SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Star Trek USS Crockett

slingshot392
    slingshot392
    Silver
    Silver

Star Trek USS Crockett Empty Star Trek USS Crockett

Post  slingshot392 Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:36 am

My AMT 18 inch Enterprise was just about finished, just some final sanding when the nacelle broke off. I decided to convert it to a Hermes scout class. I am doing the USS Crockett. Davy Crockett was a famous frontiersman in the early 1800s, here's a link about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett

Star Trek USS Crockett USS_Crockett_01

I sawed off the engineering hull from the neck and removed the pylon from the nacelle filling in any gaps left. I then sawed off the end of the nacelle in front of the radiators, turning the end cap 90° and gluing it back on and filling the seam with Bondo.

Star Trek USS Crockett USS_Crockett_02

I drilled two holes near the front of the nacelle, the front one going all the way through and glued two pieces of plastic tubing into the neck. After painting the front of the nacelle red and taping it off for the rest of the painting, I glued the nacelle in place. There were small gaps where I didn't saw it completely smooth, I used my Vallejo acrylic filler that has a needle nose applicator and squeezed a judicious amount into the gaps to thoroughly fill them and then scraped the excess away. I have found that that particular filler does not feather well at all, but for filling small gaps, I have found it works great and dries rock solid. I will then use a thin layer of Bondo to smooth it out.

Star Trek USS Crockett USS_Crockett_03

Star Trek USS Crockett USS_Crockett_04

Star Trek USS Crockett USS_Crockett_05
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Star Trek USS Crockett Empty Re: Star Trek USS Crockett

Post  bcauchi Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Looking good Brad, also ready for painting.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am