivan, the places he mentioned might be "busy" but they also are Midway to almost everywhere in Malta & being touristic places you should find virtually "everything" withinn the area, except Historical buildings per se when compared to Valletta, Mdina or other "Older" Villages.

Looking forward for your visit Iain & if you need any assistance just fire on Twisted Evil
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Depends if Iain wants a quite ambience or a noisy one, but do not know why Bugibba area is always in love with the Brits Smile
    Iain
    Iain
    Commended
    Commended

Post  Iain Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:08 pm

What's Qawra like?

Iain
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:24 pm

Iain wrote:What's Qawra like?

Iain

Iain, Qawra is a touristic place as well & its further up North. You also find virtually everything there as well Twisted Evil drunken
    Iain
    Iain
    Commended
    Commended

Post  Iain Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Not too keen on doing the tourist scene - but I guess it doesn't matter too much where we're staying as we'll just be using it as a base to go explore.

As long as Qawra not too bad we'll probably be booking the hotel and flights tomorrow (found nice sounding hotel in Qawra at good price Smile).

Lots and lots of places I want to visit!!

Assuming I can get a bus over to a club night from Qawra - are club meets every Wednesday? Or is it worth hiring a car to get around?

Iain
    Paul Salomone
    Paul Salomone
    Gold
    Gold

Hello Malta! - Page 2 Empty Hello Malta

Post  Paul Salomone Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:02 am

Good morning Iain, Very Happy

Qawra is the optimum place to stay, as most of the hotels on the island are situated in that area, with lots of pubs, bars and restaurants. It's by the sea, so in the evenings you can even go for a walk by the sea. What a Face
    You will be able to attend two club meetings, and that will not be a problem at all, as I live some 10minutes away from Qawra, so I will be able to pick you up and go togather to the club.
    By the way, are you the guy who is posting the progress build kits of the HMS Hood on SPAR forums? affraid

Cheers.
    Iain
    Iain
    Commended
    Commended

Post  Iain Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 am

Hi Paul - yup - that's my Hood - not that I've made any progress on her!!

Many thanks for offer of lift - I'll let you know depending upon whether we have hire car.

Qawra it is - flights and hotel booked (Sunny Coast Resort - they got good reviews on TripAdvisor) - so will be in Malta from Fri 22nd Feb until Saturday 9th March Smile

We may be booking a Hire car - still undecided...

Visiting your island with my wife and 5 (almost 6) year old son and really looking forward to it. If anyone wants anything (airline friendly of course!) bringing over from UK please let me know!

Planned visits so far (in addition to visiting your club) include (in no particular order):

Aviation Museum
    Maritime Museum
    National War Museum
    Police Museum (relative was a rather unpopular Police Commissioner I believe - but please don't hold it against me! Sad )
    Great Grandmother's grave (we think it's near Gudja)
    Tal-Handaq - where my father was at school in the 50s
    Folklore Museum in Gozo
    Ta’ Kola Windmill
    Zebbug
    Valletta
    Palace Armoury

List is growing daily - but any suggestions/recommendations from you guys really appreciated!

Grazzi! Smile

Iain

alexbb
    alexbb
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  alexbb Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:46 am

Iain wrote:Hi Paul - yup - that's my Hood - not that I've made any progress on her!!

Many thanks for offer of lift - I'll let you know depending upon whether we have hire car.

Qawra it is - flights and hotel booked (Sunny Coast Resort - they got good reviews on TripAdvisor) - so will be in Malta from Fri 22nd Feb until Saturday 9th March Smile

We may be booking a Hire car - still undecided...

Visiting your island with my wife and 5 (almost 6) year old son and really looking forward to it. If anyone wants anything (airline friendly of course!) bringing over from UK please let me know!

Planned visits so far (in addition to visiting your club) include (in no particular order):

Aviation Museum
    Maritime Museum
    National War Museum
    Police Museum (relative was a rather unpopular Police Commissioner I believe - but please don't hold it against me! Sad )
    Great Grandmother's grave (we think it's near Gudja)
    Tal-Handaq - where my father was at school in the 50s
    Folklore Museum in Gozo
    Ta’ Kola Windmill
    Zebbug
    Valletta
    Palace Armoury

List is growing daily - but any suggestions/recommendations from you guys really appreciated!

