SSM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
jesmondc
Wayne
Dottore
clioguy
Cyril.
AdriaN
iCocker
Tancred
in nannu pec
skyhigh
Joseph
bcauchi
Ray
William
ascomt
19 posters

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2

ascomt
    ascomt
    Bronze
    Bronze

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Empty Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2

Post  ascomt Sat May 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Hello to Everyone

I decided to take the plunge and put in some details about this build that's going to be my next project.

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Vulcan12

Having seen it fly at RIAT2009 in Fairford last year was an amazing experience Exclamation . Even though the Avro Vulcan brought tears to us Maltese in the past with the unfortunate and terrible accident in 1975 at Zabbar, one cannot deny that this massive aircraft is a true wonder especially when it takes off and immediately noses up high as if it were a nimble F-16.

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Vulcan10

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Vulcan11
    (Both of these photos were shot by myself at RIAT2009 in Fairford on 18Jul09)

It is worth noting that XH558 will be 50 years old next Tuesday 25th May 2010. For more details, one can visit Vulcan to the sky.

Well on to the build then.

I have some initial images of the major parts that make up the fuselage and the massive wings together with a couple of 'trees' that still hold some parts.
    Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Vulcan13

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Vulcan14

I must say that the kit is an old tooling and has been re-issued under several guises. The large amount of flash that surrounds every part is evidence to this.

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Vulcan15

I have already managed to clean up the wing and fuselage parts and proceeded to re-scribe these because the model features raised panel lines Evil or Very Mad.Luckily, the relatively flat surface areas lessened the chores associated with re-scribing. However, it is still a long job, which I am still at.

Meanwhile, I have assembled the intakes, after much filing, sanding and test fitting in order to get as much of a good fit as possible, because the way the parts are molded won't get me away without a considerable amount of filler to get smooth intake duct. Twisted Evil

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Vulcan16

I have also decided to get FlightPath's Vulcan B2 detail set that features a good sized fret of photo-etched detail together with resin replacement engine exhausts that correct the kit's bad representations of the Olympus 201 engines.

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Vulcan17.

At the moment I am considering what configuration the kit will receive. Surely it will be XH558 which is represented in the decal sheet. I am also tempted to scratch build the internal bomb bay and display this with open bay doors. Another consideration is some extra detailing to the interior of the massive undercarriage wells and finally I might also display the air-brakes that are part of the FlightPath PE detail set in the open position. I've seen photos of XH558 displaying both the bomb bay and airbrakes in the open position during one of the Open Days held and therefore although such a configuration might not make sense in ordinary operational situations, in a display setting would be perfectly legitimate.

This is all for my first post. I value any suggestions, opinions, reference material (hint,hint) and criticism from anyone who's in good faith, so please do not hesitate. I thank you all in advance.

Last edited by ascomt on Sun May 23, 2010 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    William
    William
    Bronze
    Bronze

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Empty Re: Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2

Post  William Sat May 22, 2010 5:37 pm

This will be a build I'll look out for Smile
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Sat May 22, 2010 5:56 pm

That's the spirit Alex iz-Zurrieqi Twisted Evil

Post  Guest Sat May 22, 2010 8:19 pm

Great project, and it will be a great build. A bomber with an open bomb bay is always wellcome. About the airbrakes, I think it is a matter of personal choice. One thing I would think twice about is using the kit decals, I would go for an aftermarket choice if there are any available on the market. Keep posting updates.
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sun May 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Great choice, where are the progress pics? ...... Not ready yet? Just joking. Interesting project.
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Sun May 23, 2010 4:03 pm

That's the spirit, keep up the good work on this monster.
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sun May 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Alex next Wed I bring you the cd full of Vulcan inf ...so make your research good study scratch ..Hehe just joking...as long as you builing models and you are happy thats good my friend.. here are some malta visit Vulcans and the ill fated XM645 photos...

