SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Joseph
Dottore
alexbb
in nannu pec
Alex Kontiveis
Ray
bcauchi
skyhigh
Noel Petroni
jojjemannen
14 posters

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version

jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 Empty Re: Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version

Post  jojjemannen Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:59 pm

It worked to mix X-21 and X-22, that gave the model a flat surface.

Did some pinwashes, but I have a question; All the pigments from the oilpaint was laying at the bottom and not mixed up good. Do I need to get another type of white spirit?

Currently I'm using the brand Mimeri, don't know if it the right one...
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 Empty Re: Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version

Post  Tancred Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:29 pm

I use Mig oils and Thinner for washes and found them very good. They also have ready made washes, have a look here.

Tankred afro
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:27 am

Tancred wrote:I use Mig oils and Thinner for washes and found them very good. They also have ready made washes, have a look here.

I think i'll might pick them up.

I noticed that I am afraid of the actual chipping process, I have problems envisioning all the steps to get there. I know hwo I would like it to look, but not how to get there.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:54 am

Tiny

To start with you need the essentials, Winsor n Newton Series 7 short bristle artist round brushes, 00 and 000 are enough. These are the best brushes around and do not look to anything else or similar apart these are the most expensive, available locally from VeeGeeBee in front of the KO theatre in CityGate Valletta. Then I suggest Vallejo German Camo Brown as a base colour for chips + base colour of tank + white [or equivalent on colour wheel] to highlight.

There are no basic tricks in these just the right dilution with water [milky like] and a steady hand. Practice make perfect ... work always in diluted paint and in layers.

Just I suggest to get your camera and roam around Malta and have a look at all the caterpillars and industrial engines around, notice the type of scratches and where they are situated. Unfortunetly tanks are not available locally, so next in line are industrial engines which being a country looking like one huge construction site are available near your next house corner probably ...

Keep them coming viking!

Ivan
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 Empty May I add....

Post  Dottore Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:54 pm

to what Ivan suggested....

To use enamels...especially if over an acrylic base....you can wipe away mistakes (supposedly). Forget wiping away mistakes with vallejo. Some advocate the use of oils for same reason...

When chipping try and do many minute tiny dots, merging some and not others. Easier to show then explain in words...and for heaven's sake ...EXPERIMENT on an old scrap not your latest model!!!!

Starting with a lighter version of the base coat I think is best...and filling in with a dark brown colour would produce a nice 3D effect...or else add a highlight after the deep chip....

Just some tips I found useful...

Dottore
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:01 pm

A quick way of adding scratches is with the use of pastel pencils. Here is a Stug I use for trying out things:

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 02510

This is an Umber Cretacolor Fine Art Pastel pencil. I hit and scratch the model randomly at the weld seam

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 02710

to get the following

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 02810

On the visor guard block

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 03010

The box already had some scratches:

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 03210

Put some more:

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 03310

Now I will use Dark Ochre:

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 03510

to add these:

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 03610

Will get them for you on Wednesday if you want so you can try them out.

Tankred afro
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 Empty scratches....

Post  Dottore Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Good general effect Tancred but I think they look too homogenous. Real scratches come in a variety of shapes and sizes...but after your method more smaller ones can be added by brush I guess...Also they tend to look raised rather than 'chipped' IMHO...

Go ahead and practice with a brush a scrap Tiny...dont be afraid just practice...

Dottore
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:38 pm

i think that it is an effective method and looks good and is quick to put in. Some do tend to be a bit homogenous and as dottore pointed out, there is a limit to how fine the chippings can be with that pencil.
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Personally I work two types of scratches effect, the first and fast one is with Valleyos or Andreas acrylic but as everything goes with acrylics you have to master the mixture and be a bit fast ... the other which has better control is what Dottore hinted, using humbrol enemels and artist oils, but you have to mix paint well not to get the gloss effect especially when using certain oil paints. OK there is always varnish for the rescue but that is something I like to avoid in my work ...
    On another note personaly I do not like to practice on scrap if not the exact model ... but then again everyone has his own way ... what can surely save you working on scrap is not to start the job allover again ... but I never learn! pig

Ivan
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:11 pm

iCocker wrote:Personally I work two types of scratches effect, the first and fast one is with Valleyos or Andreas acrylic but as everything goes with acrylics you have to master the mixture and be a bit fast ... the other which has better control is what Dottore hinted, using humbrol enemels and artist oils, but you have to mix paint well not to get the gloss effect especially when using certain oil paints. OK there is always varnish for the rescue but that is something I like to avoid in my work ...

That's true, but I hate enamels. Don't know why!

iCocker wrote:
    On another note personaly I do not like to practice on scrap if not the exact model ... but then again everyone has his own way ... what can surely save you working on scrap is not to start the job allover again ... but I never learn! pig

Ivan

What's the point in practice on a piece of scrap? affraid
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 Empty Practicing on a piece of scrap...

Post  Dottore Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:22 pm

saves you ruining your latest Dragon masterpeice....(which may have taken you 9 months to build and detail!!!)

Dottore
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:52 pm

Dottore wrote:saves you ruining your latest Dragon masterpeice....(which may have taken you 9 months to build and detail!!!)

Dottore

9? I started with it in March.. I'm not as slow as you dottore (Kisses and hugs on you buddy!) Razz
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:46 pm

OK. I'm back at the bench working slowly.
    But the fact is, IM BACK!

Will try to do some work and get it finished.
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 Empty Thats the spirit!!

Post  Dottore Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:08 am

Keep working mate!

Dottore
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Ok,

I need to wash it with soap and water before continuing.

I added (wrongly for a Ausf D) the Jerry Cans to the side just to see how it looks. What do you think?

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 _igp4510

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 _igp4511

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 _igp4512

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 _igp4513

Feedback is HIGHLY appreciated!
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Looking good Viking.....I like those jerry cans as they fill up just enough and not overpowering anywhere/anything Twisted Evil
    Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:00 pm

I like the jerry cans! Nice addition!

Why do you have to wash with soap and water to continue?

Regards
    Noel
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 Empty Echo Noel...

Post  Dottore Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:08 am

You usually (though I don't)wash with soap and water when u finish construction prior to painting to remove any? moulding residue...

Dottore

Noel Petroni
    Noel Petroni
    Gold
    Gold

Post  Noel Petroni Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:59 am

Dottore wrote:You usually (though I don't)wash with soap and water when u finish construction prior to painting to remove any? moulding residue...

Dottore

But Joseph's model is already painted....why do you need to wash it Joseph?
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:07 pm

its dusty.. and i want to remove that dust..
    jojjemannen
    jojjemannen
    Admin

Post  jojjemannen Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:14 pm

And I'm not happy about the color of the wooden parts.. Tips on what color to use to get it good?
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:11 am

Looking good, really nice work.
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Dragon 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf D - Production version - Page 3 Empty Wood...

Post  Dottore Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:11 am

Valleyo sand as base...stain with raw umber...and add wood grain with raw umber...

Dottore

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:27 am