Grazzi! Smile

Iain

i would suggest the NEOLITHIC TEMPLES the ones at hagar qim and imnadra in malta and il ggantija in gozo quite impressive
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 am

And how about St.John's Co Cathedral while in Valletta Twisted Evil
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 am

If you are seeking military heritage when in Vittoriosa pay a visit also to the WW2 Shelters at Covre Porte and also Fort Rinella, which is a living history museum, housing the last surviving massive Victorian gun and also some interesting artillery from WW1 and 2, apart the daily Victorian re-enactment and barracks. Daily the same guns at noon make a gun salute at the Upper Barraka Gardens in Valletta, a tradition from the British Empire ... these are some interesting features ...

By the way the Handaq is still used as a school, unfortunetly you might need a permit to pay a visit inside though ... so maybe try to get in contact with the Headmaster first, if I were you, recently has been reconverted again, so I doubt if much of the real British architecture is still there ...

Ivan
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:38 am

Iain wrote:Not too keen on doing the tourist scene - but I guess it doesn't matter too much where we're staying as we'll just be using it as a base to go explore.

As long as Qawra not too bad we'll probably be booking the hotel and flights tomorrow (found nice sounding hotel in Qawra at good price Smile).

Lots and lots of places I want to visit!!

Assuming I can get a bus over to a club night from Qawra - are club meets every Wednesday? Or is it worth hiring a car to get around?

Iain

Hi Iain....I live in Qawra....so no problem about transport to the club meet on wednesday....Smile Smile...I ;ll be your personal chauffeur Smile

in nannu Cool
    Iain
    Iain
    Commended
    Commended

Post  Iain Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Grazzi - list duly extended! Smile

Iain
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Hello Malta! - Page 2 Empty Sites...

Post  Dottore Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:16 pm

I hope your wife and son are museum enthusiasts too judging from the massively military oriented sites you have chosen Twisted Evil

I always go to museums and military sites alone...better than dragging along a nagging woman pale

Dottore
    Iain
    Iain
    Commended
    Commended

Post  Iain Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Point well made Dottore - but my son loves museums - and my wife is used to it.

In fact she'll be interested in most too - she's not into beaches, or shopping!

Are there public footpaths on Malta? Would like to do some walking/exploring if that's possible?

Sorry - I know - lots of questions - but I figure you get better info from people who live in a place than you'll ever get online, or in a guide book.

Iain
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi Iain, see you soon in Malta. I would not miss going to the Hypogeum too. As for a good rural walk one of the options is here http://www.majjistral.org/majjistral-org/HOME

Regards

Tankred afro
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:18 am

Tancred wrote:Hi Iain, see you soon in Malta. I would not miss going to the Hypogeum too. As for a good rural walk one of the options is here http://www.majjistral.org/majjistral-org/HOME

Regards

NB. to visit the Hypogeum you need to pre-book, they allow 80 visitors a day and bookings and pre-paid tickets are recommended. Visit heritagemalta site for further info.

Re footpaths, if you manage to go to our sister island Kemmuna it is an interesting little island which has some military architecture from the Knights period with minimal urban architecture and cemetry dating from Victorian era. You can take a boat trip near from where the Gozo Channel ship is taken.

Recommended is a hop on hop off bus which can take you or to the south or north areas, there are some off them which have included with the trip a harbour cruise which is so interesting, seeing Malta from the sea area.

Another interesting path is Busketto limits of Rabat, it is the only wood area surrounding the Palace of Verdala [now President summer residence] in Malta created by the Knights and as a hunting grounds. Mdina is another interesting footpath in the old historical city, it's a medeival citadel converted with a taste of baroque military architecture, a nice area to walk through with loads of museums and cafes, while there taste our traditional pastizzi, rikotta cheese or peas pastries and visit Fontanella gardens, the best cakes and sweets are found there Smile

Another intersting footpath is if you take the Gozo cliff area, it is a natural trail which is typical for our islands, taking the areas of Azure Window [which is a gigantic window in the cliffs naturally made] and the Gebla tal-General area is surely a wonderful site ... if you are a scuba diver that area is a natural habitat.

I think you need another trip to see all ... but you choose the right period, March is wonderful at least you'll see a lot greenary and sun!

Ivan

Last edited by iCocker on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:45 am

Hi Iain, I would love to meet you when you are here. give us a contact number where we can contact you maybe at the hotel where you will be staying.
    Iain
    Iain
    Commended
    Commended

Post  Iain Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:35 pm

Will be staying at Sunny Coast Resort, Quawra

http://www.sunnycoast.com.mt/ 00356 21572994

Need advice from you guys...

Is it worth hiring a car?

We can get a very reasonable rate - but I hear the buses are pretty good and we can get weekly go anywhere tickets?

Car would give us total freedom - but do most car parks charge and could it actually be a hindrance?

What would you do?

Iain

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:34 pm