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 645_lu10[/ur

[url=https://servimg.com/view/14225557/1205]Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Hal_fa10

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 12310

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 12210

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 123410

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 12410

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 444410
    ascomt
    ascomt
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  ascomt Sun May 23, 2010 6:42 pm

Wow Marco.....you're awesome!!! cheers What a Face

Those photos brought back some remote memories from my infancy when my mum and dad used to take me on Sunday afternoons for a 'picnic' in Luqa airfield's vicinty - you know... a couple of sandwiches and a thermos full of hot coffee in the cold winter afternoon are a Godsend whilst aircraft spotting - ok I had to make good with milk as I was still a kid and didn't pay a lot of attention, however I vividly recall the Vulcans, Canberras and an occassional Lightning as well.

Thanks for these recollections, mate . I'm sure that there are many of our fellow friends and modellers who are of the same age or older that experience the same feelings when watching these photos.

Cu all Wednesday then.
    in nannu pec
    in nannu pec
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  in nannu pec Sun May 23, 2010 6:52 pm

Marco nostalgic memories bil kbir.......reminded me how I used to spend a lot of time at park 4 years ago drooling at these really awesome machines...ONLY INCHES AWAY FROM THEM !!!!!!prosit xbin.....
    iN NANNU PEC What a Face
    ascomt
    ascomt
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  ascomt Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi again everyone

here's an update to this build. When I decided to beef up this monster, I knew that the task would chew up what little spare time I have. However I resolved to proceed along the path at whatever pace I could afford and hopefully be able to produce something that enhances the model.

So I started with the undercarriage. I cleaned up and assembled the undercarriage and nose wheel legs and attached the related PE.

My next targets were the wheel wells. I wanted to add further details to the insides of these "plain box" representations that the kit provides. However this meant that the walls would have to be widened a bit to allow for the extra items to fit in. I was afraid that if I removed the walls out completely, I would weaken the structure to which the undercarriage is to be attached to. So in order to avoid this issue, I removed all but the areas where the legs would be attached, thus not compromising the structural strength of the model.

At this point I also removed the areas where the top and bottom air-brakes will be fitted - to prepare for appropriate air-brake housings that will fill in and be covered with the PE framing provided by FlightPath. I constructed these housings out of thick plastic card and inserted extra walls to support the PE air brake legs. I then added piping and wiring to depict internal detail.

I next turned my attention to the nose wheel well,adding bits of plastic card, Evergreen strips and copper wire of different gauges to simulate the various pumps, piping and wiring.

The crew entry door right in front of the nose wheel can be shown in the open position and furthermore, there is a replacement PE ladder to further enhance this part. The insides of the kit, however are bare empty and so require some attention. I constructed the rear cockpit flooring that serves also as a roof to the immediate entry area that leads to the front bomb aimer's position. This is accompanied by a bulkhead to seal off the rear area. At the moment they are still a wip because I need further info before completing the detailing to these parts.

The main wheel wells were next in line. Here I needed to remove part of the outer wall that was depicted incorrectly in the kit and install a new wall cut out of thick plastic card. To this and the rest of the walls and well top, I added piping , wiring and components to depict the detail present that was otherwise omitted in the kit.

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Vulcan15

These pictures show the items in their raw state or unassembled in some areas. They'll all receive a good clean up of extra glue and filling up of slots etc together with a base coat and finally a proper paint job.

Next on the list will be the massive bomb bay. I hope to come back with an update when this is finished, following which I'll be in a position to start the final construction.

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed it.
    Tancred
    Tancred
    Admin

Post  Tancred Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Prosit hey Alex, what a comprehensive step by step Cool Well done and keep it up.

Tankred afro
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:16 pm

Prosit Alex...I see you are building the kit with passion...welldone ..thats the spirit... cheers

Post  Guest Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:20 pm

great detail work Alex, well done. Keep posting
    bcauchi
    bcauchi
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  bcauchi Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:21 pm

i have seen the detailing you are doing at the club and i have already told you that you are doing a fantastic job, very neat, clean and crisp detailing and all of it scratch. That is the way to go. That is going to be a very nice vulcan at the end. Great presentation of your work. Wish i had the time to play around like that.
    Ray
    Ray
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  Ray Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:56 am

Great work and cool pics Cool

Keep them rolling Twisted Evil
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:35 pm

Prosit and well done Smile
    iCocker
    iCocker
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  iCocker Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Nice detail there, looks this gonna be a great model, keep it up!
    Ivan
    AdriaN
    AdriaN
    Gold
    Gold

Post  AdriaN Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:59 pm

This might interest/help you. A walkaround round XM655 while it was ''live'' cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF5NRq5KJM0&feature=sub
    ascomt
    ascomt
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  ascomt Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Hello again everyone

Here's an update related mostly to the progress registered so far on the scratch building of the Vulcan's bomb bay.

