SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
AdriaN
in nannu pec
skyhigh
William
Joseph
bcauchi
Ray
Luke
12 posters

Lightning T-4

AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Lightning T-4 - Page 2 Empty Re: Lightning T-4

Post  AdriaN Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:34 pm

alclad dont need polishing Wink
    Alex Kontiveis
    Alex Kontiveis
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Alex Kontiveis Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:09 am

I work with Alclad's exclusively.

I think its the ULTIMATE solution for great results. There many ways to achieve the desirable surface by using them in combination with the primer (Black Enamel Glossy).

I will wait for your final painting job.

PS..Alclad can be polished if you like so. Its recommended.

Post  Guest Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:41 pm

RAF wrote:For the bare metal areas I'm using testors metalizers range. Is alclad better?

Testors metallizers are good but as i found out, you cannot mask them without ruining the paintwork, so to do different panels is quite difficult. One thing alcad is certainly different than the metalizers is that you can safely mask (tamiya masking tape) and remove it without removing the paint. As i said I just used alcad on a quick trail and so far it was very promising and most likely going to switch to alcad for bare metal finishes.
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:20 pm

Downside: they are expensive (around 5euro) scratch

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2011 9:28 pm

Minor update in a very slow build, but one headache or part of it finally over, cut the kit plastic part and mated the resin conversion front and not that a good fit since the resin fuselage parts have different consistency.

Lightning T-4 - Page 2 Img_5619

Lightning T-4 - Page 2 Img_5710

Lightning T-4 - Page 2 Img_5711
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon May 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Does not look bad at all JF Twisted Evil
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Tue May 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Looks nice Joe but you might have some difficulty in getting a good finish when you try to blend the joint between the resin and the plastic, nothing major however.

Post  Guest Tue May 10, 2011 8:08 pm

bcauchi wrote:Looks nice Joe but you might have some difficulty in getting a good finish when you try to blend the joint between the resin and the plastic, nothing major however.

Thanks. It will definitly be difficult but still can be done. It will have to be perfect since it will be a natural metal finish Crying or Very sad
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Wed May 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Spray the entire fuselage with the grey primer filler and sand it down to a very smooth finish. That can be done even over the joint and then apply the bare metal finish over the grey. that is what i would do anyway. You can get a single smooth finish all over with the primer.
    Aldo
    Aldo
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Aldo Thu May 12, 2011 9:47 am

Nice surgical result on a very interesting project Joe.

Filling resin to plastic can be a pain - take care not to sand too much as resin may be softer than plastic and you could get an indent on the resin side. If you are still using milliput, you should have no sink problems when you apply the undercoat but keep this in mind. I have learnt from unhappy experiences.

Looking forward to seeing your version of Alclad - never used it myself as it doesn't exactly fall within my category but will try it out eventually.

Insomma, fantastic work as always Joe... and have not seen you since your TV appearance on Airborne - well done!!!

Post  Guest Fri May 13, 2011 9:09 am

bcauchi wrote:Spray the entire fuselage with the grey primer filler and sand it down to a very smooth finish. That can be done even over the joint and then apply the bare metal finish over the grey. that is what i would do anyway. You can get a single smooth finish all over with the primer.

Since I will be using alcad I will need a smooth glossy surface and to avoid nasty surprises will spray the entire surface in acrylic gloss black Crying or Very sad after check for all imperfections and hoping I don't miss some!!

Post  Guest Fri May 13, 2011 9:16 am

Aldo wrote:Nice surgical result on a very interesting project Joe.

Filling resin to plastic can be a pain - take care not to sand too much as resin may be softer than plastic and you could get an indent on the resin side. If you are still using milliput, you should have no sink problems when you apply the undercoat but keep this in mind. I have learnt from unhappy experiences.

Looking forward to seeing your version of Alclad - never used it myself as it doesn't exactly fall within my category but will try it out eventually.

Insomma, fantastic work as always Joe... and have not seen you since your TV appearance on Airborne - well done!!!

Thanks Aldo. As it turns out the airfix plastic is a bit on the sot side and the resin not so soft. Anyway, first filling sanding was not so bad, still to do more filling but on the good track. Since I have had a bit of mishaps with milliput I will leave the metallic finish for last, so that I will not apply much widespread masking.

I have used Alcad sparingly, and all I can say for now that you can mask it safely and not removing it alongside the masking tape, but found that you still need to seal it for safety as it still can be marked and found that spraying it in layers it better. One important thing is that all surface has to be glossy and properly cured, otherwise area with are a bit matt - trouble caused it react with the alcad solvent and shrink/lift up. On the other hand, you just open the bottle and spray in a well ventilated area - important.

I am still hiding after my performance on airborne cause of all the paparazzi chasing me!!Twisted Evil lol!
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Fri May 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Poor you Twisted Evil i was in your boots not long ago with the F84 Sad
    Alclad isnt invincible. it marks very easily with handling & masking can damage it. EVEN with gloss coatings over it, it still gets damaged Evil or Very Mad

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Just another small update, major assembly finished. The resin parts needed quite some filler to blend evreything in but nothing major. Panel lines need to be restored and on to first paint coat.

Lightning T-4 - Page 2 Img_5712
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon May 23, 2011 2:57 pm

I thought I was seeing double Shocked

I almost forgot they are two different projects Evil or Very Mad
    matilda
    matilda
    Highly Commended
    Highly Commended

Post  matilda Mon May 23, 2011 9:57 pm

JOe, nice one too...
    did'nt know lighting had side by side training version...
    stevan

Post  Guest Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Finally, starting appying the paint job. It will be a 56 Sqn RAF bird

Lightning T-4 - Page 2 Img_8312
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Is that pre shading showing through or did you post shade??

Post  Guest Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:02 pm

It is preshading with very dark red(added black to it). It is less visible in realty but the camera flash emphasized it more.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:25 pm