After sifting through what documentation I have in hand, scouring the internet for photos and consulting other modellers who have already faced this daunting task I set about to start creating the various components that make up the gut of this immense aircraft.

The bell shaped roof structure does present some unwanted issues when one comes to think of how to tackle the roofing of the structure. I am using the thinnest plastic sheet that I could find in order to prepare for this part of the construction - I am still unsure if this will result as good as I would like it to be Exclamation Question Question Time will tell I guess.

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Bomb_bay_parts

I started by creating the ribbing on this sheet, only to end up with it looking a bit of a mess Embarassed because I marked it with pencil to serve as guides for the ribbing and this reacted with the super thin creating - a pre-wash effect. I hope that this will be attenuated when I give it the first couple of coats since this will be in white - hope it will not show too much through.

I then proceeded to create the various ribs that will eventually shape up the bomb bay and serve as structural members to the various sections. These came in three sizes with the thinnest proving the most challenging when I came to drill in those tiny holes No

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Bb_front_bulkhead

The Front and Aft bulkheads followed with particular attention to the various piping, boxes and wiring. These, as one would expect, took a considerable amount of time to shape and bring up together. At this point I also took care of the side walls of the bay.

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Bb_rear_bulkhead

Finally it was time to start assembling the lot. I started with aligning the side walls. It seemed fairly straight-forward...however when I came to test fit the intakes >>> Evil or Very Mad>>> disaster. The port intake seemed to be a bit thicker and would not fit in because of the newly installed bomb bay side wall.

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Bb_internal

Ok after a fair share of panic, I resolved to try and thin both items as much as they would permit.. and that seemed to calm the waters. I got every thing to fit in reasonably well. I am also in luck by the fact that the area where the wall that has been thinned down meets the fuselage, will be covered by the opened bomb-bay door. This thinned wall is clearly
    visible in the picture above.

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 BB_external2

The roofing members were next to be fitted in. These presented their own issues and took me quite some negotiating with the blade in hand to get them to sit tight. I created the various sheeting that covers and turns some of these ribs into structures. These received their fair share of riveting and extra detailing. Now it's shaping up pretty well. Finally I'm happy with the result.

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Bb_internal2

I decided not to glue in the fore and aft bulkheads and obviously the roofing till after I was ready with all the detailing.
    So I got on with installing some of the massive array of pipes that are white in colour and will therefore benefit from the initial spraying in.

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 BB_external

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Lower_fuselage

That's all for the moment. I am currently adding more piping detail to the side walls and creating the various other small components.... but more of that in the next update.....

Meanwhile thanks for watching - hope you enjoy.

Alex
    Cyril.
    Cyril.
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  Cyril. Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Fantastic build Very Happy
    Well detailed and very neat work,
    Enjoying your updates Very Happy Very Happy
    clioguy
    clioguy
    Bronze
    Bronze

Post  clioguy Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:36 am

Great work!! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
    Joseph
    Joseph
    Silver
    Silver

Post  Joseph Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:36 am

Well done, I think the end result would be fantastic.

Post  Guest Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:05 am

Nice work, well done!!
    Dottore
    Dottore
    Gold
    Gold

Airfix Avro Vulcan B Mk2 Empty Not an aircraft guy....

Post  Dottore Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:07 am

But I find such detailing irresistable and it keeps me on a project for months....
    Great work...truly impressive...hope all this work will be visible once finished though!

Kemm inhobb!

Dottore
    skyhigh
    skyhigh
    Best in Show
    Best in Show

Post  skyhigh Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:53 am

Hey Hey...Alex... this is going to be a master detail.. welldone for the work done yet... cheers

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:33 am